BIPAP Machine

cnsky54RRT

Is anyone here using a bipap or cpap machine to sleep? My cf friend was urged by her cf doc to use one as a way of looking after herself prior to getting onto the transplant list. I set it up for her last night, and she managed some sleep with it (not totally happily) but we haven't got the humidity quite right yet. I warned her it might stir up deep secretions, and sure enough, she was coughing up buckets of crud last night. I think as she uses it nightly that it will help with clearance and get her to a lower level of stuff in her lungs. Settings are pretty minimal, but she was previously getting a headache in the mornings, probably from high CO2 levels from poor aeration. Headache was non-existant this morning! I am hoping this will serve a dual purpose of blood gas normalization and mucus clearance.

Anyone else had success with a machine at night, or was it a burden to be put up with?

cnsky54RRT

Is anyone here using a bipap or cpap machine to sleep? My cf friend was urged by her cf doc to use one as a way of looking after herself prior to getting onto the transplant list. I set it up for her last night, and she managed some sleep with it (not totally happily) but we haven't got the humidity quite right yet. I warned her it might stir up deep secretions, and sure enough, she was coughing up buckets of crud last night. I think as she uses it nightly that it will help with clearance and get her to a lower level of stuff in her lungs. Settings are pretty minimal, but she was previously getting a headache in the mornings, probably from high CO2 levels from poor aeration. Headache was non-existant this morning! I am hoping this will serve a dual purpose of blood gas normalization and mucus clearance.

Anyone else had success with a machine at night, or was it a burden to be put up with?

cnsky54RRT

<br />
<br />Anyone else had success with a machine at night, or was it a burden to be put up with?

cnsky54RRT

And has anyone noticed an improvement in PFTs after starting the machine? Her peak flows were not great yesterday at the hospital, but after the night on the machine and coughing out deep junk she felt like she could have blown a much better number. Wish we could have done a before/after PF.

cnsky54RRT

And has anyone noticed an improvement in PFTs after starting the machine? Her peak flows were not great yesterday at the hospital, but after the night on the machine and coughing out deep junk she felt like she could have blown a much better number. Wish we could have done a before/after PF.

cnsky54RRT

Marjolein

Did she start it at home?
Overhere when you get it you have to be in ICU the first few night.
As they will monitor you closely, check your sats and CO2 level. So they can adjust the setting to the bipap machine.

I never had it myself, there was only talk about it. So sorry I can't be of much help.

Marjolein

Overhere when you get it you have to be in ICU the first few night.
As they will monitor you closely, check your sats and CO2 level. So they can adjust the setting to the bipap machine.

I never had it myself, there was only talk about it. So sorry I can't be of much help.

Marjolein

<br />Overhere when you get it you have to be in ICU the first few night.
<br />As they will monitor you closely, check your sats and CO2 level. So they can adjust the setting to the bipap machine.
<br />
<br />I never had it myself, there was only talk about it. So sorry I can't be of much help.

cnsky54RRT

Actually, she never mentioned to me that she was supposed to use the machine, and it was a huge surprise to me that she had had this one in her closet for two years before I set it up. Her only experience with one was in the ICU on an admit that required intubation and a few days on a ventilator, but that was early this year. At that time she had this in the closet and never told me.

The pressure settings are 6/4, very minimal, and 2 liters of oxygen is bled in. I suspect that originally it was ordered to decrease her breathing effort at night. If there had been a sleep study and a genuine need for extra ventilation the settings would likely not have been so low. Now, two years later, there are some morning headaches caused by CO2 retention, and the bipap has stopped those, plus the clearance bonus as written above.

cnsky54RRT

Actually, she never mentioned to me that she was supposed to use the machine, and it was a huge surprise to me that she had had this one in her closet for two years before I set it up. Her only experience with one was in the ICU on an admit that required intubation and a few days on a ventilator, but that was early this year. At that time she had this in the closet and never told me.

The pressure settings are 6/4, very minimal, and 2 liters of oxygen is bled in. I suspect that originally it was ordered to decrease her breathing effort at night. If there had been a sleep study and a genuine need for extra ventilation the settings would likely not have been so low. Now, two years later, there are some morning headaches caused by CO2 retention, and the bipap has stopped those, plus the clearance bonus as written above.

cnsky54RRT

<br />
<br />The pressure settings are 6/4, very minimal, and 2 liters of oxygen is bled in. I suspect that originally it was ordered to decrease her breathing effort at night. If there had been a sleep study and a genuine need for extra ventilation the settings would likely not have been so low. Now, two years later, there are some morning headaches caused by CO2 retention, and the bipap has stopped those, plus the clearance bonus as written above.

albino15

My friend uses a cpap machine for sleep apnea, it took her some getting use to (she took it off in her sleep). It seems to help her a lot though, she use to wake up with headaches.

albino15

My friend uses a cpap machine for sleep apnea, it took her some getting use to (she took it off in her sleep). It seems to help her a lot though, she use to wake up with headaches.

albino15