Bi-Polar disorder and Cystic Fibrosis

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>treehugger</b></i>

I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania.

Thanks,

Treehugger</end quote></div>

I'm not proposing that this is a solution by any means, but a lot of what I'm reading suggests that vitamin B12 may be a useful option. Vitamin B12 is the only water-soluble vitamin that CFers tend to be be insufficient in. Mega-doses of vitamin B12 are useful for improving and stabilizing mood. It also helps with anxiety, and interestingly enough, calms down mania associated with bipolar.

Since it's a vitamin, there is less to worry about in terms of side effects. One of the positive side effects is that vitamin B12 may stimulate appetite. Good news for those of use who are in "nutritional failure" status.

Those who are pancreatic insufficient will have a difficult time absorbing B12. People who need it as part of their treatment usually with have to have it injected in order to make sure it gets into the body in the proper concentration to do any good.

I hope that's helpful!

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>treehugger</b></i>

I would be interested in hearing what drugs bipolar CF patients are prescribed. I found that my psych doctor didn't know much about cf. I agree-lithium presents problems with cf. A side effect of seroquel is diabetes. Other drugs can cause liver problems. I tried Lamictal for bipolar II but found I got a rash fairly easily and was concerned that my rash likliehood would increase with antibiotics. In addition, I read that suicides are more common with bipolar II because people with II have more depression than hypomania.

Thanks,

Treehugger</end quote></div>

I'm not proposing that this is a solution by any means, but a lot of what I'm reading suggests that vitamin B12 may be a useful option. Vitamin B12 is the only water-soluble vitamin that CFers tend to be be insufficient in. Mega-doses of vitamin B12 are useful for improving and stabilizing mood. It also helps with anxiety, and interestingly enough, calms down mania associated with bipolar.

Since it's a vitamin, there is less to worry about in terms of side effects. One of the positive side effects is that vitamin B12 may stimulate appetite. Good news for those of use who are in "nutritional failure" status.

Those who are pancreatic insufficient will have a difficult time absorbing B12. People who need it as part of their treatment usually with have to have it injected in order to make sure it gets into the body in the proper concentration to do any good.

I hope that's helpful!