Breakfast Menu Ideas

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is about 2 months older than your daughter...

Have you tried Chocolate Carnation instant breakfast? We'd always make that for ds, started out with just whole milk and graduated to an ounce of cream. Nowdays he only likes WHITE milk, so I've been able to find Vanilla Carnation instant breakfast at the wholesale club at a much cheaper price.

DS never ever liked oatmeal and only recently has he expressed interest in cereal with milk -- otherwise he'd snack on dry cereal. One day I bought an individual serving of life cereal for a snack. He looked at the picture on it and insisted that I put raspberries on top and serve it to him with milk. I was thrilled -- thank goodness I had raspberries in the fridge.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is about 2 months older than your daughter...

Have you tried Chocolate Carnation instant breakfast? We'd always make that for ds, started out with just whole milk and graduated to an ounce of cream. Nowdays he only likes WHITE milk, so I've been able to find Vanilla Carnation instant breakfast at the wholesale club at a much cheaper price.

DS never ever liked oatmeal and only recently has he expressed interest in cereal with milk -- otherwise he'd snack on dry cereal. One day I bought an individual serving of life cereal for a snack. He looked at the picture on it and insisted that I put raspberries on top and serve it to him with milk. I was thrilled -- thank goodness I had raspberries in the fridge.

folione

On the chocolate milk side of things, we add chocolate ovaltine to chocolate milkshakes (made with plenty of ice cream, whole milk, and cream) and you could probably do the same with some of those "boost" type mixes (though my boy would not touch any of them in any flavor). As for the milk, we've been getting organic milk direct from a dairy because it has about 20% more calories than the regular stuff in our grocery.

Also, we (rather, my spouse) takes him grocery shopping and lets him pick out new things to try; it results in lots of half-eaten things but we figure getting him involved is worthwhile.

folione

On the chocolate milk side of things, we add chocolate ovaltine to chocolate milkshakes (made with plenty of ice cream, whole milk, and cream) and you could probably do the same with some of those "boost" type mixes (though my boy would not touch any of them in any flavor). As for the milk, we've been getting organic milk direct from a dairy because it has about 20% more calories than the regular stuff in our grocery.

Also, we (rather, my spouse) takes him grocery shopping and lets him pick out new things to try; it results in lots of half-eaten things but we figure getting him involved is worthwhile.

folione

Foody

If you want to avoid all the corn syrup and sugars in chocolate milk and OTC drink products, you can look for a natural dark chocolate syrup (which has no sugar or artificial stuff) or just add cocoa powder and blend well. It still gives a chocolatey flavor but keeps it low in sugar.

I have researched fairly deep into what corn syrup and sugars do to the body. It actually depletes the body of important vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, copper, magnesium and chromium. In CF, the body already has difficulty processing and utilizing many of these minerals (esp copper and magnesium) which play a large role in inflammation. Fructose (which is what most corn syrup is) must be broken down in the liver and can lead to damage over time (another issue in CF).

Just something to think about.

Foody

If you want to avoid all the corn syrup and sugars in chocolate milk and OTC drink products, you can look for a natural dark chocolate syrup (which has no sugar or artificial stuff) or just add cocoa powder and blend well. It still gives a chocolatey flavor but keeps it low in sugar.

I have researched fairly deep into what corn syrup and sugars do to the body. It actually depletes the body of important vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, copper, magnesium and chromium. In CF, the body already has difficulty processing and utilizing many of these minerals (esp copper and magnesium) which play a large role in inflammation. Fructose (which is what most corn syrup is) must be broken down in the liver and can lead to damage over time (another issue in CF).

Foody

ViviansMom

I'm glad to see I'm not alone, My Vivian eats what ever for breakfast. On week days before school she has a scandi shake and what ever they are having at school for breakfast but when there isn't school it can range from chicken to pizza. I figure aslong as its food and she enjoys it then its ok.
One thing she does love is link sausage and waffles with grape jelly.

ViviansMom

I'm glad to see I'm not alone, My Vivian eats what ever for breakfast. On week days before school she has a scandi shake and what ever they are having at school for breakfast but when there isn't school it can range from chicken to pizza. I figure aslong as its food and she enjoys it then its ok.

ViviansMom