C Difficil

Murgie

HI There,
My 12 year old has been coming home from school 3 out of 5 days a week with a stomach ache, I feel bad that we started NOT allowing him to come home due to its frequency and appearance of being well. The doctor called today to inform us his stool tests show C Difficil. This must be why he has so many stomach aches, but he has such a high tolerance for pain it is difficult to monitor real health issues.
Have your children suffered from this, should I allow him to miss more school if he can manage with the discomfort. Of course I feel guilty now and want to let him stay home the rest of the week but I can be an enabler SO EASILY. A prescription called Flagyl has been called in for him, but if anyone has more information please let me know.
Thanks

Murgie

HI There,
My 12 year old has been coming home from school 3 out of 5 days a week with a stomach ache, I feel bad that we started NOT allowing him to come home due to its frequency and appearance of being well. The doctor called today to inform us his stool tests show C Difficil. This must be why he has so many stomach aches, but he has such a high tolerance for pain it is difficult to monitor real health issues.
Have your children suffered from this, should I allow him to miss more school if he can manage with the discomfort. Of course I feel guilty now and want to let him stay home the rest of the week but I can be an enabler SO EASILY. A prescription called Flagyl has been called in for him, but if anyone has more information please let me know.
Thanks

Murgie

HI There,
Thanks

Murgie

HI There,
Thanks

Murgie

HI There,
<br /> My 12 year old has been coming home from school 3 out of 5 days a week with a stomach ache, I feel bad that we started NOT allowing him to come home due to its frequency and appearance of being well. The doctor called today to inform us his stool tests show C Difficil. This must be why he has so many stomach aches, but he has such a high tolerance for pain it is difficult to monitor real health issues.
<br />Have your children suffered from this, should I allow him to miss more school if he can manage with the discomfort. Of course I feel guilty now and want to let him stay home the rest of the week but I can be an enabler SO EASILY. A prescription called Flagyl has been called in for him, but if anyone has more information please let me know.
<br />Thanks

izemmom

My Emily (now 4) was just a tiny baby (13 months or so) when she had c.diff, but it was absolutely terrible. It was by far the worst bought of anything that we have gone through with her. I imagine that it's very different with a child who can actually describe his pain, but seeing how much pain Emily was in and dealing with a sick and cranky baby was just terrible. We were in the hospital for 4 days and she was just so sick the whole time.

At that time I found a message board for adults with recurring c. diff. It was hard to read their stories. It seems that it can be VERY debilitating, and the worst part was that some people never really found relief from it.

We have had Emily on a pro-biotic constantly since she had it, and she's only had it back once, very mildly.

I guess you have to be the judge about whether you son is taking advantage of the situation or not. But, I wouldn't want to not take his pain seriously. If he really is in pain, and having the ummmm... bowel control issues that go with c diff, then school is not the place for him. I'm sure you can get the work he needs to do and make sure that he also spends time engage in "academic" type activities while at home, not just video games or whatever.

I hope the Flagyl works for him (we had to switch to Vanco when the Flagyl had no effect) and works quickly! Good luck to him!

izemmom

My Emily (now 4) was just a tiny baby (13 months or so) when she had c.diff, but it was absolutely terrible. It was by far the worst bought of anything that we have gone through with her. I imagine that it's very different with a child who can actually describe his pain, but seeing how much pain Emily was in and dealing with a sick and cranky baby was just terrible. We were in the hospital for 4 days and she was just so sick the whole time.

At that time I found a message board for adults with recurring c. diff. It was hard to read their stories. It seems that it can be VERY debilitating, and the worst part was that some people never really found relief from it.

We have had Emily on a pro-biotic constantly since she had it, and she's only had it back once, very mildly.

I guess you have to be the judge about whether you son is taking advantage of the situation or not. But, I wouldn't want to not take his pain seriously. If he really is in pain, and having the ummmm... bowel control issues that go with c diff, then school is not the place for him. I'm sure you can get the work he needs to do and make sure that he also spends time engage in "academic" type activities while at home, not just video games or whatever.

I hope the Flagyl works for him (we had to switch to Vanco when the Flagyl had no effect) and works quickly! Good luck to him!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />At that time I found a message board for adults with recurring c. diff. It was hard to read their stories. It seems that it can be VERY debilitating, and the worst part was that some people never really found relief from it.
<br />
<br />We have had Emily on a pro-biotic constantly since she had it, and she's only had it back once, very mildly.
<br />
<br />I guess you have to be the judge about whether you son is taking advantage of the situation or not. But, I wouldn't want to not take his pain seriously. If he really is in pain, and having the ummmm... bowel control issues that go with c diff, then school is not the place for him. I'm sure you can get the work he needs to do and make sure that he also spends time engage in "academic" type activities while at home, not just video games or whatever.
<br />
<br />I hope the Flagyl works for him (we had to switch to Vanco when the Flagyl had no effect) and works quickly! Good luck to him!

Murgie

Hey Tami,
Thanks for the info. What pro -bitoic do you use? I would like to try something. I used to use acidophylis pills from the health food store but stopped years ago,
Sam had this Cdifficil 2-3 years ago when hospitalized and it was a much worse attack, they used vancromycin there for him. you reminded me of that, so I will watch to see if Flagyl works, he does not have diareah, in fact the opposite, he is so constipated that we had to take him in a couple weeks ago to be flushed. I read that is a symptom of C Difficil.
When he was hospitalized it was BAD diareah. He is still home today and sleeping TONS.

Murgie

Hey Tami,
Thanks for the info. What pro -bitoic do you use? I would like to try something. I used to use acidophylis pills from the health food store but stopped years ago,
Sam had this Cdifficil 2-3 years ago when hospitalized and it was a much worse attack, they used vancromycin there for him. you reminded me of that, so I will watch to see if Flagyl works, he does not have diareah, in fact the opposite, he is so constipated that we had to take him in a couple weeks ago to be flushed. I read that is a symptom of C Difficil.
When he was hospitalized it was BAD diareah. He is still home today and sleeping TONS.

Murgie

Hey Tami,

Murgie

Hey Tami,

Murgie

Hey Tami,
<br /> Thanks for the info. What pro -bitoic do you use? I would like to try something. I used to use acidophylis pills from the health food store but stopped years ago,
<br />Sam had this Cdifficil 2-3 years ago when hospitalized and it was a much worse attack, they used vancromycin there for him. you reminded me of that, so I will watch to see if Flagyl works, he does not have diareah, in fact the opposite, he is so constipated that we had to take him in a couple weeks ago to be flushed. I read that is a symptom of C Difficil.
<br />When he was hospitalized it was BAD diareah. He is still home today and sleeping TONS.

melx

Yogurt plain with a little honey! I am a firm believer in regular yogurt. I actually make my own and believe it is the best preventative medicine in the world for my gut. If he can tolerate dairy, it is worth a try. It is a yummy treat with some granola on top too. Stoneyfield and Greek Yogurt are good ones to try.

melx

Yogurt plain with a little honey! I am a firm believer in regular yogurt. I actually make my own and believe it is the best preventative medicine in the world for my gut. If he can tolerate dairy, it is worth a try. It is a yummy treat with some granola on top too. Stoneyfield and Greek Yogurt are good ones to try.

melx

melx

melx