CAYSTON/Pregnant

A

alluneedislove

HiJust wondering if any pregnant chicks have been on Cayston? Did it work well for you? did you have any negative effects? Im nervous to go on it, its a category B so thats good but im still nervous its so new. I know my docs main concern is my health but i dont want anything to happen to the baby either. Any thoughts??

InhalingHope

First off, congrats on your pregnancy! How far along are you?

Although Cayston in the inhaled form is relatively new it was developed from an IV that has been around for a long time, Aztreonam. My doctor told that Aztreonam, the IV version of Cayston, is well tolerated and considered safe as far as medication and pregnancy go. Because the IV drug is considered a relatively safe choice during pregnancy then an inhaled form where less antibiotic gets into the blood stream is considered even safer. I would rather go on a Category B drug that has been used safely in IV form than allow an infection to develop and need more intensive intervention. I know pregnancy and CF is such a scary (and very exciting) event because not only do we worry about our own health, but also how our health and health regime might affect our developing baby.

UNCLoveCF

I know you are pregnant and must be careful but you have to put YOUR health first. Being that Cayston is considered a category 2 it should not be as harmful to your baby as other medications. The best person to speak with is your doctor. I know several women with CF who used antibiotics during their pregnancy. You must stay in top shape during your pregnancy and not skip any treatments. If your lungs are getting sick you need to treat it quickly. Recently the CF community lost a very dear friend of mine (Cyster) who was nearly six months pregnant. Shen coughed up blood during her pregnancy and unfortunately it got worse. I know there was a lot of medications she was unable to take due to pregnancy AND her lung function increased during pregnancy, so her doctors were not too concerned. Unfortunately, she lost the baby after massive hemoptysis and removal of her left lung and my friend died shortly thereafter. If you cough up any blood page your CF doctor immediately and go straight to the ER. Do NOT skip any medications that will help your lungs and are deemed safe during pregnancy (of course your going to worry, but all pregnant mothers worry!). At the end of the day, your health is more important than anything else. Especially since you already have a child to take care of and who needs you. I wish you all the best!