Cayston???

julie

Ordinairly I'd search previous posts but I don't have time and the moment and am looking for some answers/guidance rather ungently so please forgive me.

Cayston... it's a new antibiotic, right?

Does it target specific CF bugs? If so, which ones? If not, is it just a general antibiotic that one can use if the typical/fall back ones aren't working?

Thanks in advance,

julie

Ordinairly I'd search previous posts but I don't have time and the moment and am looking for some answers/guidance rather ungently so please forgive me.

Cayston... it's a new antibiotic, right?

Does it target specific CF bugs? If so, which ones? If not, is it just a general antibiotic that one can use if the typical/fall back ones aren't working?

Thanks in advance,

julie

<br />
<br />Cayston... it's a new antibiotic, right?
<br />
<br />Does it target specific CF bugs? If so, which ones? If not, is it just a general antibiotic that one can use if the typical/fall back ones aren't working?
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance,

LouLou

Hi Julie, Cayston is brand for astreonam. It treats pseudomonas aerigenosa infection in cf but is typically prescribed in the on 28 day, off 28 day fashion lending it more in my eyes as a prophylactic drug than an exacerbation drug.

If things have been going downhill for sometime Cayston is probably not going to do the trick. He'll probably need the big guns. Can he avoid admit and get a PICC line and do home IVs or are there compliance issues or resistance from the doc or what?

For me personally, Cayston works really well I believe against PA but I haven't found a drug to pair it with to treat my MRSA and my MRSA ends up flaring so bad each time that I end up coughing up tons of mucus and tired and requiring IVs soooo I don't use Cayston anymore.

I use Colistin and an anti staph oral drug when I am well on/off 28 days. The staph abx I only do for 14 days from day 15-28.

When I have symptoms of an exacerbation which for me are increased mucus, darker mucus, incontinence and disturbed sleep due to coughing it is time for IVs since my sputum culture results show that I am no longer sensitive to oral abx for my 2 strains of PA.

HOpe this helps!

LouLou

Hi Julie, Cayston is brand for astreonam. It treats pseudomonas aerigenosa infection in cf but is typically prescribed in the on 28 day, off 28 day fashion lending it more in my eyes as a prophylactic drug than an exacerbation drug.

If things have been going downhill for sometime Cayston is probably not going to do the trick. He'll probably need the big guns. Can he avoid admit and get a PICC line and do home IVs or are there compliance issues or resistance from the doc or what?

For me personally, Cayston works really well I believe against PA but I haven't found a drug to pair it with to treat my MRSA and my MRSA ends up flaring so bad each time that I end up coughing up tons of mucus and tired and requiring IVs soooo I don't use Cayston anymore.

I use Colistin and an anti staph oral drug when I am well on/off 28 days. The staph abx I only do for 14 days from day 15-28.

When I have symptoms of an exacerbation which for me are increased mucus, darker mucus, incontinence and disturbed sleep due to coughing it is time for IVs since my sputum culture results show that I am no longer sensitive to oral abx for my 2 strains of PA.

HOpe this helps!

LouLou

<br />
<br />If things have been going downhill for sometime Cayston is probably not going to do the trick. He'll probably need the big guns. Can he avoid admit and get a PICC line and do home IVs or are there compliance issues or resistance from the doc or what?
<br />
<br />For me personally, Cayston works really well I believe against PA but I haven't found a drug to pair it with to treat my MRSA and my MRSA ends up flaring so bad each time that I end up coughing up tons of mucus and tired and requiring IVs soooo I don't use Cayston anymore.
<br />
<br />I use Colistin and an anti staph oral drug when I am well on/off 28 days. The staph abx I only do for 14 days from day 15-28.
<br />
<br />When I have symptoms of an exacerbation which for me are increased mucus, darker mucus, incontinence and disturbed sleep due to coughing it is time for IVs since my sputum culture results show that I am no longer sensitive to oral abx for my 2 strains of PA.
<br />
<br />HOpe this helps!

julie

Thanks Lauren, I will pass this onto mark. they only have him on orals now but it clearly isn't doing the trick. He spoke to his CF doc today and I haven't heard the outcome of that, but I will pass this on.

Thank you!

julie

Thanks Lauren, I will pass this onto mark. they only have him on orals now but it clearly isn't doing the trick. He spoke to his CF doc today and I haven't heard the outcome of that, but I will pass this on.

Thank you!

julie

<br />
<br />Thank you!

kaphi72

Hi Julie, Cayston works very well for me. I have 4 sources of PA. PFT's were down to 26-30% and went back up to 48% because of Cayston, of course with exercice, rest and eating well. hope this helps.

kaphi72

Hi Julie, Cayston works very well for me. I have 4 sources of PA. PFT's were down to 26-30% and went back up to 48% because of Cayston, of course with exercice, rest and eating well. hope this helps.