C-section questions

K

Keepercjr

Kelly

I don't have a whole lot of advice about c-sections other than you CAN write a birth plan and have some preferences heeded such as not strapping your arms down and inserting the catheter after you are numbed from the spnial. You can probably search google for a c-section birth plan and find some good ideas. If you can't find anything good, visit the c-section support board on babycenter.com and I know for a fact that they can help you write a birth plan.

Also, lots of people deliver twins vaginally as long as baby A is vertex. And remember that they can change position at any time so you aren't really guaranteed of any particular position. I know that I am a little "different" than most ladies on this board since I'm going to do a homebirth but I know that for myself I'd deliver twins vaginally - it is something I specifically asked my midwife about at our fist meeting.

Doctors like to cover their butts so you have to make sure, with your own research, that any decisions are in your best interest. Of course we listen to their advice and usually accept it but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look it up for ourselves.

Good luck with everything.

K

Keepercjr

Kelly

I don't have a whole lot of advice about c-sections other than you CAN write a birth plan and have some preferences heeded such as not strapping your arms down and inserting the catheter after you are numbed from the spnial. You can probably search google for a c-section birth plan and find some good ideas. If you can't find anything good, visit the c-section support board on babycenter.com and I know for a fact that they can help you write a birth plan.

Also, lots of people deliver twins vaginally as long as baby A is vertex. And remember that they can change position at any time so you aren't really guaranteed of any particular position. I know that I am a little "different" than most ladies on this board since I'm going to do a homebirth but I know that for myself I'd deliver twins vaginally - it is something I specifically asked my midwife about at our fist meeting.

Doctors like to cover their butts so you have to make sure, with your own research, that any decisions are in your best interest. Of course we listen to their advice and usually accept it but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look it up for ourselves.

K

Keepercjr

Kelly

K

Keepercjr

Kelly

K

Keepercjr

Kelly

mom2lillian

I am sure it is not the intent but every time someone discusses c-sections here (or some other items) we get responses about how its not necessary. Most threads I can see that because it is only asking for opiniongs but this thread specifically asked for opinion of <u>those that HAD c-sections </u>and their responses.

Some of us that had C-sections try to remain happy about it and mvoe forward, some of us did our research, some of us even had birth plans and planned to go natural. This type of posting about how you can avoid it and everythign else can make, at least me, feel somewhat like those that wer lucky enough to avoid it somehow did something right.

Perhaps this is a sore spot for me though overall I am just happy my daughter is happy and healthy. I know others have been put off by the over the top answere and replies when that is not what they were asking for and then re-replies when they state their mind. I am sure I have been party to it as well so I am just asking us all to keep it in mind.

mom2lillian

I am sure it is not the intent but every time someone discusses c-sections here (or some other items) we get responses about how its not necessary. Most threads I can see that because it is only asking for opiniongs but this thread specifically asked for opinion of <u>those that HAD c-sections </u>and their responses.

Some of us that had C-sections try to remain happy about it and mvoe forward, some of us did our research, some of us even had birth plans and planned to go natural. This type of posting about how you can avoid it and everythign else can make, at least me, feel somewhat like those that wer lucky enough to avoid it somehow did something right.

Perhaps this is a sore spot for me though overall I am just happy my daughter is happy and healthy. I know others have been put off by the over the top answere and replies when that is not what they were asking for and then re-replies when they state their mind. I am sure I have been party to it as well so I am just asking us all to keep it in mind.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

For those of you who had a c-section:

1) how was pain managment after surgery?

I have reactions to most pain meds, so for me I tried 3 different IV meds before switching to pills. I was taking 800mg ibuprofen and alternating iwth vicodin (one of few dont make me ill), it was a strong vicodin--cant remember basically like a double dose for the days in hospital but I went home iwth regular vicodin. It may hav ebeen weak for most but it was fine for me, I took meds regularly for 6 days though mostly just iburprofen after first 4 days then a bit here or there after that. In hindsight I took them a bit too long as then I woudlnt feel if I was doing too much and would hurt myself by overdoing it, I was 'cleaning' up my hospital room moving suitcase etc, I know idiot right? I only had one small spot that hurt in incision, rest was great.

2) Were you able to do cpt? vest? nebs?

I did after 24 hours, do nebs and acapella, I was not using vest at the time.

3) How soon before you could walk/hold baby?

I was holding/nursin gher right away, as I mentioned pain meds hit me hard so for first nursing session immediately after I was too numb to use my arms so hubby held her to my breast and she ate that way. After that I would hold her but hubby did all diaper changing, bringing her to me and burping puttin her in crib etc when she was sleeping, I was more just resting and nursing. I was walkign the same day to bathroom etc but I did have her at 3am so I had time that whole day.

4) Did you get an epidural or spinal?

Epidural, emergency c-section.

5) Any advice you would give to someone in my shoes?

Read about every option out there, make a birth plan but keep in mind the whole goal is to have healthy babies so as long as you reach that goal everythign else that goes 'right' is just a bonus. Make very clear though that if you do have a c they are not to give pacey, formula, bottle etc if you want to nurse. For me nursing worked great and delivery was a nightmare but if I had to have one or other I would pick it this way every time!

6) Did it hurt to cough?

Yes, I had a wrap on that helped hold in belly and I would hold a pillow to my stomach. Learn to huff i fyou dont already, that was much easier.

7) What kind of stiches did they use disolvable? clips?

I had stitches, next time I would ask for glue whcih some docs use now. Also, get stitches out before you leave hospital only rpoblem with stitches is when they stay in too long, mine came out just fine except 2 and that was just like a bad eyebrow hair or seomthing but if they stay in too long it can be hard. Stitches no more than 4 days!

8) Were you afraid of coughing while lying on your back in surgery?

No, at that point thought never crossed my mind, of course too many drugs so my mind wasnt working at ALL!

mom2lillian

I have reactions to most pain meds, so for me I tried 3 different IV meds before switching to pills. I was taking 800mg ibuprofen and alternating iwth vicodin (one of few dont make me ill), it was a strong vicodin--cant remember basically like a double dose for the days in hospital but I went home iwth regular vicodin. It may hav ebeen weak for most but it was fine for me, I took meds regularly for 6 days though mostly just iburprofen after first 4 days then a bit here or there after that. In hindsight I took them a bit too long as then I woudlnt feel if I was doing too much and would hurt myself by overdoing it, I was 'cleaning' up my hospital room moving suitcase etc, I know idiot right? I only had one small spot that hurt in incision, rest was great.

I was holding/nursin gher right away, as I mentioned pain meds hit me hard so for first nursing session immediately after I was too numb to use my arms so hubby held her to my breast and she ate that way. After that I would hold her but hubby did all diaper changing, bringing her to me and burping puttin her in crib etc when she was sleeping, I was more just resting and nursing. I was walkign the same day to bathroom etc but I did have her at 3am so I had time that whole day.

Read about every option out there, make a birth plan but keep in mind the whole goal is to have healthy babies so as long as you reach that goal everythign else that goes 'right' is just a bonus. Make very clear though that if you do have a c they are not to give pacey, formula, bottle etc if you want to nurse. For me nursing worked great and delivery was a nightmare but if I had to have one or other I would pick it this way every time!

6) Did it hurt to cough?

Yes, I had a wrap on that helped hold in belly and I would hold a pillow to my stomach. Learn to huff i fyou dont already, that was much easier.

I had stitches, next time I would ask for glue whcih some docs use now. Also, get stitches out before you leave hospital only rpoblem with stitches is when they stay in too long, mine came out just fine except 2 and that was just like a bad eyebrow hair or seomthing but if they stay in too long it can be hard. Stitches no more than 4 days!

No, at that point thought never crossed my mind, of course too many drugs so my mind wasnt working at ALL!

mom2lillian

6) Did it hurt to cough?

mom2lillian

6) Did it hurt to cough?

mom2lillian

6) Did it hurt to cough?

K

Keepercjr

I'm sorry that you feel a little attacked Nicole. I guess I only say what I do because there are risks associated with c-sections and many people don't know that for specific situations you don't actually HAVE to have one despite someone telling you that you do. I think that if a woman knows the risks and benefits for her particular situation and goes ahead with the c-section then good for her! But I honestly doubt most people are really informed (I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just the general population). Maybe it is a fault but I hate to think that people aren't fully informed. C-sections save lives every day and I don't doubt that for 1 minute. My sister in law and nephew wouldn't be alive without her having one. But the c-section rates in this country are way above what the WHO says they should be and there is a reason for it - and its not just that we have more high risk pregnancies. LOTS of people chose (fully researched) c-sections in Kelly's shoes - I was just letting her know that if she doesn't want one, there are other options. Wasn't telling her which way to go at all!

I don't ever assume that someone's c-section was unnecessary or even unwanted. But now that I know more about birth and have read the research I know that the US obstetric system is a little backwards (run by tradition, malpractice insurance and health insurance) - generally evidence based medicine comes last.

Lastly, I totally respect Tara's statement that she'd never give birth any other way than a c-section, just as I respect Hailey's statement that she'd never give birth without an epidural. I wouldn't chose those things but that doesn't mean I think they didn't do their research. Everyone makes the decision that is best for them

OH when I was talking about birth plans above, I was specifically referring to a C-SECTION birth plan. That if she is afraid of the surgery there are some things she can ask for (and get) so she feels a little more in control. Planned c-sections are the best ones for having a birth plan for since the hospital staff have more time to make things better for you.

K

Keepercjr

I'm sorry that you feel a little attacked Nicole. I guess I only say what I do because there are risks associated with c-sections and many people don't know that for specific situations you don't actually HAVE to have one despite someone telling you that you do. I think that if a woman knows the risks and benefits for her particular situation and goes ahead with the c-section then good for her! But I honestly doubt most people are really informed (I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just the general population). Maybe it is a fault but I hate to think that people aren't fully informed. C-sections save lives every day and I don't doubt that for 1 minute. My sister in law and nephew wouldn't be alive without her having one. But the c-section rates in this country are way above what the WHO says they should be and there is a reason for it - and its not just that we have more high risk pregnancies. LOTS of people chose (fully researched) c-sections in Kelly's shoes - I was just letting her know that if she doesn't want one, there are other options. Wasn't telling her which way to go at all!

I don't ever assume that someone's c-section was unnecessary or even unwanted. But now that I know more about birth and have read the research I know that the US obstetric system is a little backwards (run by tradition, malpractice insurance and health insurance) - generally evidence based medicine comes last.

Lastly, I totally respect Tara's statement that she'd never give birth any other way than a c-section, just as I respect Hailey's statement that she'd never give birth without an epidural. I wouldn't chose those things but that doesn't mean I think they didn't do their research. Everyone makes the decision that is best for them

OH when I was talking about birth plans above, I was specifically referring to a C-SECTION birth plan. That if she is afraid of the surgery there are some things she can ask for (and get) so she feels a little more in control. Planned c-sections are the best ones for having a birth plan for since the hospital staff have more time to make things better for you.

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr