balance damaged by tobramycin?

kybert

a week ago i was quite dizzy and fainted. ever since then ive been permanently dizzy. we are all hoping its just a viral infection of the inner ear but there is a possibility its from all the tobramycin ive been on, in which case it may not be reversible. has anyone had their balance damaged by tob? if so how did it all start and when did you realise that it was not caused by something else? did it get any better?

argh its so bad. i cant drive, cant walk straight, everything jumps around and spins. i cant even get the toothbrush in my mouth rofl. i feel drunk.

kybert

a week ago i was quite dizzy and fainted. ever since then ive been permanently dizzy. we are all hoping its just a viral infection of the inner ear but there is a possibility its from all the tobramycin ive been on, in which case it may not be reversible. has anyone had their balance damaged by tob? if so how did it all start and when did you realise that it was not caused by something else? did it get any better?

argh its so bad. i cant drive, cant walk straight, everything jumps around and spins. i cant even get the toothbrush in my mouth rofl. i feel drunk.

kybert

JazzysMom

IN 2000 I had a bad time with balance. I was very low in my weight & very sick. I had been in the hospital for about 2 weeks when I went to the bathroom one day & the room spun. It continued to spin (like it does when you have a good drunk) causing me to hold onto anyone or anything for dear life & hope I didnt throw up. AT the time my PA was totally out of control & they really were hoping they didnt have to stop the Tobra. I had a hearing test which came back fine. They tried to stop/change a few other things & nothing worked. They finally had to stop the Tobra. Even tho my levels were fine it was a reaction from it. I dont remember how long it took to get things straightened out, but it seemed like YEARS LOL! I havent had the problem again, but my weight has never been that low either. I think it was just too much for my body at the time. I have had hearing tests since & no knew problems have shown.

JazzysMom

IN 2000 I had a bad time with balance. I was very low in my weight & very sick. I had been in the hospital for about 2 weeks when I went to the bathroom one day & the room spun. It continued to spin (like it does when you have a good drunk) causing me to hold onto anyone or anything for dear life & hope I didnt throw up. AT the time my PA was totally out of control & they really were hoping they didnt have to stop the Tobra. I had a hearing test which came back fine. They tried to stop/change a few other things & nothing worked. They finally had to stop the Tobra. Even tho my levels were fine it was a reaction from it. I dont remember how long it took to get things straightened out, but it seemed like YEARS LOL! I havent had the problem again, but my weight has never been that low either. I think it was just too much for my body at the time. I have had hearing tests since & no knew problems have shown.

JazzysMom

Scarlett81

over here! over here! (raises hand!)

Yes, I have the balance problem. And ringing in my ears. I'm sure its from too much Tobra. Too late now.

Scarlett81

Yes, I have the balance problem. And ringing in my ears. I'm sure its from too much Tobra. Too late now.

Scarlett81

princessjdc

I Get the ringing in my ears once in a while and once in awhile Ill get dizzy or the room will spin, not very long ago I felt a little dizzy getting up, but it went on by. No real big problem like what your describing just minor I guess you can say.

princessjdc

I Get the ringing in my ears once in a while and once in awhile Ill get dizzy or the room will spin, not very long ago I felt a little dizzy getting up, but it went on by. No real big problem like what your describing just minor I guess you can say.

princessjdc

M

MCGrad2006

Wow...thats really interesting. I never thought that Tobra could do that, but now that I look back, I have had some ear problems as well. I am on Tobra right now and my ears are like all wacked out. Every once in a while, my right ear will like pulsate and the hearing sometimes goes in and out. And thinking about it now, my dr did lower my tobra dose last week when I came home on IV's..hmmm. I'm sorry that I dont have any advice for you, and I know that my prob doesnt seem as severe, but I hope you feel better soon!!

M

MCGrad2006

Wow...thats really interesting. I never thought that Tobra could do that, but now that I look back, I have had some ear problems as well. I am on Tobra right now and my ears are like all wacked out. Every once in a while, my right ear will like pulsate and the hearing sometimes goes in and out. And thinking about it now, my dr did lower my tobra dose last week when I came home on IV's..hmmm. I'm sorry that I dont have any advice for you, and I know that my prob doesnt seem as severe, but I hope you feel better soon!!

M

MCGrad2006

beleache

Hi Kylie, About 2 years ago i went into kidney failure due to tobramycin.. a 2 week tune-up turned into a 6 week hosp. stay... 6 mos. of blood thinners, ringing in my ears ( still have it ) and balance problems. I went for physical therapy (that was specifically for imbalance) and within time was back to normal, driving and all !!! Hope your'e feeling beeter soon ... Joni 55 y/o f w c/f

beleache

Hi Kylie, About 2 years ago i went into kidney failure due to tobramycin.. a 2 week tune-up turned into a 6 week hosp. stay... 6 mos. of blood thinners, ringing in my ears ( still have it ) and balance problems. I went for physical therapy (that was specifically for imbalance) and within time was back to normal, driving and all !!! Hope your'e feeling beeter soon ... Joni 55 y/o f w c/f

beleache

Prussian

Had the same problem. I was on tobi IVs for 25 days. 2 weeks after finishing the treatment I began to have vision problems (jumpy vision). The Tobi had caused some damage to my inner ear. I went to physical therapy for 1 month and did excersies to correct the oscillopsia (sp?) (oscillopsia is just a fancy word for jumpy vision). Everything is 100% back to normal now. It took a good 2moths for things to back to 100%. I would strongly recommend going to an ENT.

Prussian

Had the same problem. I was on tobi IVs for 25 days. 2 weeks after finishing the treatment I began to have vision problems (jumpy vision). The Tobi had caused some damage to my inner ear. I went to physical therapy for 1 month and did excersies to correct the oscillopsia (sp?) (oscillopsia is just a fancy word for jumpy vision). Everything is 100% back to normal now. It took a good 2moths for things to back to 100%. I would strongly recommend going to an ENT.