Borderline sweat test???

Dylan000

Hi my name is cristin. My son Dylan is 8 yr old and has fought sinus infection for years. We have had 4 set of tubes, 2 sinus irrigations, 1 sinus surgery with polyups. He has also developed staph in his sinuses. So his last surgery the ent deiced that we should go get a sweat test the first one was 50 then he sent us to childrens in little rock and it was 53.6 so now we have to take him back on friday to get another one done. If that one come back borderline then they said they would do the dna gentic on him. Over the past year he has started to get the productive cough, also clearing his throat. He weights about 90 lbs and we have no problem getting him to eat. He eat all the time he says he is hungry all the time. Just thought i would see if anyone just has the sinus problems like my son does. I am knew to this site and i have already learned so much.

cristin (mommy to) Dylan 8 yr

Dylan000

Hi my name is cristin. My son Dylan is 8 yr old and has fought sinus infection for years. We have had 4 set of tubes, 2 sinus irrigations, 1 sinus surgery with polyups. He has also developed staph in his sinuses. So his last surgery the ent deiced that we should go get a sweat test the first one was 50 then he sent us to childrens in little rock and it was 53.6 so now we have to take him back on friday to get another one done. If that one come back borderline then they said they would do the dna gentic on him. Over the past year he has started to get the productive cough, also clearing his throat. He weights about 90 lbs and we have no problem getting him to eat. He eat all the time he says he is hungry all the time. Just thought i would see if anyone just has the sinus problems like my son does. I am knew to this site and i have already learned so much.

Dylan000

Dylan000

Dylan000

<br />
<br />cristin (mommy to) Dylan 8 yr

MicheleGazelle

I am primarily a sinus sufferer. I was diagnosed with "atypical CF" with sweat chlorides of 41. They did DNA tests and found nothing. My insurance then turned down the request for a more expensive, more comprehensive DNA test.

My pulmonologist said that with my medical history and the fact that I was improving on CF treatments, it looks like CF to him. My son was also diagnosed with sweat tests of 41 and mostly sinus problems.

MicheleGazelle

I am primarily a sinus sufferer. I was diagnosed with "atypical CF" with sweat chlorides of 41. They did DNA tests and found nothing. My insurance then turned down the request for a more expensive, more comprehensive DNA test.

My pulmonologist said that with my medical history and the fact that I was improving on CF treatments, it looks like CF to him. My son was also diagnosed with sweat tests of 41 and mostly sinus problems.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />My pulmonologist said that with my medical history and the fact that I was improving on CF treatments, it looks like CF to him. My son was also diagnosed with sweat tests of 41 and mostly sinus problems.

Alyssa

My son's sweat test number is 41 and my daughter's is 38. The official cut off for "normal" is 40 and under, so my daughter went for 8 years with an incorrect diagnosis because they said that her sweat test was "normal". DNA testing confirmed that both kids have two well known CF genes. Delta F508 and R117H. Sweat testing is not always the perfect predictor of CF - when sweat test numbers are clearly high it's very reliable, however there are so many cases now that are showing up with lower sweat test numbers that I do not feel they should be relied on as the only test result to consider.

Please see my blog page for details - but the short story is, high normal or borderline sweat test numbers with few or even no CF symptoms can still mean CF. We didn't see any CF symptoms in our son until age 21 - he also didn't get sweat tested or DNA tested until age 18. Had it not been for his sisters diagnosis, we would not have had him tested and would not have known he was experiencing CF symptoms later on.

So please keep pursuing the testing and treatment, it is very possible that your child does have CF and he is going to need to be followed and treated. Getting the diagnosis of CF is not a fun experience, but getting the correct treatment for CF sure is beneficial.

Alyssa

My son's sweat test number is 41 and my daughter's is 38. The official cut off for "normal" is 40 and under, so my daughter went for 8 years with an incorrect diagnosis because they said that her sweat test was "normal". DNA testing confirmed that both kids have two well known CF genes. Delta F508 and R117H. Sweat testing is not always the perfect predictor of CF - when sweat test numbers are clearly high it's very reliable, however there are so many cases now that are showing up with lower sweat test numbers that I do not feel they should be relied on as the only test result to consider.

Please see my blog page for details - but the short story is, high normal or borderline sweat test numbers with few or even no CF symptoms can still mean CF. We didn't see any CF symptoms in our son until age 21 - he also didn't get sweat tested or DNA tested until age 18. Had it not been for his sisters diagnosis, we would not have had him tested and would not have known he was experiencing CF symptoms later on.

So please keep pursuing the testing and treatment, it is very possible that your child does have CF and he is going to need to be followed and treated. Getting the diagnosis of CF is not a fun experience, but getting the correct treatment for CF sure is beneficial.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Please see my blog page for details - but the short story is, high normal or borderline sweat test numbers with few or even no CF symptoms can still mean CF. We didn't see any CF symptoms in our son until age 21 - he also didn't get sweat tested or DNA tested until age 18. Had it not been for his sisters diagnosis, we would not have had him tested and would not have known he was experiencing CF symptoms later on.
<br />
<br />So please keep pursuing the testing and treatment, it is very possible that your child does have CF and he is going to need to be followed and treated. Getting the diagnosis of CF is not a fun experience, but getting the correct treatment for CF sure is beneficial.

Dylan000

Hey thank you for your replies. It is hard to sit and wait and not knowing. I am also pregnant with a baby girl. So it is scary not to know what well just not knowing. I sure i will have more questions after i get the results back. Again thank you so much. This site has made me feel so much better about things.

Dylan000

Hey thank you for your replies. It is hard to sit and wait and not knowing. I am also pregnant with a baby girl. So it is scary not to know what well just not knowing. I sure i will have more questions after i get the results back. Again thank you so much. This site has made me feel so much better about things.

Dylan000

Dylan000

Dylan000