candida kefyr

Melissa75

Administrator
Anyone else grow this?

Last time i was sick, my dr had me do a culture. I respond to orals, but because my last last ct scan had a bunch of nodules/opacities, we're kinda wondering if MAC or aspergillus will eventually pop up. I've grown m. Gordonae here and there, and "rare yeasts" which they never bothered to pursue to identify except for this time. (until my PFTs or well-being go significantly downhill, I'm not interested in more bronchoscopies. Bleeding disorder discovery and ICU adventure in my past.)

So I'm curious if anyone has had this yeast and if you benefitted from treating it. All the internet tells me is that it is an emerging pathogen in compromised people.

Kaylin grew this last year sometime. They put her on a medicine and I can't remember the name right now but it was found when they did an indoscopy. The pics showed all kinds of white "stuff" inside. It was shocking to see those pics. She has a hard time producing sputum to be cultured so we dont do it very often.

Melissa75

Administrator
Kaylinsmom, thanks for replying. So your daughter was growing the yeast in her stomach/esophagus? My culture was sputum, but I guess the yeast could come from my throat too. I know drs doing 'scopies of any sort always mention a "big patch of thrush" back there that I can't see and don't feel.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Did either of you/kid have issues swallowing? DS started acting funny swallowing a couple weeks ago. Said it doesn't hurt, etc. But DH had a yeast infection in his esphogus (sp?) and said that it felt weird to swallow. Just trying to determine if that could be too. And how bad was the med? Antibitoic? Hard on little one???

Yes, Kaylin had it in her esophagus. The pics looked horrible. She never complained! But , then again, she never does. I have had to learn how to tell when she is sick because she always says she is fine. I can't remember the medicine they put her on but it seems like it was a type of antibiotic. I always give Kaylin probiotics along with an antibiotic because it upsets her stomach otherwise. The docs did the endoscopy to see if she had scarring from reflux (which she did) and thats when they found the yeast.

Melissa75

Administrator
Love,
My thrush is somewhere i can't see but scopes do. Lower throat? I've no problem swallowing from it.
But postnasal drip can make swallowing hard for me...i try to "snork" it loose and swallow it. It gets stuck. I use the nasal wash and let it pour down instead of out my nostrils sometimes.
Maybe your son' s sinuses are acting up? I've had no flu this winter--fingers crossed--but am blowing bloody stuff out my nose a lot.