Camping

harrabell

We have a camping trip planned for this summer, and I am wondering about whether it is safe to have my 3 month old CFer around a lot of dust and campfires. We have the option of keeping her away for the most part, but I am wondering what the risks are, and if there is any safe level of exposure. Thanks!

nmw0615

I've been camping for as long as I can remember. I asked my mom when my first camping trip was and I was just a couple months old. As long as you keep her out of the direct line of smoke, I think she'll be fine.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I used to go camping with my grandparents all the time when I was younger. I agree with nmw0615.....As long as the smoke isn't blowing directly on her then everything else should be fine. I don't see why you shouldn't take her.

Hope you have fun! :)

K

Kaethe108

May I ask how you managed your therapy during camping?
Compressor for inhalation needs electricity, you need freshwater to clean the equipment, a bottle sterilizer and a clean and dry place to dry them...
We love camping, but now with a cf child we dont know how to manage?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Originally posted by: Kaethe108 May I ask how you managed your therapy during camping? Compressor for inhalation needs electricity, you need freshwater to clean the equipment, a bottle sterilizer and a clean and dry place to dry them... We love camping, but now with a cf child we dont know how to manage?
My grandparents had a camper complete with electricity & appliances. I think I remember them bringing sterile jugs of water. My grandma always kept the counter area clean.

nmw0615

When I go camping, it's usually only for 2 nights. I don't take my Vest, so I miss about 4 rounds of that treatment, but I always do it first thing when we get home. I do have an acapella that I take, but I don't usually end up using it unless I really have to.

As for the nebs, we have a small inverter that we plug into our car so we can get enough power for all those treatments. We take sterile water to rinse them off in while camping and we always completely sterilize them when we get home.

Jet

I use to camp all the time, both as a child and when my children were younger. Depending on where you go a lot of parks have electric hook ups. I did a round of TOBI sitting in the tent with a long drop cord. I take the flutter too.

K

Kaethe108

When we go camping we sleep in a tent. Usually in the middle of nowhere... So a compressor for the car sounds like a good Idea!
Remains the problem how to sterilize and dry the equipment. We use a pari boy and sterilize everything after each treatment in a baby bottle sterilizer?

K

katethekid

Just wanted to mention that you can always camp at the state parks. They have water, fire pits, and electricity right at the camping site (or most of them do). And if you happen to go to one that doesn't the park rangers are usually very nice and have let me use their office to do my treatments before. I've always been the kid to drink from the faucet so I've never worried about boiling the water. Hasn't been a problem yet :) Hoping for all the best!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS just went camping with his daycare last night. DH ran out this morning with the vest, nebs and a power converter to run the vest from the car. Planning to have it wired professionally, but this was sort of a last minute decision and rather than cart him back and forth from the campground 20 miles out to home and back, we did this. The power converter hooks to the battery.

B

BikerEd

Yup power converters are great! I usually skip nebs when camping (only one or two days). However our last trip our friends wanted to go to a state park for a week. Our friends thought we were taking all the fun out of it when I reserved a site with utility hookups, I told them it was for my nebs and that was that. they thought "that's great! So glad you can do your 'stuff ' (they care, they just forget what to call things) " skip to Saturday @ noon I say I'm going to head over and do my stuff, my oldest goes with me cause she likes cleaning and setting up my nebs (she wants to be a nurse). Skip 45 minutes later my buddy walks over and he sees that I've got an A/C hooked up blowing into the tent cable running to the Tv and my kid and I are watching college football. He looks at me in complete contempt and say's "you coulda told me, looks like I missed the first quarter". Now whenever we make plan's to go camping he reminds his wife "don't forget Ed needs utilities for his CF 'stuff '"

Gnome

We camp in a newer tent trailer. It has power and we do nebulizer treatments and everything just like at home. We just don't worry about dust and smoke because it is fairly infrequent exposure.

S

SarahProcter

We've taken my daughter camping along with her nebs and vest. So far we've only camped in places where we could get to an outlet somewhere for treatments, though we figure we'll get an inverter for the car at some point. With regard to nebs, we bought many extra sets, sterilized them all at home, and packed them in individual clean ziploc bags. That way we avoided the need to clean any nebs until we got home. Obviously this scales better for a 3-4 day trip than for a 10+ day venture :)