Breastfeeding

JazzysMom

We have had many CF moms successfully breast feed there kids & that was AFTER carrying the baby. So your sisters body has an advantage of sorts.....

Its a huge committment to keep the amount of calories in her for it, but if she wants it she will figure out how to do it.

I didnt breast feed for 2 reasons. One was the seizure meds I take & 2nd was the amount of carloeis I would burn. I regret not at least trying now, but at the time I knew that I couldnt/wouldnt get the amount of extra calories in me. I wasnt disciplined enough nor was it a big enough issue for me to try hard.

JazzysMom

We have had many CF moms successfully breast feed there kids & that was AFTER carrying the baby. So your sisters body has an advantage of sorts.....

Its a huge committment to keep the amount of calories in her for it, but if she wants it she will figure out how to do it.

I didnt breast feed for 2 reasons. One was the seizure meds I take & 2nd was the amount of carloeis I would burn. I regret not at least trying now, but at the time I knew that I couldnt/wouldnt get the amount of extra calories in me. I wasnt disciplined enough nor was it a big enough issue for me to try hard.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Its a huge committment to keep the amount of calories in her for it, but if she wants it she will figure out how to do it.
<br />
<br />I didnt breast feed for 2 reasons. One was the seizure meds I take & 2nd was the amount of carloeis I would burn. I regret not at least trying now, but at the time I knew that I couldnt/wouldnt get the amount of extra calories in me. I wasnt disciplined enough nor was it a big enough issue for me to try hard.

kambauer

Hi Jenn.

I think a big unknown here will be the baby. I nursed both my girls and the first one was terrible at it. We never got on the same page and I had to stop after 4 months. My second daughter took to it immediately and I stopped after 5 months only because I had to go back on zithromax. I would still be nursing her if I could. While I agree she may have an advantage because she didn't "carry" the baby, I think there is really no way to predict how her health will be affected. Ultimately she sounds very prepared and dedicated and will do what is necessary to keep her and the baby healthy.

Good luck and congrats to your family!

Keena
31 year old, cf Proud mommy to Audrey and Mallorie

kambauer

Hi Jenn.

I think a big unknown here will be the baby. I nursed both my girls and the first one was terrible at it. We never got on the same page and I had to stop after 4 months. My second daughter took to it immediately and I stopped after 5 months only because I had to go back on zithromax. I would still be nursing her if I could. While I agree she may have an advantage because she didn't "carry" the baby, I think there is really no way to predict how her health will be affected. Ultimately she sounds very prepared and dedicated and will do what is necessary to keep her and the baby healthy.

Keena

kambauer

Hi Jenn.

Keena

kambauer

Hi Jenn.

Keena

kambauer

Hi Jenn.
<br />
<br />I think a big unknown here will be the baby. I nursed both my girls and the first one was terrible at it. We never got on the same page and I had to stop after 4 months. My second daughter took to it immediately and I stopped after 5 months only because I had to go back on zithromax. I would still be nursing her if I could. While I agree she may have an advantage because she didn't "carry" the baby, I think there is really no way to predict how her health will be affected. Ultimately she sounds very prepared and dedicated and will do what is necessary to keep her and the baby healthy.
<br />
<br />Good luck and congrats to your family!
<br />
<br />Keena
<br />31 year old, cf Proud mommy to Audrey and Mallorie

K

Keepercjr

Jenn

I wanted to remind you of a site you'll want to keep bookmarked for your sis (and for you): Dr. Hale's Breastfeeding and Medicine forum. He is a pharmacologist and the leading expert in breastfeeding and what medications are safe. Just click on the little "magnifying glass" icon on the left and type in the med and see what he has to say. You may also want to get a copy of his book, Medications and Mother's Milk.

Most CF meds are safe for breastfeeding but most doctors don't know that. They tend to err on the side of caution and tell the mom to stop bfing but that isn't usually the best solution. Either the med is safe or there is an alternative med that can be prescribed.

Here is the link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest">http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/d...pg=topics&access=guest</a>

K

Keepercjr

Jenn

I wanted to remind you of a site you'll want to keep bookmarked for your sis (and for you): Dr. Hale's Breastfeeding and Medicine forum. He is a pharmacologist and the leading expert in breastfeeding and what medications are safe. Just click on the little "magnifying glass" icon on the left and type in the med and see what he has to say. You may also want to get a copy of his book, Medications and Mother's Milk.

Most CF meds are safe for breastfeeding but most doctors don't know that. They tend to err on the side of caution and tell the mom to stop bfing but that isn't usually the best solution. Either the med is safe or there is an alternative med that can be prescribed.

Here is the link:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest">http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/d...pg=topics&access=guest</a>

K

Keepercjr

Jenn

Here is the link:

K

Keepercjr

Jenn

Here is the link:

K

Keepercjr

Jenn
<br />
<br />I wanted to remind you of a site you'll want to keep bookmarked for your sis (and for you): Dr. Hale's Breastfeeding and Medicine forum. He is a pharmacologist and the leading expert in breastfeeding and what medications are safe. Just click on the little "magnifying glass" icon on the left and type in the med and see what he has to say. You may also want to get a copy of his book, Medications and Mother's Milk.
<br />
<br />Most CF meds are safe for breastfeeding but most doctors don't know that. They tend to err on the side of caution and tell the mom to stop bfing but that isn't usually the best solution. Either the med is safe or there is an alternative med that can be prescribed.
<br />
<br />Here is the link:
<br /> <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest">http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/d...pg=topics&access=guest</a>

jenhum

Good luck to your sister! I think it's awesome that she's working so hard to breastfeed her baby. I too was worried about weight loss while BFing. 115 is my ideal weight, and I am usually between 105-110, so I planned on quitting once I got to 105. Well, right before the baby was born I weighed 130, and almost 3 months later I am at 125! I've actually gained some weight after I gave birth. BFing makes me starving- I've never had such a good appetite in my life. So it's actually been really good for my weight (which in turn is good for my health).

I have found that some days it can be draining, energy wise...especially b/c my sweet little girl still hasn't totally got the hang of latching correctly! But everything about having an infant is draining, so I don't think I'm any worse off than I would be not BFing.

jenhum

Good luck to your sister! I think it's awesome that she's working so hard to breastfeed her baby. I too was worried about weight loss while BFing. 115 is my ideal weight, and I am usually between 105-110, so I planned on quitting once I got to 105. Well, right before the baby was born I weighed 130, and almost 3 months later I am at 125! I've actually gained some weight after I gave birth. BFing makes me starving- I've never had such a good appetite in my life. So it's actually been really good for my weight (which in turn is good for my health).

I have found that some days it can be draining, energy wise...especially b/c my sweet little girl still hasn't totally got the hang of latching correctly! But everything about having an infant is draining, so I don't think I'm any worse off than I would be not BFing.

jenhum

jenhum

jenhum

<br />
<br />I have found that some days it can be draining, energy wise...especially b/c my sweet little girl still hasn't totally got the hang of latching correctly! But everything about having an infant is draining, so I don't think I'm any worse off than I would be not BFing.