Canadian vs. US lifespan

tessa55454

I was reading on the CF Foundation website that Canadian CFer's live an average of 47.7 years vs. 37.4 for US residents.

Ideas? Thoughts? I am exceptionally curious.

tessa55454

I was reading on the CF Foundation website that Canadian CFer's live an average of 47.7 years vs. 37.4 for US residents.

Ideas? Thoughts? I am exceptionally curious.

tessa55454

<br />
<br />Ideas? Thoughts? I am exceptionally curious.

M

Mommafirst

I doubt its a true difference, but merely playing with the stats a bit. I'm not sure, you'd have to look into where they are getting their numbers. If you look at the CFF (US) website, you'll see that the 37 is a "predicted median age". Which doesn't mean that patients are living to about 37, it means that they predict half will make it past 37. However, they recently reported that only about 47% are currently living past the age of 18. URGh -- stats can be confusing and different sources can use them for whichever purpose they wish to.

So are Canadian CF patients living longer than American CF patients? Possibly yes, but possibly no.

M

Mommafirst

I doubt its a true difference, but merely playing with the stats a bit. I'm not sure, you'd have to look into where they are getting their numbers. If you look at the CFF (US) website, you'll see that the 37 is a "predicted median age". Which doesn't mean that patients are living to about 37, it means that they predict half will make it past 37. However, they recently reported that only about 47% are currently living past the age of 18. URGh -- stats can be confusing and different sources can use them for whichever purpose they wish to.

So are Canadian CF patients living longer than American CF patients? Possibly yes, but possibly no.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />So are Canadian CF patients living longer than American CF patients? Possibly yes, but possibly no.

hmw

I have the feeling they are 'predicting' their population's lifespan in some way as well, the same way the CFF does for our population.

I personally hate the way statistics can be twisted. I want to know the reality of *now*, since that is what we live with. Whatever is 'projected' for the future is meaningless- too many variables that can change over time in either direction.

hmw

I have the feeling they are 'predicting' their population's lifespan in some way as well, the same way the CFF does for our population.

I personally hate the way statistics can be twisted. I want to know the reality of *now*, since that is what we live with. Whatever is 'projected' for the future is meaningless- too many variables that can change over time in either direction.

hmw

<br />
<br />I personally hate the way statistics can be twisted. I want to know the reality of *now*, since that is what we live with. Whatever is 'projected' for the future is meaningless- too many variables that can change over time in either direction.

A

alegris

Hey, I'm from Canada and I have the actual report where this is cited and they give an explanation somewhere in there why they think the median is so high in Canada.

It's a very interesting report if you can get through all the stats! I hope the link works.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/assets/files/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf">http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/a...s/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf</a>

A

alegris

Hey, I'm from Canada and I have the actual report where this is cited and they give an explanation somewhere in there why they think the median is so high in Canada.

It's a very interesting report if you can get through all the stats! I hope the link works.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/assets/files/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf">http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/a...s/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf</a>

A

alegris

<br />
<br />It's a very interesting report if you can get through all the stats! I hope the link works.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/assets/files/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf">http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/a...s/pdf/CPDR_ReportE.pdf</a>

just1more

The summary is on pg23, but I can't get it to let me copy/paste. My synopsis is: age at dx has little impact, transplants have increased some and the biggest indicator is aggressive nutritional support. Thus, if they are seeing a higher survival age, then we (US) need to be looking at how we manage BMI & overall nutrition.

just1more

The summary is on pg23, but I can't get it to let me copy/paste. My synopsis is: age at dx has little impact, transplants have increased some and the biggest indicator is aggressive nutritional support. Thus, if they are seeing a higher survival age, then we (US) need to be looking at how we manage BMI & overall nutrition.

just1more

theLostMiler

"push for overall nutrition and BMI"

Yea, I have actually noticed a lot of that increasing at least with the CF doctors I have seen. They really emphasize the correlation between pfts and weight... plus with more weight your body has more to fight off the bugs with.

I feel that is why a lot of younger patients (I feel like anyways) get g-tubes (or have their doctors talk about putting one in) even if not necessarily having weight problems...

I myself tend to feel my best and also had a culture clear of Mycobacterium Abscessus for I think 6 months when I was at my highest weight.

theLostMiler

Yea, I have actually noticed a lot of that increasing at least with the CF doctors I have seen. They really emphasize the correlation between pfts and weight... plus with more weight your body has more to fight off the bugs with.

I feel that is why a lot of younger patients (I feel like anyways) get g-tubes (or have their doctors talk about putting one in) even if not necessarily having weight problems...

I myself tend to feel my best and also had a culture clear of Mycobacterium Abscessus for I think 6 months when I was at my highest weight.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />Yea, I have actually noticed a lot of that increasing at least with the CF doctors I have seen. They really emphasize the correlation between pfts and weight... plus with more weight your body has more to fight off the bugs with.
<br />
<br />I feel that is why a lot of younger patients (I feel like anyways) get g-tubes (or have their doctors talk about putting one in) even if not necessarily having weight problems...
<br />
<br />I myself tend to feel my best and also had a culture clear of Mycobacterium Abscessus for I think 6 months when I was at my highest weight.

hmw

Canadian vs. US lifesp

According to page 21, the median age in 2007 for those who died was 25. Just a bit of a contrast with the rest of the statistics to follow.

eta> at least they put that in a chart. I've never seen the cff make that clear for us.

hmw

Canadian vs. US lifesp

According to page 21, the median age in 2007 for those who died was 25. Just a bit of a contrast with the rest of the statistics to follow.

eta> at least they put that in a chart. I've never seen the cff make that clear for us.