blood sugar

AmyKins

I am on prednizone for a couple weeks- its making my blood sugars real high. Im eating like a cow lately, but I got on the scale tonight & my weight is down (which is sooo hard for me to maintain anyways). They "say" I have CFRD, but unless Im on pred. my blood sugars are always perfect. High blood sugar can cause a decrease in weight even though Im eating a lot more than normal right? has anyone else had this issue??

thelizardqueen

One of my main symptoms of CFRD was chronic weight loss even though I was eating like a horse. My doctors actually thought that I was bulemic or anoerexia because I was getting so thin. Prednisone can make your sugars high. Have your doctors thought of taking you off it? If not, more then likely you will get CFRD if your sugars remain high.

coltsfan715

Hey Amy,

I had this problem before I was diagnosed with CFRD. I ended up losing about 20 lbs before they figured out what the problem was.

When your BS runs high consistently it means that your body isn't converting the sugars to energy (I know you probably know that). If your body stays in that mode for a prolonged period the extra sugars can start to be "excreted" through your urine, then you have to get energy from somewhere and your body starts to burn your fat reserves. You can get ketone sticks. If you either urinate on them or dip them in a sample of your urine you can tell if you are in ketosis (sp?- also not 100% if that is the exact term for it but it is close if not), all that means (in case you don't know) is that the excess sugars in your body are coming out in your urine because it is basically to much for you blood to handle. When you are in ketosis you start to lose weight.

If you get your blood sugar under control you will probably notice that you aren't losing the weight like you are now. I know that is how my experience with it has gone.

Maybe you can talk to your doc about it if you are not on insulin or anything to control your BS. If you are I would call your endocrinologist and ask them what you need to do to help regulate your sugars cause you are losing weight and on prednisone and all. I know my endocrinologist has told me to increase my insulin doses when I am on prednisone (I take insulin every meal time .. so 3-4 times a day).

Good Luck and I hope you get it all worked out.

Lindsey

anonymous

I was just on prednisone for five days. I usually have to monitor my blood sugar but I've never been insulin. That changed last week. The prednisone sent my sugar through the roof. So I've been on insulin like a week and am trying to get back to where I was.

thelizardqueen

Once you're on insulin, you should start to notice the weight gain within a month I think. I lost 30 pounds before I was diagnosed, and I gained it all back within 2 months.