Bob Beall, CEO of CF Foundation

just1more

Sorry, I normally quote sources, see link to actual press release from Vertex below.
<br />
<br />Compared to the placebo group, the improvement was 10.6% at 24wks, and 10.5% at 48wks. It also mentions a 16.7% improvement but does not clarify the difference.
<br />
<br />In addition FEV1 for the study group was ~63.5 (so ~50 pre-treatment??)
<br />
<br />
<br />Vertex Pharmaceutical Press Release: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://investors.vrtx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=551869">http://investors.vrtx.com/rele...l.cfm?ReleaseID=551869</a>

juliesdreamteam

No biggie. I appreciate the link for the data. I can only verify that which was stated in the video. I'm certain that it would be better for the hard data to be used. I think we can both agree....a step in the right direction it seems. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Roy Ice
Julie's Dream Team

juliesdreamteam

No biggie. I appreciate the link for the data. I can only verify that which was stated in the video. I'm certain that it would be better for the hard data to be used. I think we can both agree....a step in the right direction it seems. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Roy Ice
Julie's Dream Team

juliesdreamteam

<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />
<br />Roy Ice
<br />Julie's Dream Team

jmiller

Some more encouraging info: A friend of mine is a parent of a child with G551D. During the trial she put on lots of weight (and had to practice portion control rather than "eat like a grown man"), was no longer salty tasting, and (during pre and post bronchoscopy) saw her scarred tubes heal up to a pink and healthy appearance. Very encouraging stuff.

While this drug will likely not affect many of us... it is evidence that scientists are understanding how to correct the protein production/transportation issues. I feel that this is the tip of the ice berg.

jmiller

Some more encouraging info: A friend of mine is a parent of a child with G551D. During the trial she put on lots of weight (and had to practice portion control rather than "eat like a grown man"), was no longer salty tasting, and (during pre and post bronchoscopy) saw her scarred tubes heal up to a pink and healthy appearance. Very encouraging stuff.

While this drug will likely not affect many of us... it is evidence that scientists are understanding how to correct the protein production/transportation issues. I feel that this is the tip of the ice berg.

jmiller

<br />
<br />While this drug will likely not affect many of us... it is evidence that scientists are understanding how to correct the protein production/transportation issues. I feel that this is the tip of the ice berg.

juliesdreamteam

HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT JMILLER!!!!!!!!!!? I can't raise enough money to end this disease fast enough. Very happy to hear that for the child mentioned in your post. We'll keep pushing towards our end goal of a cure for ALL people cystic fibrosis. Beautiful news indeed.

God Bless,

Roy E. Ice
Julie's Dream Team

juliesdreamteam

HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT JMILLER!!!!!!!!!!? I can't raise enough money to end this disease fast enough. Very happy to hear that for the child mentioned in your post. We'll keep pushing towards our end goal of a cure for ALL people cystic fibrosis. Beautiful news indeed.

God Bless,

Roy E. Ice
Julie's Dream Team

juliesdreamteam

<br />
<br />God Bless,
<br />
<br />Roy E. Ice
<br />Julie's Dream Team

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In addition FEV1 for the study group was ~63.5 (so ~50 pre-treatment??)</end quote></div>
No... it looks like the average fev1 of both trial groups was in that range... the article states this:
"Baseline lung function in STRIVE was 63.5 percent predicted for patients in the VX-770 treatment group and 63.7 percent predicted among those in the placebo control group." So an increase of 10.6% would bump the treatment group up to about 70.2%.

This utterly confuses me though... we see this quote in many press releases: Results of the STRIVE study showed that people treated with VX-770 achieved a <i>mean absolute improvement from baseline compared to placebo</i> of 10.6%.

What does THIS mean, in comparison? "In addition, people treated with VX-770 experienced a 16.7 percent <i>relative mean improvement in lung function from baseline compared to placebo</i>."

Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In addition FEV1 for the study group was ~63.5 (so ~50 pre-treatment??)</end quote>
No... it looks like the average fev1 of both trial groups was in that range... the article states this:
"Baseline lung function in STRIVE was 63.5 percent predicted for patients in the VX-770 treatment group and 63.7 percent predicted among those in the placebo control group." So an increase of 10.6% would bump the treatment group up to about 70.2%.

