cannula keeps coming out at night

mamerth

I changed cannula on Tuesday. Ever since then the nose pieces seem super shallow in my nose. The nose part keeps popping out at night. Do I have a defective cannula??? I don't usually have this problem. One night I found them down around my mouth and anothe morning they were up by my forehead.
I have tried cinching up on the slider under my neck and moving the tubing higher on my face (to rest on my cheek bones). Nothing seems to help.
Do the oxygen companies sometimes send "slightly" defective cannulas?? I hate to change cannulas before my week is up but I may not have much of a choice.

mamerth

I changed cannula on Tuesday. Ever since then the nose pieces seem super shallow in my nose. The nose part keeps popping out at night. Do I have a defective cannula??? I don't usually have this problem. One night I found them down around my mouth and anothe morning they were up by my forehead.
I have tried cinching up on the slider under my neck and moving the tubing higher on my face (to rest on my cheek bones). Nothing seems to help.
Do the oxygen companies sometimes send "slightly" defective cannulas?? I hate to change cannulas before my week is up but I may not have much of a choice.

muchlove

I have the same problem regardless of the cannula. I wouldnt think its a defect but its strange that it didnt happen previously. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

muchlove

I have the same problem regardless of the cannula. I wouldnt think its a defect but its strange that it didnt happen previously. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Havoc

Could you use a thin strip of hypo-allergenic tape? I use this technique when I have patients immobilized and don't have access to ears to place the NC correctly.

Havoc

Could you use a thin strip of hypo-allergenic tape? I use this technique when I have patients immobilized and don't have access to ears to place the NC correctly.

kayers3

You could try wearing it "backwards". So it would go over your ears and around the back of your head instead of hanging in the front. Cinch it up so it's not loose, that may help it from falling off.

kayers3

You could try wearing it "backwards". So it would go over your ears and around the back of your head instead of hanging in the front. Cinch it up so it's not loose, that may help it from falling off.

JustDucky

I would do what Kyla does, it seems to fit better that way. Also, you must may have a faulty cannula that won't fit right no matter what you do, it's happened to me and I have had to toss them on occasion. Certain brands def fit better than others and are more comfortable so you might want to experiment with different ones. I have taped my cannulas as well, but my skin hates tape and I have wound up with blisters, but if your skin isn't really sensitive, that is another option.

Hope something works for you!
Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

I would do what Kyla does, it seems to fit better that way. Also, you must may have a faulty cannula that won't fit right no matter what you do, it's happened to me and I have had to toss them on occasion. Certain brands def fit better than others and are more comfortable so you might want to experiment with different ones. I have taped my cannulas as well, but my skin hates tape and I have wound up with blisters, but if your skin isn't really sensitive, that is another option.

Hope something works for you!
Jenn 40 wCF

mamerth

I tried the tape thing. I worked great. My skin is sensitive but I will keep moving it. The tape I have is just sticky enough for it to stay put but no so sticky that it removes any of my skin. It was tape that they gave it during my last tune up ( I am allergic to most tapes but this kind I am not).

I enjoyed an entire night of oxygen.

mamerth

I tried the tape thing. I worked great. My skin is sensitive but I will keep moving it. The tape I have is just sticky enough for it to stay put but no so sticky that it removes any of my skin. It was tape that they gave it during my last tune up ( I am allergic to most tapes but this kind I am not).

I enjoyed an entire night of oxygen.