being around babies/chemo patients

M

MCGrad2006

I am almost afraid to ask because I think I know the answer. I looked up a previous post on being around babies as a CFer (with mrsa and PA)...but I have some more questions. My cousin was diagnosed with colon cancer and is currently taking chemo. His wife just gave birth last night to thier second baby (big brother is only 14 months old...yikes!). I want to go visit the new baby and offer my assistance with the older one...but I dont want to put my cousin at risk.

Am I able to transmit my MRSA or PA to the chemo patient or his new baby girl? If I am careful is it ok for me to visit? If I am not coughing/sick can I visit them safely?

It is such a sad situation and I really want to help/visit. And I want to meet the new baby...

M

MCGrad2006

I am almost afraid to ask because I think I know the answer. I looked up a previous post on being around babies as a CFer (with mrsa and PA)...but I have some more questions. My cousin was diagnosed with colon cancer and is currently taking chemo. His wife just gave birth last night to thier second baby (big brother is only 14 months old...yikes!). I want to go visit the new baby and offer my assistance with the older one...but I dont want to put my cousin at risk.

Am I able to transmit my MRSA or PA to the chemo patient or his new baby girl? If I am careful is it ok for me to visit? If I am not coughing/sick can I visit them safely?

It is such a sad situation and I really want to help/visit. And I want to meet the new baby...

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />Am I able to transmit my MRSA or PA to the chemo patient or his new baby girl? If I am careful is it ok for me to visit? If I am not coughing/sick can I visit them safely?
<br />
<br />It is such a sad situation and I really want to help/visit. And I want to meet the new baby...

M

MCGrad2006

Oh btw...if my cousin is not around (like at work) does that still put him at risk? I guess what I am trying to say is, when they say 'contact precautions' is that like only if I give him a hug or get very close to him? Or can my MRSA still be lurking about in the air after I have gone?

I would appreciate any/all input. Please say a prayer for them as well.

M

MCGrad2006

Oh btw...if my cousin is not around (like at work) does that still put him at risk? I guess what I am trying to say is, when they say 'contact precautions' is that like only if I give him a hug or get very close to him? Or can my MRSA still be lurking about in the air after I have gone?

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />I would appreciate any/all input. Please say a prayer for them as well.

robert321

A cfer can transmit mrsa to other people, especially chemo patients, as they are immunosuppressed to begin with. If other family members are available to help out, i think you would be the most help by not helping. I don't know about if the person wasn't around at the time of your visit, I would think it would reduce the risk but I don't know that it would completely eliminate it.
Also I don't know about mrsa and babies

robert321

A cfer can transmit mrsa to other people, especially chemo patients, as they are immunosuppressed to begin with. If other family members are available to help out, i think you would be the most help by not helping. I don't know about if the person wasn't around at the time of your visit, I would think it would reduce the risk but I don't know that it would completely eliminate it.

robert321

robert321

robert321

<br />Also I don't know about mrsa and babies

saveferris2009

Ya you can definitely transmit PA or MRSA to someone on chemo.

PA or MRSA can live on surfaces (door nobs, the floor, the couch, anywhere) for nearly 7 days.

saveferris2009

PA or MRSA can live on surfaces (door nobs, the floor, the couch, anywhere) for nearly 7 days.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />PA or MRSA can live on surfaces (door nobs, the floor, the couch, anywhere) for nearly 7 days.
<br />
<br />