Career Decisions

saveferris2009

A few pointers from me:

1. Never depend on a pension. It's easy for school districts/ states / even private institutions to go bankrupt. If they don't have money, you don't get a pension. Think of a pension as a nice benefit should you get it at the time, but don't depend on it. As we've seen, those who do set themselves up for disappointment

2. Maybe also pick a career that you can do remotely sometimes. So for example when you are healthy, you can do the work as you normally would. But then if you are in the slammer for 2 weeks, you can just telecommute and do your work from your hospital room from your computer. With SKYPE, iChat, gChat, etc., even attending meetings is very feasible. Also some careers can be done 100% remotely so if the disease progresses to where you can go in to work at all, this can be helpful.

Best of luck!

saveferris2009

A few pointers from me:

1. Never depend on a pension. It's easy for school districts/ states / even private institutions to go bankrupt. If they don't have money, you don't get a pension. Think of a pension as a nice benefit should you get it at the time, but don't depend on it. As we've seen, those who do set themselves up for disappointment

2. Maybe also pick a career that you can do remotely sometimes. So for example when you are healthy, you can do the work as you normally would. But then if you are in the slammer for 2 weeks, you can just telecommute and do your work from your hospital room from your computer. With SKYPE, iChat, gChat, etc., even attending meetings is very feasible. Also some careers can be done 100% remotely so if the disease progresses to where you can go in to work at all, this can be helpful.

Best of luck!

saveferris2009

A few pointers from me:

Best of luck!

saveferris2009

A few pointers from me:

Best of luck!

saveferris2009

A few pointers from me:
<br />
<br />1. Never depend on a pension. It's easy for school districts/ states / even private institutions to go bankrupt. If they don't have money, you don't get a pension. Think of a pension as a nice benefit should you get it at the time, but don't depend on it. As we've seen, those who do set themselves up for disappointment
<br />
<br />2. Maybe also pick a career that you can do remotely sometimes. So for example when you are healthy, you can do the work as you normally would. But then if you are in the slammer for 2 weeks, you can just telecommute and do your work from your hospital room from your computer. With SKYPE, iChat, gChat, etc., even attending meetings is very feasible. Also some careers can be done 100% remotely so if the disease progresses to where you can go in to work at all, this can be helpful.
<br />
<br />
<br />Best of luck!

Skye

Having a remote career is AWESOME for a CFer. I picked a very bad profession for me that involves hospital and kid care...Speech Therapy. I had to quit doing it to protect my lung function. You are just ALWAYS dealing with sick people and it gets harder and harder to stay healthy. So I did quit about a year ago and I now have found a way to do telepractice from home via my computer. That is such an awesome option. There are just simply times in life when you just need a break from the hussle and bussle of life and also you need a break from the flu season or whatever is being passed around.

Skye

Having a remote career is AWESOME for a CFer. I picked a very bad profession for me that involves hospital and kid care...Speech Therapy. I had to quit doing it to protect my lung function. You are just ALWAYS dealing with sick people and it gets harder and harder to stay healthy. So I did quit about a year ago and I now have found a way to do telepractice from home via my computer. That is such an awesome option. There are just simply times in life when you just need a break from the hussle and bussle of life and also you need a break from the flu season or whatever is being passed around.

Skye

Skye

Skye