Carriers

Chrisso

Interesting indeed. But research indicates that it is a genetic advantage to be a carrier. The reason why the CFTR mutation occured in the first place is that it provides protection against things like TB in the lung (Tuberculosis attaches to CFTR to get into the lung cells). Similarly provides protection/advantage against things like Cholera which attaches to CFTR in gut epithelial cells. There is research going on into blocking CFTR to treat Cholera and looks promising.

Chrisso

Interesting indeed. But research indicates that it is a genetic advantage to be a carrier. The reason why the CFTR mutation occured in the first place is that it provides protection against things like TB in the lung (Tuberculosis attaches to CFTR to get into the lung cells). Similarly provides protection/advantage against things like Cholera which attaches to CFTR in gut epithelial cells. There is research going on into blocking CFTR to treat Cholera and looks promising.

Chrisso

Chrisso

Chrisso

Z

zeeannie

I've wondered too, sort of jokingly, but nonetheless... My husband's bathroom habits (sorry hubby!) make me wonder about carriers!

Z

zeeannie

I've wondered too, sort of jokingly, but nonetheless... My husband's bathroom habits (sorry hubby!) make me wonder about carriers!

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie