azithromycin

W

windex125

It's the ony thing that seems to calm my MAC I have not sused it in since last year, but when I am feeling bad I know it's the MAC acting up so I do take the artho. for 10 days, I feel great after. I realize I am taking a chance but I want to feel good today, at 57 I am not worrying abt running out of options. but everyone is different and it's effect on everyone is differently as well. Good luck. Pat -57 CF

W

windex125

It's the ony thing that seems to calm my MAC I have not sused it in since last year, but when I am feeling bad I know it's the MAC acting up so I do take the artho. for 10 days, I feel great after. I realize I am taking a chance but I want to feel good today, at 57 I am not worrying abt running out of options. but everyone is different and it's effect on everyone is differently as well. Good luck. Pat -57 CF

JennyCoulon

My 12 year old son was just prescibed to start this. He had a consistant cough that wouldn't go away which was tough for all of us as he has always been a zero cough kid except during treatments. We found out that he had allergy related asthma so he was put on Advair and several rounds of steroids to try and get the inflammation down to stop the coughing fits. After being put on the Advair and being on Zyrtec, Singular, Flonase nose spray and sinus rinsethe cough is much better. The last time that we went in they decided they were going to go ahead and start him on a round of antibotics in case there was something in there that hadn't cultured. Keep in mind Mason has never cultured Pseudomonas, MRSA, etc, (knock on wood). We were prescribed him to take this for 10 days and then continue it on M-W-F only to help as a proactive approach to any possible infection such as Pulmozyme does to the mucus. He has only been on it for about 3 weeks so we will see.

JennyCoulon

My 12 year old son was just prescibed to start this. He had a consistant cough that wouldn't go away which was tough for all of us as he has always been a zero cough kid except during treatments. We found out that he had allergy related asthma so he was put on Advair and several rounds of steroids to try and get the inflammation down to stop the coughing fits. After being put on the Advair and being on Zyrtec, Singular, Flonase nose spray and sinus rinsethe cough is much better. The last time that we went in they decided they were going to go ahead and start him on a round of antibotics in case there was something in there that hadn't cultured. Keep in mind Mason has never cultured Pseudomonas, MRSA, etc, (knock on wood). We were prescribed him to take this for 10 days and then continue it on M-W-F only to help as a proactive approach to any possible infection such as Pulmozyme does to the mucus. He has only been on it for about 3 weeks so we will see.

angelsmom

My daughter, age 7, started on MWF azithromycin a month ago and has been complaining of headaches and stomach aches ever since. She is also finishing up a month on Tobi, so I am waiting to see if being off Tobi makes a difference. Azithromycin was prescribed for her due to repeated pseudo cultures and the doc feels it has colonized. I am hoping we can find a way to ease the headaches and stomach trouble if she has to be on azithromycin long term, which appears to be where we are headed.
Edited to add that she is a "no cough" kid as well. Even when culturing pseudo, she typically has no cough.

angelsmom

My daughter, age 7, started on MWF azithromycin a month ago and has been complaining of headaches and stomach aches ever since. She is also finishing up a month on Tobi, so I am waiting to see if being off Tobi makes a difference. Azithromycin was prescribed for her due to repeated pseudo cultures and the doc feels it has colonized. I am hoping we can find a way to ease the headaches and stomach trouble if she has to be on azithromycin long term, which appears to be where we are headed.
Edited to add that she is a "no cough" kid as well. Even when culturing pseudo, she typically has no cough.

W

windex125

I also get the headaches and stomach aches occassionally, but not always which is weird, To me those are small things, compared to the benefit I feel. But I am much older and for a child to deal with that, well its not such a good thing. I am running out of options at this stage of my game. Good Luck to all. Pat-57/CF

W

windex125

I also get the headaches and stomach aches occassionally, but not always which is weird, To me those are small things, compared to the benefit I feel. But I am much older and for a child to deal with that, well its not such a good thing. I am running out of options at this stage of my game. Good Luck to all. Pat-57/CF

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS takes his before bed at the suggestion of people on this board who had stomach issues from it.

He used to take it at suppertime, but he was having stomach issues (vomit/upset) and we were trying to figure out if it was because we'd switched from a suspension to tablet form; however, it turned out he was having issues with an obstruction.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS takes his before bed at the suggestion of people on this board who had stomach issues from it.

He used to take it at suppertime, but he was having stomach issues (vomit/upset) and we were trying to figure out if it was because we'd switched from a suspension to tablet form; however, it turned out he was having issues with an obstruction.

TestifyToLove

Normally, I'm not found of prophy anbitiotics per se, especially not ones that would be used for years on end. However, Micah was having lots of inflammation issues that were causing lung exacerbations several years ago. Azithromycin has shown to have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Micah is not a candidate for high dose NSAIDs due to his liver disease and significantly low platelets. Zithro was our best option in leu of the NSAID therapy. It has made a tremendous difference in the wheezing in his lungs, especially between lung exacerbations. I doubt it is *everything* but with just Zithro we went nearly 2 years without lung exacerbations once it was started.

We have also, interestingly enough, weathered two household-wide strep infections since he began and he did NOT contract either of them.

TestifyToLove

Normally, I'm not found of prophy anbitiotics per se, especially not ones that would be used for years on end. However, Micah was having lots of inflammation issues that were causing lung exacerbations several years ago. Azithromycin has shown to have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Micah is not a candidate for high dose NSAIDs due to his liver disease and significantly low platelets. Zithro was our best option in leu of the NSAID therapy. It has made a tremendous difference in the wheezing in his lungs, especially between lung exacerbations. I doubt it is *everything* but with just Zithro we went nearly 2 years without lung exacerbations once it was started.

We have also, interestingly enough, weathered two household-wide strep infections since he began and he did NOT contract either of them.