baby bottle sterilizers for nebs, etc

ehtansky21

robertsmith,
are you saying that i don't have to be buying distilled water to boil the nebs?? any tap water is o.k. to use???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

robertsmith,
are you saying that i don't have to be buying distilled water to boil the nebs?? any tap water is o.k. to use???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

robertsmith,

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

robertsmith,

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

robertsmith,
<br />are you saying that i don't have to be buying distilled water to boil the nebs?? any tap water is o.k. to use???
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

robertsmith1390

Very good question ehtansky.

I have researched this topic for about an hour now and even talked with a college professor. Distilled water and sterile water are two different forms of water and its very hard to compare them, they are mutually exclusive.

Distilled water is pure; but the definition of it has more to do with the loss of ions and minerals.

Sterile water is water free of biological comtaminants (ie boiling water to remove bugs is sterilizing water). Distilled water is not <i>necessarily</i> certified as being sterile in the end product. Whenever water is sterilized usually there is something to let you know it is. If you don't see that the water has been sterilized, you cannot be 100% sure that it is sterile. Which I'm sure you already knew because you are boiling it again.

Boiling tap water for 20 minutes has been shown to remove very hard to kill bugs.

If you are boiling distilled water then you are still worried organisms are still in it...if you boil both distilled water and tap water for the same length of time then I am under the impression that they would be comparable in the sterile sense of it; free of harmful organisms.

I hope this helps...in the end you have to do what you feel most comfortable with..I understand why you would be boiling it...i never even thought of doing it that way before.

robertsmith1390

I have researched this topic for about an hour now and even talked with a college professor. Distilled water and sterile water are two different forms of water and its very hard to compare them, they are mutually exclusive.

Distilled water is pure; but the definition of it has more to do with the loss of ions and minerals.

Sterile water is water free of biological comtaminants (ie boiling water to remove bugs is sterilizing water). Distilled water is not <i>necessarily</i> certified as being sterile in the end product. Whenever water is sterilized usually there is something to let you know it is. If you don't see that the water has been sterilized, you cannot be 100% sure that it is sterile. Which I'm sure you already knew because you are boiling it again.

Boiling tap water for 20 minutes has been shown to remove very hard to kill bugs.

If you are boiling distilled water then you are still worried organisms are still in it...if you boil both distilled water and tap water for the same length of time then I am under the impression that they would be comparable in the sterile sense of it; free of harmful organisms.

I hope this helps...in the end you have to do what you feel most comfortable with..I understand why you would be boiling it...i never even thought of doing it that way before.

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

<br />
<br />I have researched this topic for about an hour now and even talked with a college professor. Distilled water and sterile water are two different forms of water and its very hard to compare them, they are mutually exclusive.
<br />
<br />Distilled water is pure; but the definition of it has more to do with the loss of ions and minerals.
<br />
<br />Sterile water is water free of biological comtaminants (ie boiling water to remove bugs is sterilizing water). Distilled water is not <i>necessarily</i> certified as being sterile in the end product. Whenever water is sterilized usually there is something to let you know it is. If you don't see that the water has been sterilized, you cannot be 100% sure that it is sterile. Which I'm sure you already knew because you are boiling it again.
<br />
<br /> Boiling tap water for 20 minutes has been shown to remove very hard to kill bugs.
<br />
<br /> If you are boiling distilled water then you are still worried organisms are still in it...if you boil both distilled water and tap water for the same length of time then I am under the impression that they would be comparable in the sterile sense of it; free of harmful organisms.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps...in the end you have to do what you feel most comfortable with..I understand why you would be boiling it...i never even thought of doing it that way before.

ehtansky21

Robertsmith,
Oh man, you are a God Send!!!!! You have really helped me to feel confident in doing what i need to do to keep my kids as healthy as possible. You have really helped me on some other threads in addition to this one!!!

My conclusion.....
I will not use distilled water, as the cost definitely adds up and.... I will not use tap water as boiling will get rid of most of the bacterias but not the chemicals which are abundant in Arizon water.
I will just buy more store bought water, boil it for 5 minutes and then stick the nebs in.
Although, now I am wondering, were you saying that the water needs to be boiled for 20 minutes before even sticking the nebs in????

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Robertsmith,
Oh man, you are a God Send!!!!! You have really helped me to feel confident in doing what i need to do to keep my kids as healthy as possible. You have really helped me on some other threads in addition to this one!!!

My conclusion.....
I will not use distilled water, as the cost definitely adds up and.... I will not use tap water as boiling will get rid of most of the bacterias but not the chemicals which are abundant in Arizon water.
I will just buy more store bought water, boil it for 5 minutes and then stick the nebs in.
Although, now I am wondering, were you saying that the water needs to be boiled for 20 minutes before even sticking the nebs in????

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Robertsmith,

My conclusion.....

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Robertsmith,

My conclusion.....

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Robertsmith,
<br />Oh man, you are a God Send!!!!! You have really helped me to feel confident in doing what i need to do to keep my kids as healthy as possible. You have really helped me on some other threads in addition to this one!!!
<br />
<br />My conclusion.....
<br />I will not use distilled water, as the cost definitely adds up and.... I will not use tap water as boiling will get rid of most of the bacterias but not the chemicals which are abundant in Arizon water.
<br />I will just buy more store bought water, boil it for 5 minutes and then stick the nebs in.
<br />Although, now I am wondering, were you saying that the water needs to be boiled for 20 minutes before even sticking the nebs in????
<br />
<br />Blessings,
<br />Missa

robertsmith1390

Differences in partial pressure of air require different boiling lengths...however the increase in length of boiling would only apply if you lived in higher altitudes. In az you are probably ok with 5 minutes. 20 minutes insures that no matter what altitude and what bacteria are in the water, they will be killed. Spores are really hard to kill and might not be killed even after 20 minutes...but I don't think we really have to be concerned with those. Here is a link that i posted above but didn't realize it was broke until now. It explains how boiling sterilizes water.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/english/4morerh/4ip/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf">http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/e...p/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf</a>

robertsmith1390

Differences in partial pressure of air require different boiling lengths...however the increase in length of boiling would only apply if you lived in higher altitudes. In az you are probably ok with 5 minutes. 20 minutes insures that no matter what altitude and what bacteria are in the water, they will be killed. Spores are really hard to kill and might not be killed even after 20 minutes...but I don't think we really have to be concerned with those. Here is a link that i posted above but didn't realize it was broke until now. It explains how boiling sterilizes water.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/english/4morerh/4ip/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf">http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/e...p/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf</a>

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/english/4morerh/4ip/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf">http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/e...p/IP_manual/12_HLD.pdf</a>