Breastfeeding and sleep deprivation

ejwiegert

Hey y'all...

Abby and I are struggling. She turns into an narcoleptic (sp) when she nurses. I know she's getting enough food because she is gaining weight, however, I am getting increasingly frustrated. She nurses for 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep. I'm nursing all of the time because she won't stay awake during feedings...which is also prohibiting me from pumping.

I am exhausted because I'm up all night feeding Abby and Lucy isn't getting ANY attention because I'm holding/feeding Abby all of the time.

Any advice, suggestions? I'm close to a breaking point and I don't want to stop breastfeeding Abby, but I'm worn out!

Em

anonymous

Emily,

My daughter Maggie with CF was a very sleepy nursing baby. Try making sure she isn't too warm and cozy while you are nursing her, so she doesn't fall asleep. You could even nurse her just in her diaper. Tickle her feet , tickle her under the chin to keep her awake during the day. She is nursing alot, because she is trying to stimulate milk supply. The supply and demand thing. Also, you could push her crib next to your bed so you don't even have to get out of bed to nurse her at night. I think they even make some crib that fits right next to the bed.

Someone also suggested to me for your older child have a basket full of items just for Lucy to use during nursiing sessions during the day. So when you sit to nurse Abbey, Lucy can sit next to you and play with whatever is in the basket. Fill it with, books, snacks, coloring books, crayons, goody bag items, a baby doll she can nurse herself, you get the idea.

The first few weeks can be so hard nursing and sleep deprivation, Abby is gaining weight which is great!!

I'll try to post more later, gotta put Maggie to bed.

Rebecca (mom to Sammy 8 no CF and MAggie 31/2 with CF)

M

Mommafirst

I totally know what you mean, but hang in there it will get better.
 Its hard work nursing a newborn and having a toddler running
around, I've done it twice.    Right now there isn't
much you can do to put her on a schedule or to space out those
quick feeds.  They will space out on their own and soon.
 And if Abby is gaining weight and only eating for 5-10
minutes, she may be just very efficient.  After
nursing three kids I've found each one has a different process
and timeline.  My daughter is 7 months, but has never nursed
for more than 10-15 minutes.  She was just efficient from the
start.  So hang in there, I know the sleep deprivation catches
up to you about 3-4 weeks in, but it will get better!!!<br>
<br>
YAY that she's gaining!!!<br>
<br>

anonymous

Hang in there - it will get better!!!!!!!! With my daughter, I used a wet tissue to tickle her all over her body. She had a hard time staying awake for the first few weeks. My son is better at staying awake but I still have to tickle his cheek to get his rooting reflex during the night feedings.

I nurse my son while I read books to my daughter, do puzzles with her, color with her, and so on. We actually can get a lot accomplished while my son eats. The boppy pillow can be helpful to lay him on while doing these things.

Breastfeeding can be SO HARD for the first few weeks. I think setting little mini bfing goals really helps. I kept telling myself I would bf for 6 weeks, then I moved it to 8 weeks, 3 months was going to be my next mini goal but by the time I got to 8 weeks, I knew that we would be able to make it 1 year with no problem. I plan on resetting my goal when he is one year old.

Best wishes!

julie

Em, how early was Abby born (weeks???) We've been talked to by the NICU doctors that even babies at 38 weeks (which I'll never make it to) have latching problems and don't stay awake for breast feedings because they get so cozy and warm.

Have you talked to your pedi and or a lactation consultant about this? That's what I would recommend next.

anonymous

Hi,
My daughter was a preemie. She never got a decent suck and I had to wake her every 2-3 hourzs to feed her at first (she would have just slept the day away - I guess she decided it really had been too early).
I actually couldn't breastfeed her. And even with a bottle I had to use preemie nipples and feed her naked and half sitting up for months.

JRPandTJP

Sounds like normal nursing adjustment period to me with the information you gave. Babies know how and when to increase supply and it sounds like this is what she may be doing. 10-20 minutes of vigorous nursing every 1 hour will build milk supply faster and more effectively than nursing every 2 hours. These are referred to as "frequency days" and often will go on for 3-5 days and then slow up back to every 1 1/2-2 hours. The spurts may often occur at major growth spurt times around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months ("The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"). You may notice these later when teething or major development burst happen as well. This is your baby demanding what she needs and your body reacting to her. This is why on demand nursing is important, especially in the beginning.

The only thing to watch for would be that she is getting to the rich hind-milk at each feeding (let down and for about 5-10 minutes after is usually fore milk, hind milk comes after and is richer in calories and fat). Sleepy babies who don't finish need help early on. Switch nursing can help. When you notice her sucking go from vigorous as with the let down, then to more flutter sucking when she is starting to doze, take her off and burp her or change a diaper. Then offer the other breast...when she starts to dose, than take her off and burp her and put her back on the other again. This can ensure she makes it through the nursing, and she is getting the hind milk from at least one breast every feed. As she gets more hind milk she will start sleeping less at the breast and be a more active nurser. Eventually as your supply is established and she gets more hind milk, you can even go to offering just one breast at each feed.

Nightime nursing is also important at this time for weight gain and milk supply. If you aren't opposed to it, like Rebekka said co-sleeping can really help out here until you get into a groove (most by 6-8 weeks). Getting adept at nursing lying down will help you gently wake, feed and drift back to sleep later on (barring she doesn't need enzymes than we still have to wake a bit more than most moms, but sounds like she doesn't need them yet).

