Bronch grew MRSA

JazzysMom

My MRSA has only been treated with Bactrim. I mean granted that it might have been knocked down from some of the IV meds used for my PA, but I know the Bactrim was solely for the MRSA.

I wish you the best!

JazzysMom

My MRSA has only been treated with Bactrim. I mean granted that it might have been knocked down from some of the IV meds used for my PA, but I know the Bactrim was solely for the MRSA.

I wish you the best!

JazzysMom

I wish you the best!

JazzysMom

I wish you the best!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I wish you the best!

OperaMama

Not fair. Not nice. You get sympathy from someone who's guy just cultured his first PA. Good luck to you all.

M'nell

OperaMama

Not fair. Not nice. You get sympathy from someone who's guy just cultured his first PA. Good luck to you all.

M'nell

OperaMama

M'nell

OperaMama

M'nell

OperaMama

M'nell

T

tammykrumrey

Sorry about the MRSA...

My daughters both culture MRSA and have for many years. On a normal basis they are treated with Bactrim when they have a flare-up with symptoms such as increased cough. If they are not having any symptoms, they are not treated.

Kayla has been pretty sick with the MRSA before, and has been on IV Vanc for two weeks. It really helped knock down the bacteria counts from abundant down to moderate.

She did great for about six months and had another flare up, and that time her dr. put her on oral Zyvox. It tasted horrible, but it was great. It actually knocked down the bacteria where she didn't culture it for about a year. Actually,I wonder if it had rid her lungs of it and she just caught it again from her sister, or if it just kept it down for a long time. Who knows!

Hannah has never taken anything but Bactrim to keep hers under control.

I do think that MRSA can be damaging...b/c in Kayla's case she had only cultured MRSA and Staph (up until a few months ago) and she has moderate lung damage in her right upper lobe. BUT, on the other hand, Hannah's lungs have always looked perfect (and she cultures MRSA, Staph, and has cultured PA several times!!).

I don't really know if there are any studies that if you hit it hard early that you can get rid of it.

T

tammykrumrey

Sorry about the MRSA...

My daughters both culture MRSA and have for many years. On a normal basis they are treated with Bactrim when they have a flare-up with symptoms such as increased cough. If they are not having any symptoms, they are not treated.

Kayla has been pretty sick with the MRSA before, and has been on IV Vanc for two weeks. It really helped knock down the bacteria counts from abundant down to moderate.

She did great for about six months and had another flare up, and that time her dr. put her on oral Zyvox. It tasted horrible, but it was great. It actually knocked down the bacteria where she didn't culture it for about a year. Actually,I wonder if it had rid her lungs of it and she just caught it again from her sister, or if it just kept it down for a long time. Who knows!

I do think that MRSA can be damaging...b/c in Kayla's case she had only cultured MRSA and Staph (up until a few months ago) and she has moderate lung damage in her right upper lobe. BUT, on the other hand, Hannah's lungs have always looked perfect (and she cultures MRSA, Staph, and has cultured PA several times!!).

I don't really know if there are any studies that if you hit it hard early that you can get rid of it.

T

tammykrumrey

Sorry about the MRSA...

T

tammykrumrey

Sorry about the MRSA...

T

tammykrumrey

Sorry about the MRSA...
<br />
<br />My daughters both culture MRSA and have for many years. On a normal basis they are treated with Bactrim when they have a flare-up with symptoms such as increased cough. If they are not having any symptoms, they are not treated.
<br />
<br />Kayla has been pretty sick with the MRSA before, and has been on IV Vanc for two weeks. It really helped knock down the bacteria counts from abundant down to moderate.
<br />
<br />She did great for about six months and had another flare up, and that time her dr. put her on oral Zyvox. It tasted horrible, but it was great. It actually knocked down the bacteria where she didn't culture it for about a year. Actually,I wonder if it had rid her lungs of it and she just caught it again from her sister, or if it just kept it down for a long time. Who knows!
<br />
<br />Hannah has never taken anything but Bactrim to keep hers under control.
<br />
<br />I do think that MRSA can be damaging...b/c in Kayla's case she had only cultured MRSA and Staph (up until a few months ago) and she has moderate lung damage in her right upper lobe. BUT, on the other hand, Hannah's lungs have always looked perfect (and she cultures MRSA, Staph, and has cultured PA several times!!).
<br />
<br />I don't really know if there are any studies that if you hit it hard early that you can get rid of it.
<br />

flatfordl

So sorry to hear about the culture. I feel just as confused and aggrevated as you sound. Our docs have not done anything about Avery's MRSA. We are on permanent Azythromiacin three days a week but I do not think it is for the MRSA. I will most definitely ask about the Bactrim that everyone else is talking about at our next CF clinic.

To be honest everytime I bring it up to the doc's they act like the MRSA and staph she cultures is not a big deal. But everytime I turn around there is another news article about how scarey it is. I know the news articles are talking about infections and she is just colonized but still it bothers me.

flatfordl

So sorry to hear about the culture. I feel just as confused and aggrevated as you sound. Our docs have not done anything about Avery's MRSA. We are on permanent Azythromiacin three days a week but I do not think it is for the MRSA. I will most definitely ask about the Bactrim that everyone else is talking about at our next CF clinic.

To be honest everytime I bring it up to the doc's they act like the MRSA and staph she cultures is not a big deal. But everytime I turn around there is another news article about how scarey it is. I know the news articles are talking about infections and she is just colonized but still it bothers me.

flatfordl

flatfordl

flatfordl

<br />
<br />To be honest everytime I bring it up to the doc's they act like the MRSA and staph she cultures is not a big deal. But everytime I turn around there is another news article about how scarey it is. I know the news articles are talking about infections and she is just colonized but still it bothers me.
<br />