Blood sugar

chipper28

I was at lunch the other day with a diabetic friend and some how in the course of the conversation, we ended up taking my blood sugar. Now, I have no diabetes issues of any types (that's why I'm saying this is off topic), but I am always curious about the quantitative numbers of health, so I'm hoping someone can give me an understanding of what numbers are good. I had read between 70 and 150, but then I was reading Kate's blog and it said 90-100.

So, what's the real deal? I was 102 a little before noon, but I'd eaten nothing that day because I'm retarded and let work distract me. I'm thinking the number changes with eating (goes up) and that it probably is lowest first thing, but what are "acceptable" ranges for fasting and post eating?

Again, I know that my reading in perfectly fine and I'm not concerned about it. Just curious and thought I'd see what the wealth of knowledge on this board has to say.

coltsfan715

The average range for someone without diabetes is 80-120.

If you have blood work done and have been fasting (like no food over night and check it first thing in the morning) you should have a blood sugar below 100 or around 100 or something like that - again for "normal" patients without diabetes.

My doc told me that if your blood sugar is more than 200 - 2 hours after eating you are possibly diabetic. I have also read that your blood sugar should be roughly 20 pts higher than it was before food (example: I check my sugar it is 110 before lunch 2 hrs later if I check it should be around 130 or so). I do not know if that is accurate, as I haven't researched it much. I actually think I read that on here - about the blood sugar being 20 pts higher thing.

Kate was simple saying that (90-110) is where her sugars are when she feels her best and also what they have been running for her lately. At least that is what I gathered from her blog.

As for Hemoglobin A1C levels - if your office does them annually I don't know - I was told by my doc that for a person without diabetes the level should be 6.2-6.3 in that range, Anything over 7.0 they should diagnose you with diabetes (again just what my doc told me). I was also told that they like to see CF diabetes patients keep their hemoglobin A1C levels below 6.0 because it can help to control some of the inflammation in the lungs. Meaning if your blood sugars run high - your body thinks you are sick and your immune system starts to fight an infection. If your sugars are simply high and you are not sick you are going to get unnecessary inflammation in your lungs and such. As for the way that the Hemoglobin A1C levels compare to actual blood sugar I do not know for sure. I have seen charts but can not recall how the numbers correlate.

Hope that wasn't too much info.

Lindsey

*hemoglobin A1C is a number that can show what a person's blood glucose has been averaging over a 3-4 months period. Instead of a single finger prick that shows what your sugar is at that exact moment.

ladybug

Lindsey:

I'm the one who posted about the 20 point range. When I was in a diabetic study for CFRD, they told me WITH insulin, if I can get my glucose level back to about 20 points higher (or even closer) post-meal than what it was pre-meal, I'm taking the correct amount of insulin. Now, that was with insulin dosing, so not sure if the "average" non-diabetic would have the same results.

I also know for me insulin dosing and staying within the normal range has been very difficult for me. I try to do the 1 unit per 15 carbs and I RARELY get within 20 points of what it was pre-meal. And, when I do, I better have food nearby, cause I plummet within 1/2 hour. This whole CFRD thing has been nothing but a mess for me.

Chipper:

Have you ever had an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test? That is really the only way they can accurately diagnose CFRD (or diabetes for that matter). I know many clinics are starting to do them annually for non-CFRD people just to keep on top of it. You may want to suggest it to your clinic. I've been told people's A1C is not a true picture of diabetes for CFRD. I've also been told just checking fasting in the morning on your own may also not indicate CFRD (or lack of). I am always below 100 in my morning fasting rate, but I am still very diabetic according to an oral glucose test and my post-meal levels. Just cause you're normal in the morning does not mean you're not diabetic. Not to alarm you, but its good to know. Your best bet is to have an Oral Glucose Test to make sure if you're curious.