Celexa

thelizardqueen

So as I mentioned a few days ago, my doctor has put me on a new med for my anxiety. Well, I took my very first dose this morning, and about two hours after I noticed that I was starting to feel sick to my stomach, dizzy, shakey and restless. Now I know that these are some of the mild side effects my doctor mentioned that I might get, and that it should only last about a week give or take, once my body gets used to the drug.

My question is, is for those who have taken this drug before, how long did you notice you had side effects for, and was there anything you did to ease them? I'm sitting here desperatly trying not to throw up, and I'm wondering just how long in the day I'll be feeling like this?

Any help would be appreciated!

thelizardqueen

So as I mentioned a few days ago, my doctor has put me on a new med for my anxiety. Well, I took my very first dose this morning, and about two hours after I noticed that I was starting to feel sick to my stomach, dizzy, shakey and restless. Now I know that these are some of the mild side effects my doctor mentioned that I might get, and that it should only last about a week give or take, once my body gets used to the drug.

My question is, is for those who have taken this drug before, how long did you notice you had side effects for, and was there anything you did to ease them? I'm sitting here desperatly trying not to throw up, and I'm wondering just how long in the day I'll be feeling like this?

thelizardqueen

mcbrash

Hi Liz

My son, Matt, was on celexa for some time before he passed and never had any side effects from them. I also have been taking them for the past couple of years, again, no side effects. What kind of dose are you taking? I know Matt was on quite a high dose compared to me which is only 20 mg once daily.

Sandy

Mom of Matt
Jan. 6/78 - May 15/05

mcbrash

Hi Liz

My son, Matt, was on celexa for some time before he passed and never had any side effects from them. I also have been taking them for the past couple of years, again, no side effects. What kind of dose are you taking? I know Matt was on quite a high dose compared to me which is only 20 mg once daily.

Sandy

Mom of Matt
Jan. 6/78 - May 15/05

mcbrash

Hi Liz

Sandy

Mom of Matt
Jan. 6/78 - May 15/05

thelizardqueen

I'm on 20mg a day. I still have a mild upset stomach, and I did end up throwing up about 2 hours after taking my first dose. Its been almost 5 hours since I took it, so I'm hoping that the upset stomach will go away soon. I was talking to someone who took a med similar to mine, and her doctor suggested coating the pill with some bread so that I may not get nauseated. I'm wondering if that might help.

thelizardqueen

I'm on 20mg a day. I still have a mild upset stomach, and I did end up throwing up about 2 hours after taking my first dose. Its been almost 5 hours since I took it, so I'm hoping that the upset stomach will go away soon. I was talking to someone who took a med similar to mine, and her doctor suggested coating the pill with some bread so that I may not get nauseated. I'm wondering if that might help.

thelizardqueen

KrazyKat

Hi Liz, you poor thing.....you've probably puked the drug down the toilet by now anyhow haha.

Did you eat before you took it? I know sometimes that can help. Also, what about knocking your dosage back to 10mg for the first few days while your body adjusts?

I know my ex partner said it made him feel 'spacey' when he first started taking it, quite out of it....but the sick puppy enjoyed it, which obviously you are not!!

I didn't feel nauseous exactly when i took my 20mg for two days, but I did feel restless and dizzy...the restless soon became severe anxiety so I actually stopped taking it and went back on paroxetine instead which I have no side effects from.

Perhaps Celexa isn't the right one for you? I tried Prozac first and hated it, then Aropax (paroxetine) which was great, then the one you are on (Citalopram) and hated it.....so I would suggest you first try to knock your dose back to 10mg, eat it with or after food, then after say 4-5 days, try a 20mg again...and if the side effects are still too much.......maybe try paroxetine?

The first time I took Paroxetine was for depression and it worked really well and was easy to come off when I was feeling better. This second time I started taking it was for anxiety, again it worked really well, but was hell to come off!! Hence I'm back on it again, although at half the dose (only 10mg a day insteaed of 20mg) and have again had no side effects.

Good luck, maybe check with your doc about reducing your dose for a few days, but i'm sure it will be fine.

KrazyKat

Hi Liz, you poor thing.....you've probably puked the drug down the toilet by now anyhow haha.

Did you eat before you took it? I know sometimes that can help. Also, what about knocking your dosage back to 10mg for the first few days while your body adjusts?

I know my ex partner said it made him feel 'spacey' when he first started taking it, quite out of it....but the sick puppy enjoyed it, which obviously you are not!!

I didn't feel nauseous exactly when i took my 20mg for two days, but I did feel restless and dizzy...the restless soon became severe anxiety so I actually stopped taking it and went back on paroxetine instead which I have no side effects from.

Perhaps Celexa isn't the right one for you? I tried Prozac first and hated it, then Aropax (paroxetine) which was great, then the one you are on (Citalopram) and hated it.....so I would suggest you first try to knock your dose back to 10mg, eat it with or after food, then after say 4-5 days, try a 20mg again...and if the side effects are still too much.......maybe try paroxetine?

The first time I took Paroxetine was for depression and it worked really well and was easy to come off when I was feeling better. This second time I started taking it was for anxiety, again it worked really well, but was hell to come off!! Hence I'm back on it again, although at half the dose (only 10mg a day insteaed of 20mg) and have again had no side effects.

Good luck, maybe check with your doc about reducing your dose for a few days, but i'm sure it will be fine.

KrazyKat

Ender

Ya i would suggest what Kat said...if you have the tablets break them in half and start with 10 mg. That's what i did. You'll find that after a week of 10, and upping it, the transition will be a lot easier to handle...and you won't really notice them. Also, if you can fall asleep with it, take it at night, and pass out...when you wake up most of the side effects should pass.

Good luck...

Kiel

Ender

Ya i would suggest what Kat said...if you have the tablets break them in half and start with 10 mg. That's what i did. You'll find that after a week of 10, and upping it, the transition will be a lot easier to handle...and you won't really notice them. Also, if you can fall asleep with it, take it at night, and pass out...when you wake up most of the side effects should pass.

Good luck...

Kiel

Ender

Good luck...

Kiel

thelizardqueen

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the 20mg again tomorrow, but I'm going to take it after eating (I took it on an empty stomach this morning). If it still doesn't work for me, I may just end up cutting the dose in half for the first week.

thelizardqueen

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the 20mg again tomorrow, but I'm going to take it after eating (I took it on an empty stomach this morning). If it still doesn't work for me, I may just end up cutting the dose in half for the first week.

thelizardqueen

catboogie

hey liz,

i had some of the side effects with celexa when i started it, too. i have been on other things with virtually no side effects so it was kind of frustrating. i did end up going off of it after a month or so. the side effects did get better, but i'm not sure they ever completely went away. i also wasn't noticing any benefits. i am not sure what dose i was on.

i don't know what to suggest about how to ease the transition...i'm surprised your doc didn't say anything to you about what to do if you had problems with the med.

good luck.

laura

catboogie

hey liz,

i had some of the side effects with celexa when i started it, too. i have been on other things with virtually no side effects so it was kind of frustrating. i did end up going off of it after a month or so. the side effects did get better, but i'm not sure they ever completely went away. i also wasn't noticing any benefits. i am not sure what dose i was on.

i don't know what to suggest about how to ease the transition...i'm surprised your doc didn't say anything to you about what to do if you had problems with the med.

good luck.

laura