can anyone recommend a good vaccuum

tabbycat821

I want a good vaccuum to get all the dirt and stuff out of the carpet so my CFer isnt aggravaited by anything in the carpet, can anyone recommend a good one?

tabbycat821

I want a good vaccuum to get all the dirt and stuff out of the carpet so my CFer isnt aggravaited by anything in the carpet, can anyone recommend a good one?

CJPsMom

We have a Dyson and it's been amazing. We have the one for pets (DC 25, I think). The attachments aren't great, but the suction is incredible. The first time I used it I was horrified at how much my old vaccuum had left behind.
And it's bagless & super easy to empty.

CJPsMom

We have a Dyson and it's been amazing. We have the one for pets (DC 25, I think). The attachments aren't great, but the suction is incredible. The first time I used it I was horrified at how much my old vaccuum had left behind.
And it's bagless & super easy to empty.

Anomie

Yup. The dyson is amazing. They literally never lose suction. They're kinda expensive ($400) but everyone that gets one says they can't believe how much their old vacuum cleaner left behind!

Anomie

Yup. The dyson is amazing. They literally never lose suction. They're kinda expensive ($400) but everyone that gets one says they can't believe how much their old vacuum cleaner left behind!

Melissa75

Administrator
I have a Miele (Callisto, I think). It's 5 yrs old and works perfectly still, never a glitch. It has an airtight canister and bag with a seal-thing. Nothing escapes back into the air. It cost an arm and a leg ($800) and I wasn't sure when I bought it if I was crazy or not, but give how long it's lasted and how I used to have to get vacuums fixed or replaced every 2-3 yrs, it has paid off.

Melissa75

Administrator
I have a Miele (Callisto, I think). It's 5 yrs old and works perfectly still, never a glitch. It has an airtight canister and bag with a seal-thing. Nothing escapes back into the air. It cost an arm and a leg ($800) and I wasn't sure when I bought it if I was crazy or not, but give how long it's lasted and how I used to have to get vacuums fixed or replaced every 2-3 yrs, it has paid off.

kitomd21

Dyson Animal. I used to have a "regular" Dyson...switched to the Animal and was horrified at how much the first one left behind....

kitomd21

Dyson Animal. I used to have a "regular" Dyson...switched to the Animal and was horrified at how much the first one left behind....

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't like the bagless machines. We used to have a bagless electric broom for the hardwood floors and when I'd go to empty it, the dust would fly up into my face. With our Riccar we've got the hardwood floor kit, so everything goes right into the bag. Think I paid a couple hundred for the basic machine last year and our previous machine was priced similarly but had more bells and whistles. It was over 15 years old and still ran fine, I sent it to my inlaws vacation home and they remarked about how poorly their previous vacuum must've been working because they got a TON of stuff up with it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't like the bagless machines. We used to have a bagless electric broom for the hardwood floors and when I'd go to empty it, the dust would fly up into my face. With our Riccar we've got the hardwood floor kit, so everything goes right into the bag. Think I paid a couple hundred for the basic machine last year and our previous machine was priced similarly but had more bells and whistles. It was over 15 years old and still ran fine, I sent it to my inlaws vacation home and they remarked about how poorly their previous vacuum must've been working because they got a TON of stuff up with it.

Incomudrox

Windsor Vacuums are amazing but pricey, but never lose suction and are extremely clean as far as output air. They are industrial cleaning grade. They are virtually indestructible as well. They are made in Germany.

Incomudrox

Windsor Vacuums are amazing but pricey, but never lose suction and are extremely clean as far as output air. They are industrial cleaning grade. They are virtually indestructible as well. They are made in Germany.

H

hammerpocket

Hey, somebody finally pulled me out of my forum lurker status!

Like Melissa I use a Miele Callisto. There are several videos on YouTube comparing particle filtration with Miele versus Dyson vacuums using a particle meter at the exhaust. The results are startling, with the Dyson models usually showing a much higher particle exhaust than the measurement for the air in the room. In other words, it's actually polluting the room. Measuring the Miele exhaust, the particle meter quickly goes down to zero. The main difference (I think) is that the Dysons don't have a good seal around the HEPA filter, so dust can just go around it.

If you have the money to spend, a really nice vacuum may last you 20+ years. I'm not familiar with Riccar or Windsor; those might be good brands, too.

H

hammerpocket

Hey, somebody finally pulled me out of my forum lurker status!

Like Melissa I use a Miele Callisto. There are several videos on YouTube comparing particle filtration with Miele versus Dyson vacuums using a particle meter at the exhaust. The results are startling, with the Dyson models usually showing a much higher particle exhaust than the measurement for the air in the room. In other words, it's actually polluting the room. Measuring the Miele exhaust, the particle meter quickly goes down to zero. The main difference (I think) is that the Dysons don't have a good seal around the HEPA filter, so dust can just go around it.

If you have the money to spend, a really nice vacuum may last you 20+ years. I'm not familiar with Riccar or Windsor; those might be good brands, too.

LouLou

I am also a Miele owner. I did my research back in 2002 and found it was the best. I love not only how well it works but all the attachments and how quiet it is. Not even the dog is scared when I use it. Mine was $700. 10 years old and running strong! The only other one I considered was the Rainbow (think that was it...blows dirt into water) but it's a hassle to have to deal with dumping the dirty water.

LouLou

I am also a Miele owner. I did my research back in 2002 and found it was the best. I love not only how well it works but all the attachments and how quiet it is. Not even the dog is scared when I use it. Mine was $700. 10 years old and running strong! The only other one I considered was the Rainbow (think that was it...blows dirt into water) but it's a hassle to have to deal with dumping the dirty water.