Bacteria and Hypertonic Saline

Cerulean

I have both M. Abscessus and MAC. Both are a bacteria related to tuberculosis. I know a bit about microbiology Saline, or salting kills bacteria. That is why we sometimes salt meats and porks because it is a preservative and a bacterial killer.

I was just puffing on my saline this am and a question occured to me. Do these inhaled saline treatments kill these bacteria? I don't quite know. I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go for a visit, but I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Cerulean

I have both M. Abscessus and MAC. Both are a bacteria related to tuberculosis. I know a bit about microbiology Saline, or salting kills bacteria. That is why we sometimes salt meats and porks because it is a preservative and a bacterial killer.

I was just puffing on my saline this am and a question occured to me. Do these inhaled saline treatments kill these bacteria? I don't quite know. I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go for a visit, but I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Cerulean

<br />
<br />I was just puffing on my saline this am and a question occured to me. Do these inhaled saline treatments kill these bacteria? I don't quite know. I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go for a visit, but I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
i hear what your saying. I love HTS. The reason Hypertonic saline works is to hydrate the mucous to help it get coughed out. The clinical trials done with HTS proved that it's use decreased use of antibiotics and Cf exacerbations. I don't think it "kills" the bacteria. Maybe it makes the medium for the bacteria to grow; the lungs, the sinuses...a less hospitable environment for bacteria to grow.

For example, gargling with warm salty water soathes a sore throat...Does it kill the bacteria or help wash out the gunk?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
i hear what your saying. I love HTS. The reason Hypertonic saline works is to hydrate the mucous to help it get coughed out. The clinical trials done with HTS proved that it's use decreased use of antibiotics and Cf exacerbations. I don't think it "kills" the bacteria. Maybe it makes the medium for the bacteria to grow; the lungs, the sinuses...a less hospitable environment for bacteria to grow.

For example, gargling with warm salty water soathes a sore throat...Does it kill the bacteria or help wash out the gunk?

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />For example, gargling with warm salty water soathes a sore throat...Does it kill the bacteria or help wash out the gunk?

kmaried

So funny! My mom and I were discussing this the other day...

The reason you gargle w/ salt water when you're sick, is because it does kill bacteria. We inhale it in our lungs, because the salt draws fluid from the linings of our lungs into our airways and helps hydrate our mucous... making it less sticky and easier to move. In the same way, salt draws water out of bacteria which require water to survive. Therefore, when you gargle with salt water, you really are killing the bacteria in your throat.

The thing I'm not sure though - is if the HTS we inhale is strong enough to kill our super-bugs... like pseudomonas, staph, etc. My guess would be probably not.

kmaried

The reason you gargle w/ salt water when you're sick, is because it does kill bacteria. We inhale it in our lungs, because the salt draws fluid from the linings of our lungs into our airways and helps hydrate our mucous... making it less sticky and easier to move. In the same way, salt draws water out of bacteria which require water to survive. Therefore, when you gargle with salt water, you really are killing the bacteria in your throat.

The thing I'm not sure though - is if the HTS we inhale is strong enough to kill our super-bugs... like pseudomonas, staph, etc. My guess would be probably not.

kmaried

kmaried

kmaried

<br />
<br />The reason you gargle w/ salt water when you're sick, is because it does kill bacteria. We inhale it in our lungs, because the salt draws fluid from the linings of our lungs into our airways and helps hydrate our mucous... making it less sticky and easier to move. In the same way, salt draws water out of bacteria which require water to survive. Therefore, when you gargle with salt water, you really are killing the bacteria in your throat.
<br />
<br />The thing I'm not sure though - is if the HTS we inhale is strong enough to kill our super-bugs... like pseudomonas, staph, etc. My guess would be probably not.

theLostMiler

, Bacteria and Hypertonic Saline

I think hts has some antibiotic characteristics, well any salt water. Thats why for sinus flushes, adding salt has a couple reasons, one being that it acts a little bit like a sterilizer more than acting like a long lasting antibiotic persay...

The sore throat gargling, yes, I understood it to be that it draws the salt out of the cells of your "swollen" glands. The glands are swollen b/c of infection and when they are swollen they hurt, so if you can pull the salt out (osmosis?) then it helps with the soreness.

theLostMiler

I think hts has some antibiotic characteristics, well any salt water. Thats why for sinus flushes, adding salt has a couple reasons, one being that it acts a little bit like a sterilizer more than acting like a long lasting antibiotic persay...

The sore throat gargling, yes, I understood it to be that it draws the salt out of the cells of your "swollen" glands. The glands are swollen b/c of infection and when they are swollen they hurt, so if you can pull the salt out (osmosis?) then it helps with the soreness.

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />The sore throat gargling, yes, I understood it to be that it draws the salt out of the cells of your "swollen" glands. The glands are swollen b/c of infection and when they are swollen they hurt, so if you can pull the salt out (osmosis?) then it helps with the soreness.