This utterly confuses me though... we see this quote in many press releases: Results of the STRIVE study showed that people treated with VX-770 achieved a <i>mean absolute improvement from baseline compared to placebo</i> of 10.6%.

What does THIS mean, in comparison? "In addition, people treated with VX-770 experienced a 16.7 percent <i>relative mean improvement in lung function from baseline compared to placebo</i>."

Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In addition FEV1 for the study group was ~63.5 (so ~50 pre-treatment??)</end quote>
<br />No... it looks like the average fev1 of both trial groups was in that range... the article states this:
<br />"Baseline lung function in STRIVE was 63.5 percent predicted for patients in the VX-770 treatment group and 63.7 percent predicted among those in the placebo control group." So an increase of 10.6% would bump the treatment group up to about 70.2%.
<br />
<br />This utterly confuses me though... we see this quote in many press releases: Results of the STRIVE study showed that people treated with VX-770 achieved a <i>mean absolute improvement from baseline compared to placebo</i> of 10.6%.
<br />
<br />What does THIS mean, in comparison? "In addition, people treated with VX-770 experienced a 16.7 percent <i>relative mean improvement in lung function from baseline compared to placebo</i>."
<br />
<br />Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?

ktsmom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>

Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?</end quote></div>

Relavtive mean is an actual statistic all of its own, and quantifies the mean difference in comparison to the size of the mean. Wikipedia has an example - can't quote it because their website is down right now. But in my mind this stat indicates that the increase was even better than it appears in absolute numbers.

ktsmom

Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?</end quote>

Relavtive mean is an actual statistic all of its own, and quantifies the mean difference in comparison to the size of the mean. Wikipedia has an example - can't quote it because their website is down right now. But in my mind this stat indicates that the increase was even better than it appears in absolute numbers.

ktsmom

<br />
<br />What does THIS mean, in comparison? "In addition, people treated with VX-770 experienced a 16.7 percent <i>relative mean improvement in lung function from baseline compared to placebo</i>."
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Statistically speaking, what does that 2nd one even mean? Other lung functions aside from fev1? Other ways of spinning the numbers entirely?</end quote>
<br />
<br />Relavtive mean is an actual statistic all of its own, and quantifies the mean difference in comparison to the size of the mean. Wikipedia has an example - can't quote it because their website is down right now. But in my mind this stat indicates that the increase was even better than it appears in absolute numbers.

hmw

I tried looking it up and could not understand the math at all- none of the examples I could find involved 'real' numbers.

The 16% would be more exciting to me if they could tell us exactly what was seen- the 10.6% increase in fev1 that I can mathematically apply to their starting baseline is something tangible and gives me hope for what to look forward to with the 770/809 trials. I don't know how to interpret that 16% with nothing solid to apply it to and I wish they told us more, because that is such a *bigger* number, ya know?

hmw

I tried looking it up and could not understand the math at all- none of the examples I could find involved 'real' numbers.

The 16% would be more exciting to me if they could tell us exactly what was seen- the 10.6% increase in fev1 that I can mathematically apply to their starting baseline is something tangible and gives me hope for what to look forward to with the 770/809 trials. I don't know how to interpret that 16% with nothing solid to apply it to and I wish they told us more, because that is such a *bigger* number, ya know?

hmw

<br />
<br />The 16% would be more exciting to me if they could tell us exactly what was seen- the 10.6% increase in fev1 that I can mathematically apply to their starting baseline is something tangible and gives me hope for what to look forward to with the 770/809 trials. I don't know how to interpret that 16% with nothing solid to apply it to and I wish they told us more, because that is such a *bigger* number, ya know?

just1more

Ok, putting on my math teacher hat:

absolute mean = good old average = ie, if you add everyone's improvement/decreases and divide by the # of participants. This came out at 10.6%. NOTE: This can and is tweaked by odd results, such as someone(s) with a decrease in FEV1, or maybe someone with a great improvement.

relative mean = calculus to try and discount the impact of results the farther they are from the average. IE if the absolute mean was 100; then in relative mean results between 80-120 would have more impact on the reported # than a result of 38. The math is pretty nasty; though I will explain via PM if anyone really has a burning desire to know.

So ultimately, if you take everyone they saw at 10.6% increase. If you only counted the 'normal' patients results then it was closer to 17%.