baby shampoo sinus rinses

L

lifeisgood729

I notice that several people on here use baby shampoo in their sinus rinses. I tried this for a while on the recommendation of my ENT. I didn't notice a significant benefit, but after a few months, I totally lost my sense of smell. I stopped the shampoo, and it still took several months for me to get my sense back. It sounds minor, but it's really sad not being able to smell anything. I missed being able to smell/taste my food, and I realized it could be dangerous if I couldn't smell smoke.<br><br>Anyway, today I heard a report that said Johnsons baby shampoo contains some chemical that turns into formaldehyde and is potentially cancer-causing. It made me even more sure that I made the right decision to stop using it in my sinus rinses.<br><br>Just something for those of you who use it to consider or to speak to your doctor about.<br><br>Martha<br>43 w/CF<br>

L

lifeisgood729

I notice that several people on here use baby shampoo in their sinus rinses. I tried this for a while on the recommendation of my ENT. I didn't notice a significant benefit, but after a few months, I totally lost my sense of smell. I stopped the shampoo, and it still took several months for me to get my sense back. It sounds minor, but it's really sad not being able to smell anything. I missed being able to smell/taste my food, and I realized it could be dangerous if I couldn't smell smoke.<br><br>Anyway, today I heard a report that said Johnsons baby shampoo contains some chemical that turns into formaldehyde and is potentially cancer-causing. It made me even more sure that I made the right decision to stop using it in my sinus rinses.<br><br>Just something for those of you who use it to consider or to speak to your doctor about.<br><br>Martha<br>43 w/CF<br>

L

lifeisgood729

UNCLoveCF

Martha,
Your experience is not uncommon. When I asked my ENT about using baby shampoo several months ago he told me not to use baby shampoo sinus rinses because it could cause me to lose my sense of smell. I irrigate with sterile saline, Tobramycin, Bactroban and Pulmicort. I also add Grossan Breath Ease XL powder to my sinus irrigation. I have suffered with chronic since problems for the last 10 years and I do understand how frustrating it can be. I'm always amazed by how different doctors opinions can be in terms of using different therapies to treat our infections. I also discourage others from using baby shampoo in sinus irrigation; it is not worth the risk!

UNCLoveCF

Martha,
Your experience is not uncommon. When I asked my ENT about using baby shampoo several months ago he told me not to use baby shampoo sinus rinses because it could cause me to lose my sense of smell. I irrigate with sterile saline, Tobramycin, Bactroban and Pulmicort. I also add Grossan Breath Ease XL powder to my sinus irrigation. I have suffered with chronic since problems for the last 10 years and I do understand how frustrating it can be. I'm always amazed by how different doctors opinions can be in terms of using different therapies to treat our infections. I also discourage others from using baby shampoo in sinus irrigation; it is not worth the risk!

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,

UNCLoveCF

Martha,