Babies after transplant

alikey1

Hello.. Has anyone had children after transplant? If so how is it,and are you worried about immune system and getting sick. Me and my wife are thinkking of having another baby and thinking of these issues. thanks

alikey1

Hello.. Has anyone had children after transplant? If so how is it,and are you worried about immune system and getting sick. Me and my wife are thinkking of having another baby and thinking of these issues. thanks

alikey1

Lex

Do you mean the health of the mom or the risks of having a baby in the house?

I have a 2 year old and as the docs told me, "He's going to get sick. You're going to get sick. It will be fine."

Lex

I have a 2 year old and as the docs told me, "He's going to get sick. You're going to get sick. It will be fine."

Lex

<br />
<br />I have a 2 year old and as the docs told me, "He's going to get sick. You're going to get sick. It will be fine."

Transplantmommy

My son was born a year and 3 weeks before I had my transplant and I have been doing fine being around him when he gets sick. Of course, just like any "healthy" adult, if he gets a cold, I normally get it too. It just takes a little longer for it to go away.

Transplantmommy

My son was born a year and 3 weeks before I had my transplant and I have been doing fine being around him when he gets sick. Of course, just like any "healthy" adult, if he gets a cold, I normally get it too. It just takes a little longer for it to go away.

Transplantmommy

alikey1

Thanks for the replies, I had a double lung ransplant 2 years ago and my son is 8 yrs old now but we'd like to have more..BUT when my son was little every little bug, i'd get it too..So now im doing well I was wondering if anyone's had new children after transplant and how is health wise!!
Thanks again

alikey1

Thanks for the replies, I had a double lung ransplant 2 years ago and my son is 8 yrs old now but we'd like to have more..BUT when my son was little every little bug, i'd get it too..So now im doing well I was wondering if anyone's had new children after transplant and how is health wise!!
Thanks again

alikey1

<br />Thanks again

coltsfan715

Its possible but not recommended. I had "the talk" with my docs about 3 months post transplant - I didn't initiate it they did. They basically told me there was insanely high mortality rate for pregnant women post transplant. That being said - who knows if that is from carrying the child or normal deterioration of a transplant. Hard to call. I know there is one woman at my center that has had a child post transplant, her son is nearing 2 and she is doing great as well.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Its possible but not recommended. I had "the talk" with my docs about 3 months post transplant - I didn't initiate it they did. They basically told me there was insanely high mortality rate for pregnant women post transplant. That being said - who knows if that is from carrying the child or normal deterioration of a transplant. Hard to call. I know there is one woman at my center that has had a child post transplant, her son is nearing 2 and she is doing great as well.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />
<br />Lindsey

Transplantmommy

I was also told by my transplant center (Cleveland Clinic) that it is not advised to have children after transplant. Of course, no one told me this when they told me to terminate my pregnancy pre-tx. I had asked my CF doc what my chances were of having my own child again if I terminated the pregnancy (I was already being evaluated for transplant but was not listed yet), and when he told me he didn't know, that was it for me...I continued with the pregnancy. Knowing what I know now, I'm so happy that I didn't terminate the pregnancy. Brady is now a happy and healthy 4 year old!

As for being around new babies after transplant, I have been around a few. My best friend had a baby in December and my brother's girlfriend had a baby in October. I know that it's not like having your own and being around them every day, but I was/am around both of them fairly often and I have been fine.

Transplantmommy

I was also told by my transplant center (Cleveland Clinic) that it is not advised to have children after transplant. Of course, no one told me this when they told me to terminate my pregnancy pre-tx. I had asked my CF doc what my chances were of having my own child again if I terminated the pregnancy (I was already being evaluated for transplant but was not listed yet), and when he told me he didn't know, that was it for me...I continued with the pregnancy. Knowing what I know now, I'm so happy that I didn't terminate the pregnancy. Brady is now a happy and healthy 4 year old!

As for being around new babies after transplant, I have been around a few. My best friend had a baby in December and my brother's girlfriend had a baby in October. I know that it's not like having your own and being around them every day, but I was/am around both of them fairly often and I have been fine.