Carrier vs. CF

hope0508

I am new to this and have a question. Can you be a CF carrier and then turn in to someone with CF? I thought that carriers couldn't develop CF. My niece was an atypical carrier but has not been told that she has a new strain of CF. I am very confused about this. Can anyone help me understand?

hope0508

I am new to this and have a question. Can you be a CF carrier and then turn in to someone with CF? I thought that carriers couldn't develop CF. My niece was an atypical carrier but has not been told that she has a new strain of CF. I am very confused about this. Can anyone help me understand?

hope0508

hope0508

hope0508

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
They probably never identified the 2nd mutation to begin with, so probably labeled her as a symptomatic carrier.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
They probably never identified the 2nd mutation to begin with, so probably labeled her as a symptomatic carrier.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

JustDucky

I am with Liza...testing has come a long way, there are over 1500 mutations and growing it seems. At the time your niece was tested, they only found one mutation and labeled her as a symptomatic carrier. Her next gene testing revealed the second. You are born with CF, it isn't developed over time. With some people it takes a repeat test after time has passed to find the second mutation, just like your niece. Hope this helps...Jenn

JustDucky

I am with Liza...testing has come a long way, there are over 1500 mutations and growing it seems. At the time your niece was tested, they only found one mutation and labeled her as a symptomatic carrier. Her next gene testing revealed the second. You are born with CF, it isn't developed over time. With some people it takes a repeat test after time has passed to find the second mutation, just like your niece. Hope this helps...Jenn

JustDucky

JustDucky

JustDucky