Bathroom humidity

Hi - just remember to use the bleach - chloride solution a couple of times and after 24 hours wash with warm water and let dry. Use it on all surfaces like walls and floor and ceiling - but take down the tiles and plaster if you want to be 100% percent sure - at least up to 50 cm around the part that was flooded.
<br />
<br />You can add other cleaning solutions but without ammonia - ammonia and sodium chloride make a toxic gas.
<br />The basic for this - apart from a sutuation when you can acctually see the mold - is smelling if the room is damp.
<br />
<br />Good luck
<br />
<br />

kitomd21

We moved into our home a few years ago...just prior to moving in, there was a leak from upstairs into the kitchen below. Flooded the entire kitchen!! We were told that if it didn't dry out immediately, then mold would be an issue. We demanded that the house be treated with fungicide regardless of whether or not it dried out even the next day. It was treated and all of the affected areas were replaced. I would demand that they treat your apartment. Waiting months for it dry out will definitely result in a mold problem.

kitomd21

We moved into our home a few years ago...just prior to moving in, there was a leak from upstairs into the kitchen below. Flooded the entire kitchen!! We were told that if it didn't dry out immediately, then mold would be an issue. We demanded that the house be treated with fungicide regardless of whether or not it dried out even the next day. It was treated and all of the affected areas were replaced. I would demand that they treat your apartment. Waiting months for it dry out will definitely result in a mold problem.

kitomd21

Hi, I also though that maybe you can use a portable air-conditioner if you live in a warm and moist climate (instead of a dehumidifier which is not very effective - esspecialy those using chemicals - walls can accomadate alot of water). This brings humidity down alot. If not - most important is to just ventilate and heat up. If you live in a moderate climate - where temparature between 35 summer to -10 celsius (daytime) winter - you can also try to get a hygrometer to cheque if the humidyty in the room exceeds 50% if it does then make sure to ventilate and warm up and keep dry. If the water was clean water - then you don't have to sterilze the surfaces - and bring down tiles - maybe just the rifts - and use special antymold rifts to fill up later. A chloride solution works as a fungicide also - it acctually sterylizes.

Hi, I also though that maybe you can use a portable air-conditioner if you live in a warm and moist climate (instead of a dehumidifier which is not very effective - esspecialy those using chemicals - walls can accomadate alot of water). This brings humidity down alot. If not - most important is to just ventilate and heat up. If you live in a moderate climate - where temparature between 35 summer to -10 celsius (daytime) winter - you can also try to get a hygrometer to cheque if the humidyty in the room exceeds 50% if it does then make sure to ventilate and warm up and keep dry. If the water was clean water - then you don't have to sterilze the surfaces - and bring down tiles - maybe just the rifts - and use special antymold rifts to fill up later. A chloride solution works as a fungicide also - it acctually sterylizes.

<br />
<br />

ymikhale

thanks for all the advice. i got a dehumidifier where you can adjust a target humidity %, i put it on 10% and got so much water out already. of course mold is in the walls already and i am having a hard time even when using a bleach solution. will probably get a professional fungicide service and have insurance pay for this.

ymikhale

thanks for all the advice. i got a dehumidifier where you can adjust a target humidity %, i put it on 10% and got so much water out already. of course mold is in the walls already and i am having a hard time even when using a bleach solution. will probably get a professional fungicide service and have insurance pay for this.

ymikhale

If you have mold so quickly - visible - then the leak was there before and this means a big makeover and so on...if your insurene covers this - I'ld use it. But cheque if it's also not a problem in rooms located by the bathroom.

If you have mold so quickly - visible - then the leak was there before and this means a big makeover and so on...if your insurene covers this - I'ld use it. But cheque if it's also not a problem in rooms located by the bathroom.

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>AleksandraKaczynska</b></i>

If you have mold so quickly - visible - then the leak was there before and this means a big makeover and so on...if your insurene covers this - I'ld use it. But cheque if it's also not a problem in rooms located by the bathroom.</end quote></div>

Yup, i know it was there before. I did not see it immediately and even then the paint was taken off several weeks later, I had to evacuate my dd first so as not to expose her to the dust on top of everything. Luckily her room is not at all adjacent to the bathroom! Also our building is dated 1800's, so God knows what happened in these walls before we moved in!

thanks again

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>AleksandraKaczynska</b></i>

If you have mold so quickly - visible - then the leak was there before and this means a big makeover and so on...if your insurene covers this - I'ld use it. But cheque if it's also not a problem in rooms located by the bathroom.</end quote>

Yup, i know it was there before. I did not see it immediately and even then the paint was taken off several weeks later, I had to evacuate my dd first so as not to expose her to the dust on top of everything. Luckily her room is not at all adjacent to the bathroom! Also our building is dated 1800's, so God knows what happened in these walls before we moved in!

thanks again

ymikhale

<br />
<br />If you have mold so quickly - visible - then the leak was there before and this means a big makeover and so on...if your insurene covers this - I'ld use it. But cheque if it's also not a problem in rooms located by the bathroom.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Yup, i know it was there before. I did not see it immediately and even then the paint was taken off several weeks later, I had to evacuate my dd first so as not to expose her to the dust on top of everything. Luckily her room is not at all adjacent to the bathroom! Also our building is dated 1800's, so God knows what happened in these walls before we moved in!
<br />
<br />thanks again

Jimmya

it is the landlord/property owner legal responsibility to protect the tenants from this sort of thing, so if you are in doubt you need to push really hard for proper remedy of the situation! It will probably end up in a fight! But there is no way for it to remedied properly by any kind of device placed on the interior of the room. If you can smell it I'm quite certain that it is a hazard for your child and the rest of the family! It may come down to having to move if the property won't take care of it correctly.

Jimmya

it is the landlord/property owner legal responsibility to protect the tenants from this sort of thing, so if you are in doubt you need to push really hard for proper remedy of the situation! It will probably end up in a fight! But there is no way for it to remedied properly by any kind of device placed on the interior of the room. If you can smell it I'm quite certain that it is a hazard for your child and the rest of the family! It may come down to having to move if the property won't take care of it correctly.

Jimmya

I agree also - this is not a single flooding... but a bigger issue and all pipes should be chequed and not only in the apartment directly above you. Sometimes a leak can be a couple of floors above even - especially in older buildings.Or it can be even from the roof itself.
And in this case all palster and tiles should be removed - in rooms beside the bathroom also and everything should be dried out and dezynfected with putting special bars - heating - into the wall itself - and this you need someone to do it. I'm not sure how it's done in the U.S. and how it's covered by landlord or insurance.
But so far - ventilate as much as you can and get as much humidity out as you can.
And wash the walls - till you can get someone to do it properly or any other way you choose to solve this problem. It can really be a hazard to your health since you don't know whats growing up in the walls.
Sorry you have this problem.