Can a CF carrier be affected physically/medically by the gene?

mom2haydie

I would agree that carriers can have symptoms. I have IBS with diarrhea bad enough that I have to take a prescription pill at least twice a day to keep it in check. If I eat something with a high fat content, say fetticune alfredo, it's all over. It pretty much goes straight on through. (sorry, too much info). I also have had issues with chronic sinus infections. Through high school and college my doc threatned me with sinus surgery all the time. Now I pretty much start an antibiotic the second I feel something coming on and it keeps it in check. We have pretty much figured out that my mom's sister that died at 28 days old died from a CF cause bowel obstruction. My 83 grandmother (my would-be aunts mother) has always battled asthma and digestive issues. On the other hand, my husband has absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. We haven't ever been tested to see who gave which mutation so I don't know if that plays any kind of role.

mom2haydie

I would agree that carriers can have symptoms. I have IBS with diarrhea bad enough that I have to take a prescription pill at least twice a day to keep it in check. If I eat something with a high fat content, say fetticune alfredo, it's all over. It pretty much goes straight on through. (sorry, too much info). I also have had issues with chronic sinus infections. Through high school and college my doc threatned me with sinus surgery all the time. Now I pretty much start an antibiotic the second I feel something coming on and it keeps it in check. We have pretty much figured out that my mom's sister that died at 28 days old died from a CF cause bowel obstruction. My 83 grandmother (my would-be aunts mother) has always battled asthma and digestive issues. On the other hand, my husband has absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. We haven't ever been tested to see who gave which mutation so I don't know if that plays any kind of role.

mom2haydie

mom2haydie

mom2haydie

JORDYSMOM

I am a symptomatic carrier. My oldest son is also. That being said, you may be correct about the correlation between your husband's issues, and his driving a truck. If he doesn't get enough exercise, and if he is not eating healthy, and not drinking enough water, he is bound to have problems. It's really hard to say in his case, but I can attest to the fact that carriers do have symptoms.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I am a symptomatic carrier. My oldest son is also. That being said, you may be correct about the correlation between your husband's issues, and his driving a truck. If he doesn't get enough exercise, and if he is not eating healthy, and not drinking enough water, he is bound to have problems. It's really hard to say in his case, but I can attest to the fact that carriers do have symptoms.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

annaally

As time goes our family of cf carriers is increasing. My husband and I are both carriers of delta F 508. We are both very healty (36 and 33 y.o.), with no sick history. Same for my sister, aslo a carrier. She even participated in the Olympic games in Atalanta!! Very strong AND healthy. I do not know which of my parents that are carriers, but alslo there, no problems as mentioned above. For my husbands family, the same...all healthy! But, we are both healthy families that priortize healthy food and daily exercise.

However, what I have found interesting is that there are some researchers that believe (also som that disagree with this) that the mutation has developed in parts of the world where colera (diahreah diseases) used to be more common, and that this mutation actually reduce the chance of getting diareah :0) Me and both my sisters have very hard digestion, even though we eat lots of vegetables, fish and fruits.

But, I would not conclude that being a carrier is the reason to having digestion problems if my diet and exercise is not good. Studies show that this helps drastically! So perhaps a lifestyle change can do miracles? Also, I think it is more complex than just being a carrier. People have all different kinds of genes and mutations, many which we do not know. Perhaps it is these to blaim for health problems and not the cf mutation?

I have been interested in the histroy of these mutations, because it can also tell us about human movemnets in the world. It was when I looked for this that I found the colera information, and I thought it was a nice way of thinking about it. Perhaps this was an important mutation, saving lifes a long time ago?

Anna

annaally

As time goes our family of cf carriers is increasing. My husband and I are both carriers of delta F 508. We are both very healty (36 and 33 y.o.), with no sick history. Same for my sister, aslo a carrier. She even participated in the Olympic games in Atalanta!! Very strong AND healthy. I do not know which of my parents that are carriers, but alslo there, no problems as mentioned above. For my husbands family, the same...all healthy! But, we are both healthy families that priortize healthy food and daily exercise.

However, what I have found interesting is that there are some researchers that believe (also som that disagree with this) that the mutation has developed in parts of the world where colera (diahreah diseases) used to be more common, and that this mutation actually reduce the chance of getting diareah :0) Me and both my sisters have very hard digestion, even though we eat lots of vegetables, fish and fruits.

But, I would not conclude that being a carrier is the reason to having digestion problems if my diet and exercise is not good. Studies show that this helps drastically! So perhaps a lifestyle change can do miracles? Also, I think it is more complex than just being a carrier. People have all different kinds of genes and mutations, many which we do not know. Perhaps it is these to blaim for health problems and not the cf mutation?

I have been interested in the histroy of these mutations, because it can also tell us about human movemnets in the world. It was when I looked for this that I found the colera information, and I thought it was a nice way of thinking about it. Perhaps this was an important mutation, saving lifes a long time ago?

Anna

annaally

Anna

annaally

Anna

annaally

Anna