Bactrim question

tesorotiffa

I take Bactrim DS twice a day every day for MRSA. I was thinking that just like every other antibiotic, taking it continuously could result in resistance. I asked my doc's PA, and she said absolutely not ... but it just doesn't make sense to me. I really don't understand why taking it continuously for years in no way alters it's efficacy.

For those of you taking Bactrim, have your docs ever said anything differently about it?

tesorotiffa

I take Bactrim DS twice a day every day for MRSA. I was thinking that just like every other antibiotic, taking it continuously could result in resistance. I asked my doc's PA, and she said absolutely not ... but it just doesn't make sense to me. I really don't understand why taking it continuously for years in no way alters it's efficacy.

For those of you taking Bactrim, have your docs ever said anything differently about it?

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />For those of you taking Bactrim, have your docs ever said anything differently about it?

B

bethylove

I contracted contracted MRSA about 2 years ago. They had me on Bactrim DS twice a day for a year... until I moved. When I moved my new doctors told me to stop taking Bactrim DS the twice a day. At the time I was put on Zyvox for 2 weeks to try to kick out any infection and get my MRSA in control. When I crashed after that I went in for a tune up. My numbers went up and I'm still off the Bactrim and now it's reserved for when I have a flare up. So chances are that you can become resistant to it. That's the feeling I got when I was told to stop taking it.

B

bethylove

I contracted contracted MRSA about 2 years ago. They had me on Bactrim DS twice a day for a year... until I moved. When I moved my new doctors told me to stop taking Bactrim DS the twice a day. At the time I was put on Zyvox for 2 weeks to try to kick out any infection and get my MRSA in control. When I crashed after that I went in for a tune up. My numbers went up and I'm still off the Bactrim and now it's reserved for when I have a flare up. So chances are that you can become resistant to it. That's the feeling I got when I was told to stop taking it.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

tesorotiffa

I lived in Italy for a little while last year, and when I got sick they told me to take Bactrim DS twice a day. I said I was already on it! But the point is that they use it as an alternative to iv antibiotics (such as cipro, etc.). My doc's PA's explanation was that the Bactrim is holding off the MRSA atleast a little bit so it's worth taking all of the time. However, for the past year I've been hospitalized almost every other month so it's obviously not holding it off too well! I may have to ask my actual doc as I've gotten the feeling that the PA just likes to give answers! ha.

Thanks for your reply though. It gives me something to go to my doc with! Are you taking anything for MRSA?

tesorotiffa

I lived in Italy for a little while last year, and when I got sick they told me to take Bactrim DS twice a day. I said I was already on it! But the point is that they use it as an alternative to iv antibiotics (such as cipro, etc.). My doc's PA's explanation was that the Bactrim is holding off the MRSA atleast a little bit so it's worth taking all of the time. However, for the past year I've been hospitalized almost every other month so it's obviously not holding it off too well! I may have to ask my actual doc as I've gotten the feeling that the PA just likes to give answers! ha.

Thanks for your reply though. It gives me something to go to my doc with! Are you taking anything for MRSA?

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Thanks for your reply though. It gives me something to go to my doc with! Are you taking anything for MRSA?

B

bethylove

Currently the only antibiotic that I'm taking is zithromax on a monday, wednesday, friday schedule for my PA. Nothing for MRSA at the moment.

B

bethylove

Currently the only antibiotic that I'm taking is zithromax on a monday, wednesday, friday schedule for my PA. Nothing for MRSA at the moment.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove