Can you have ABPA without it showing up in your sputum

Giggles

thanks. I have all the symptoms of it and lived in a house for a year that possibly had mold.... I do not culture it but I have had such an awful year and still recovering from moving from that place. Going to doc and having him test for ABPA but it has not shown up in my sputum.... Thanks!

Giggles

thanks. I have all the symptoms of it and lived in a house for a year that possibly had mold.... I do not culture it but I have had such an awful year and still recovering from moving from that place. Going to doc and having him test for ABPA but it has not shown up in my sputum.... Thanks!

Rachie

Hi I have Aspergillus and it has never showed up in my sputum, only my blood which show a high IgG (this shows it is present, high IgE shows you are allergic to its presence, called ABPA). I am on Voriconazole to try and eradicate it...not seen a huge difference yet but apparently it can take months. If you have ABPA ie are allergic to aspergillus you are likely to have steroids as well. Some centres don't treat aspergillus unless you are showing signs of ABPA. I'm in the UK though and now they seem to be treating just the presence of it if you LF is slipping.

Rachie

Hi I have Aspergillus and it has never showed up in my sputum, only my blood which show a high IgG (this shows it is present, high IgE shows you are allergic to its presence, called ABPA). I am on Voriconazole to try and eradicate it...not seen a huge difference yet but apparently it can take months. If you have ABPA ie are allergic to aspergillus you are likely to have steroids as well. Some centres don't treat aspergillus unless you are showing signs of ABPA. I'm in the UK though and now they seem to be treating just the presence of it if you LF is slipping.

M

MCGrad2006

What are the symptoms? I ask because I have had Aspergillus in my culture before, but it didn't show up 6 weeks ago, but my PFT's are not good. I feel great, but am still wondering.

My doctor is currently treating me with Vori...just in case it is that. He said that he thinks its good because I do NOT have the allergy to it...but since it has shown in my culture before, it is worth it to treat at least for a shot...since not much else helped.

M

MCGrad2006

What are the symptoms? I ask because I have had Aspergillus in my culture before, but it didn't show up 6 weeks ago, but my PFT's are not good. I feel great, but am still wondering.

My doctor is currently treating me with Vori...just in case it is that. He said that he thinks its good because I do NOT have the allergy to it...but since it has shown in my culture before, it is worth it to treat at least for a shot...since not much else helped.

Giggles

Symptoms are shortness of breath while or while not exercising, increase sputum, decrease lung function, wheezing, coughing........ I am gonna have my doc check it out and do the blood test when I go in to see him!

Giggles

Symptoms are shortness of breath while or while not exercising, increase sputum, decrease lung function, wheezing, coughing........ I am gonna have my doc check it out and do the blood test when I go in to see him!

Havoc

Regarding Voriconazole, I have been told by several docs that it's not always indicated. Like oral antibiotics, voriconazole can only treat cells that have been infected. In APBA, it's usually an allergic reaction to the aspergillus growing in the mucus. Some docs however choose to treat with an oral antifungal, which are not without their side effects. My point being that if you don't tolerate voriconazole well, it might not necessarily be an essential treatment.

Also, while high dose steroids are often the standard for ABPA, they have a crapload of side effects (including insulin resistance). Xolair is an alternative treatment to high dose steroid treatment.

Havoc

Regarding Voriconazole, I have been told by several docs that it's not always indicated. Like oral antibiotics, voriconazole can only treat cells that have been infected. In APBA, it's usually an allergic reaction to the aspergillus growing in the mucus. Some docs however choose to treat with an oral antifungal, which are not without their side effects. My point being that if you don't tolerate voriconazole well, it might not necessarily be an essential treatment.

Also, while high dose steroids are often the standard for ABPA, they have a crapload of side effects (including insulin resistance). Xolair is an alternative treatment to high dose steroid treatment.