budesonide sinus rinses

Emer76

I was recently prescribed budesonide to mix with my saline rinses by my ENT(Twice daily). I was curious to know if it has helped anyone. Planning on having surgery on my next admission but hopefully that will be a while. Any advice would be great.

W

welshwitch

I had it with my last sinus surgery (post op) and loved it. Seemed to really open up my nose.

Liza

Wow, I'd never heard of that. I'd heard of using Tobra mixed in with the sinus rinse. Hmmm, what is it supposed to do? Benefits? My daughter takes Budesonide for her Crohn's, so I was just wondering what the ENT's thought process was in using it for a sinus rinse.

W

welshwitch

Liza -- since it's a steroid, it really helped with my chronically inflamed sinuses and help reduce the inflammation (for the time being.)

BreathEZ

For those who have had success using the budesonide...do you use 1 full ampule and simply squeeze the whole amount or half of it into your sinus rinse mixture? Just curious...Thanks

Liza

Hmmm, I'm going to have to tell my daughter about that... and ask my husband as well. Thanks.
OH! What do you do, just open the capsule and dissolve the powder in the saline solution or does it come in a different form?

W

welshwitch

As I recall it was just a clear liquid that you added to your sinus rinse. Enjoy!!!!

Emer76

Thanks everyone for responding. The budesonide comes in liquid form in a plastic ampule labeled for nasal use only. The prescription came with two neil med bottles. The first bottle is for distilled water(240 ml) and a saline packet. Then you are supposed to pour 100 mls of the saline water in the second bottle and mix the budesonide in. I do the first bottle then follow with the second. Lately though I have been just using one bottle and using down to about 3 oz. Which is about 100 ml then putting the med in. I do this morning and at night. The budesonide came from TAG pharmacy in PA which only deals with sinus meds. I think that I is what they told me on the phone. I don't know what the difference is between the inhaled and the nasal form if anything. I have a cold now so it's hard to know if the budesonide is working but I thought it might have before the cold.