In the early, sleepy weeks, I placed a pillow above and next to where he laid (on the outside edge) and kept my boppy close by since I could never nurse laying down until later (boobs to hard at first). When he'd wake, I'd unwrap him, change his diaper, and leave him uncovered for the most part. We'd nurse sitting up in bed and often I'd drift back to sleep with him on my chest (after a quick burp), blanket tucked underneath me like a little envelope, and my arm propted up on the boppy. Sometimes I'd place him next to me and sleep with my arm around him. They don't move at this age and if they do it is just to find you...very safe. Most babies don't sleep through the night until much, much later. If they do it is the minority and you are one lucky momma.

38 weeks is considered full term and if you aren't having any nipple soreness or breast tenderness, more than likely her latch is good (looking for a wide open mouth around ariola with clear sucking and swallowing sounds). Most pediatricians don't have tons of breastfeeding knowledge...you may get the most help from a LLL in your area or a lactation consultant...but to me it sounds like normal stuff. Hang in there.

That said...it is exhausting beyond belief but as time goes by the benefits will reward you for your brown bags and blood shot eyes you have now. Great ideas on the basket of goodies for your toddler.

Unless you really need to for some reason...I wouldn't worry about pumping until this passes in a few weeks. Are you needing to pump for storage to return to work? As things even out I could find out some info on pumping strategy that won't drive you crazy;-)

You can do this...think of all the other tired nursing moms up at the same time as you ;-)

Warmly,
Jody

JRPandTJP

...a second thought on switch nursing. Since she is nursing only 5-10 minutes before dosing I would actually recommend as soon as she starts to dose and flutter suck, take her off, burp or change diaper, stimulate her a bit, then put her back on the same breast. Try and get another 5-10 minutes if possible. Then if she starts to dose, take her off, burp, her arouse her again then offer second breast. If she doesn't want it or just can't stay awake she has already gotten the hind milk from the first. after a couple days of this you should see a difference and a more wakwful vigorous nurser. If she doesn't make to the second and you are uncomfortable...good opportunity to pump the second breast only.

also, work hard on this during the day but if it feels tiring or overwhelming at night just get her fed quickly and go back to sleep (still nurse when she awakens, just don't do all the stimulationg and switching stuff unless you wish to or she is not waking on her own after 4 hours or more). I really think this might help alot.

Good luck...you're doing a great job.

JazzysMom

I had similiar problems with Jazmine, but she wasnt breast fed. She was a bottle baby, but I had to stimulate her chin to keep her eating. The NIC docs/nurses said this was the only affect from her being delivered 4 weeks early. She more than made up for it, but it took constant stimulating for her to suck!

ejwiegert

Thank you all so much for your input. Abby and I still are not in a breastfeeding routine, but I know we'll get there. I'm sure that we will discover that soon enough.

Part of our nursing problem, I think, is that I get engorged so easily and it makes it hard for Abby to latch and for me to be comfortable.

Abby's doing better at staying awake. We purchased before she got here an Arm's reach mini co sleeper and it is attached to our bed. It is great since Abby is such a different temprament than Lucy. By week 4 Lucy was sleeping 6 to 8 hours a night...I don't think we'll be so lucky with Abby. :) But that is truly OK.

We are pumping to stock-up on milk for a possible return to work for me. I've been at home now for three weeks and it is getting on my nerves. I want to stay at home because I feel it is important to Abby's health, but I'm really struggling with balancing my time between housework, the girls, and myself...especially getting enough rest.

Any suggestions to help change my attitude? :) Dave offered to stay at home with the girls and I'm thinking of taking him up on it!!!

Em

M

Mommafirst

I LOVE my co-sleeper too!!  One of the best baby things we've
owned.<br>
<br>
I don't have much advice about your wanting to go back to work.
 You and Dave have to find what works for you and your family.
 I work, but  in the afternoons and evenings so I don't
have to leave my kids in daycare (not judging others, its just not
for me).  If you feel you need to have some time out of the
house, I don't think that is an unrealistic need.

JRPandTJP

A way to help her latch when you are engorged is to pump off a bit of milk (with a hand pump or electic if it is convenient), get let down to start and flow onto a towel or breast pad, then place her on the breast. This will help her latch and will make it less painful for you. Plys if you let a little foremilk out before she nurses, it may help her get more hindmilk as well. This will usually slow down as time goes on. Your breasts will adjust and she will become more effective at latching as well.

That co sleeper is awesome...I've heard alot of good things. I just went the cheap route plus he was on NG and had to be propped up for reflux so I needed him as close as possible ;-)

About adjusting to staying at home...that's a personal thing for sure. If we enjoy our work and identify strongly with it, it is hard to feel home/children don't some how take you away from it. I struggled with it, esp with my first child. However, the first few years are so important and it is such a short time span in the grand scheme of things, that if you can swing it financially (which I know is tough), it can be so rewarding. After the first year as nursing demands slow down, we can start to branch out again and often our lives have changed so much, we may even have new ideas and resources to help us do things out of our home (biz wise). I am amazed how my life has changed since staying at home (like the other poster...not judging, just works for us) and I still find so much use for all the skills I had from working and school. I just put them to use differently and the focus has shifted.

Finding a nice group of moms to get together with each week is a great way to get out and most will have toddlers too. Libraries has lots of these groups. LLL groups often have play times and meet once a month at someones house to play.

Just a few (okay a lot) thoughts. Gotta work on getting brief.

Jody