Candida Albicans in throat culture

jeninca1010

My 6 year old cultured moderate amounts of Candida Albicans in his latest throat culture. Everything else was normal and has been "normal" for over 2 years. He has just been treated for pneumonia (his first ever cough) with IV antibiotics for 2 weeks and then Zithromax. His sinuses are the root cause and a CT scan last week showed "near complete opacification" which means his sinuses are totally gunked up. He's still coughing but we think it is sinus drainage. His PFTs are great (over 100) and he has no pain or fever. I'm wondering if the Candida is causing the sinus problems??? And I assume they'll treat it with Diflucan? The CF doc is out of town this week (of course). Anyway, just wondering if this is something I should be worrying about??

Thanks!

Jennifer mom to Ashton (6) and Lola (2), both wcf
Wichita KS

jeninca1010

My 6 year old cultured moderate amounts of Candida Albicans in his latest throat culture. Everything else was normal and has been "normal" for over 2 years. He has just been treated for pneumonia (his first ever cough) with IV antibiotics for 2 weeks and then Zithromax. His sinuses are the root cause and a CT scan last week showed "near complete opacification" which means his sinuses are totally gunked up. He's still coughing but we think it is sinus drainage. His PFTs are great (over 100) and he has no pain or fever. I'm wondering if the Candida is causing the sinus problems??? And I assume they'll treat it with Diflucan? The CF doc is out of town this week (of course). Anyway, just wondering if this is something I should be worrying about??

Thanks!

Wichita KS

jeninca1010

Thanks!

Wichita KS

jeninca1010

Thanks!

Wichita KS

jeninca1010

Thanks!

Wichita KS

Alyssa

I would not consider myself an expert, but I don't think this is a big deal. Yeah, I would imagine Dyflucan would be the way to go. I kind of doubt that yeast will cause sinus blockage, but I could be wrong.

His PFT's sure sound great!

Alyssa

I would not consider myself an expert, but I don't think this is a big deal. Yeah, I would imagine Dyflucan would be the way to go. I kind of doubt that yeast will cause sinus blockage, but I could be wrong.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa