Breath Easy Ultrasonic Salinizer

NancyLKF

has anyone ever tried on of these to help their CFer or themselves: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://products.salt-care.com/Breath-Easy-Ultrasonic-Salinizer-_p_13.html">Breath Easy Ultrasonic Salinizer</a>

NancyLKF

has anyone ever tried on of these to help their CFer or themselves: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://products.salt-care.com/Breath-Easy-Ultrasonic-Salinizer-_p_13.html">Breath Easy Ultrasonic Salinizer</a>

NancyLKF

hmw

I've heard a lot of benefits of salt therapy...

However, this part concerned me:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In just days, you will notice that you are no longer struggling to breathe. And you will look and feel better, too - as your lungs begin to clear, your body will take in more oxygen and you will feel great. Plus, the salt ions will do wonders for your skin, as the ionic air purifier effects of the Ultrasonic Salinizer counteract indoor air pollutants that cause dryness and irritation.</end quote></div>
Ionic air purifiers are not considered to be a good choice for those with CF or other respiratory diseases... I worry this would cancel out the potential benefit of the saline therapy.

hmw

However, this part concerned me:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In just days, you will notice that you are no longer struggling to breathe. And you will look and feel better, too - as your lungs begin to clear, your body will take in more oxygen and you will feel great. Plus, the salt ions will do wonders for your skin, as the ionic air purifier effects of the Ultrasonic Salinizer counteract indoor air pollutants that cause dryness and irritation.</end quote>
Ionic air purifiers are not considered to be a good choice for those with CF or other respiratory diseases... I worry this would cancel out the potential benefit of the saline therapy.

hmw

<br />
<br />However, this part concerned me:
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In just days, you will notice that you are no longer struggling to breathe. And you will look and feel better, too - as your lungs begin to clear, your body will take in more oxygen and you will feel great. Plus, the salt ions will do wonders for your skin, as the ionic air purifier effects of the Ultrasonic Salinizer counteract indoor air pollutants that cause dryness and irritation.</end quote>
<br />Ionic air purifiers are not considered to be a good choice for those with CF or other respiratory diseases... I worry this would cancel out the potential benefit of the saline therapy.

NancyLKF

Harriet - I thought the same thing. I don't understand how they are claiming these negative ions help respiratory ailments when we know that ions are not good for the lungs... so I wondered if I am just totally uneducated on different types of ions or what?

NancyLKF

Harriet - I thought the same thing. I don't understand how they are claiming these negative ions help respiratory ailments when we know that ions are not good for the lungs... so I wondered if I am just totally uneducated on different types of ions or what?

NancyLKF

hmw

My other concern comes from this:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Ultrasonic Salinizer is an ultrasonic particles dispenser that makes use of ultrasonic frequency vibration theory to transform the saline solution into under 5 micron salt particles. The device is not a humidifier, as is placing an insignificant quantity of humidity into the indoor air.</end quote></div>
It sounds as if you have to add water to the unit to be able to disperse the salt into the air. Not enough to act as a humidifier as this states, but the unit would seem to be continually wet all the time...? I know salt is a natural antimicrobial, but worry about how clean the unit would be inside over the long term.

It sort of reminds me of how an e-flow works, actually, with the vibration generating the tiny particles- just not comfortable with the ionic factor they mention- and wondering about keeping it sanitized.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Ultrasonic Salinizer is an ultrasonic particles dispenser that makes use of ultrasonic frequency vibration theory to transform the saline solution into under 5 micron salt particles. The device is not a humidifier, as is placing an insignificant quantity of humidity into the indoor air.</end quote>
It sounds as if you have to add water to the unit to be able to disperse the salt into the air. Not enough to act as a humidifier as this states, but the unit would seem to be continually wet all the time...? I know salt is a natural antimicrobial, but worry about how clean the unit would be inside over the long term.

It sort of reminds me of how an e-flow works, actually, with the vibration generating the tiny particles- just not comfortable with the ionic factor they mention- and wondering about keeping it sanitized.

hmw

<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Ultrasonic Salinizer is an ultrasonic particles dispenser that makes use of ultrasonic frequency vibration theory to transform the saline solution into under 5 micron salt particles. The device is not a humidifier, as is placing an insignificant quantity of humidity into the indoor air.</end quote>
<br />It sounds as if you have to add water to the unit to be able to disperse the salt into the air. Not enough to act as a humidifier as this states, but the unit would seem to be continually wet all the time...? I know salt is a natural antimicrobial, but worry about how clean the unit would be inside over the long term.
<br />
<br />It sort of reminds me of how an e-flow works, actually, with the vibration generating the tiny particles- just not comfortable with the ionic factor they mention- and wondering about keeping it sanitized.

NancyLKF

good point! there are so many products out there that say they have all of these benefits but they tend to have drawbacks too!

NancyLKF

good point! there are so many products out there that say they have all of these benefits but they tend to have drawbacks too!

NancyLKF

petnurse

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know the ionic purifiers produce negative ions and ozone, but the ions are not what produces the ozone. Ozone generators are optimized to attract an extra oxygen ion to an O2 molecule, using either a corona discharge tube or UV light.Negative ions are electrically-charged particles in the air that remove airborne contaminates from the air, and have a rejuvenating effect when interacting with physiological systems (such as the respiratory system).

petnurse

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know the ionic purifiers produce negative ions and ozone, but the ions are not what produces the ozone. Ozone generators are optimized to attract an extra oxygen ion to an O2 molecule, using either a corona discharge tube or UV light.Negative ions are electrically-charged particles in the air that remove airborne contaminates from the air, and have a rejuvenating effect when interacting with physiological systems (such as the respiratory system).

petnurse

Hi,
<br />Just wanted to let you know the ionic purifiers produce negative ions and ozone, but the ions are not what produces the ozone. Ozone generators are optimized to attract an extra oxygen ion to an O2 molecule, using either a corona discharge tube or UV light.Negative ions are electrically-charged particles in the air that remove airborne contaminates from the air, and have a rejuvenating effect when interacting with physiological systems (such as the respiratory system).

Z

zeeannie

We've used one and it really does help noticeably. However, it is difficult to keep clean. The water reservoir has only a small hole for filling and this is the only access by which to clean inside the reservoir. There is an obstruction inside the reservoir that makes it nearly impossible to reach all of the surface inside, even using a baby bottle cleaner. After the water has been in there for over a week you do start to see the icky pink buildup on the bottom. The thing is, the water lasts over a week if it starts out full and if you clean it more often then you pour the solution down the drain. You could half fill it I suppose. I just got tired of messing with it and DD doesn't cough much anyway. Also, I had to return the first one because the motor started failing. It's hard to keep water out of the mechanism. It's a good idea, but needs to work out some kinks.

Z

zeeannie

We've used one and it really does help noticeably. However, it is difficult to keep clean. The water reservoir has only a small hole for filling and this is the only access by which to clean inside the reservoir. There is an obstruction inside the reservoir that makes it nearly impossible to reach all of the surface inside, even using a baby bottle cleaner. After the water has been in there for over a week you do start to see the icky pink buildup on the bottom. The thing is, the water lasts over a week if it starts out full and if you clean it more often then you pour the solution down the drain. You could half fill it I suppose. I just got tired of messing with it and DD doesn't cough much anyway. Also, I had to return the first one because the motor started failing. It's hard to keep water out of the mechanism. It's a good idea, but needs to work out some kinks.