Bronchititis question

Justinsmama

Hi,

My beautiful 8 year old son came down with bronchitis almost 2 weeks ago. He started to cough and after his Great Strides walk over a week ago on Saturday, was pretty sick. He ended up on steroids (9 days) and antibiotic (14 days). He is just finishing the oral steroids and still on inhaled (Symbicort). My question is, and I understand his could have been viral, how long should he have a junky cough and still get out of breath? We see the ped tomorrow (CF background - worked in a CF Clinic for several years). He is getting better and now able to handle the saline again since Saturday (without going into an hour long spasm) and is now on Pulmozyme too. Would you be concerned that he is growing something in his lungs? He has only cultured staph for the past 9 months (h. influ and strep before that)? I will ask the doctor tomorrow and he communicates directly with our Clinic (as well as I have been talking to them). Just wondered what your experiences with your children have been.

Thanks!!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS developed bronchitis as a baby. His doctor put him on antibiotics and tobi (based on his cultures) and told us if it didn't clear up after by the time the oral abx were done, to call him back and he'd put him on something stronger. At the time he cultured H. flu and enterbacter choclae (sp). We also increased cpt and neb treatments (albuterol/atrovent) to 4 times a day to beat that cough out of him. Fortunately it did the trick. Could be he's culturing something else, could've been a virus that turned into an infection. If your child is like mine and normally doesn't cough, I'd be contacting the CF clinic or at the very least have your doctor run a CF culture.