celiac disease

miesl

Well, I can answer the one question...

Yes, there are patients with both CF and celiac. At one of the MN CF conferences, we met a parent who had a child with both.

Fruity

Just FYI for everyone, celiac disease is not an allergy, it is an intolerance to wheat/gluten in the small intestines that causes the villi (nutrient absorbing part of the GI system) to stunt and flatten, making them unable to absorb the nutrients of food. The blood test for celiac is around 85% accurate, so a biopsy is the true way to be diagnosed. I have a wheat intolerance, but it isn't celiac. I get a chemical imbalance that causes all heck to break loose in my body. I had the blood test and a biopsy to show that I didn't have celiac. So far as the doctors can tell, there isn't a reason for my body to be reacting to the wheat how violently it does, nor why potatoes do the same thing.

Be well, and good luck.

Ceci

Fruity

Just FYI for everyone, celiac disease is not an allergy, it is an intolerance to wheat/gluten in the small intestines that causes the villi (nutrient absorbing part of the GI system) to stunt and flatten, making them unable to absorb the nutrients of food. The blood test for celiac is around 85% accurate, so a biopsy is the true way to be diagnosed. I have a wheat intolerance, but it isn't celiac. I get a chemical imbalance that causes all heck to break loose in my body. I had the blood test and a biopsy to show that I didn't have celiac. So far as the doctors can tell, there isn't a reason for my body to be reacting to the wheat how violently it does, nor why potatoes do the same thing.

Be well, and good luck.

Ceci

Fruity

Be well, and good luck.

Ceci

LovingMommy

My 5 year old daughter whom has C.F., also has Celiac Disease. It is suppose to be quite rare for people with C.F to also have Celiac. She had a blood test to check for celiac, and shortly after the blood test, they did a biopsy of the intestine and confirmed the diagnosis.

LovingMommy

My 5 year old daughter whom has C.F., also has Celiac Disease. It is suppose to be quite rare for people with C.F to also have Celiac. She had a blood test to check for celiac, and shortly after the blood test, they did a biopsy of the intestine and confirmed the diagnosis.

LovingMommy

KMV77

I have a resident where I work that was dagnosed with Celiac sprue disease. We now get him all gluten free products. Not to alarm anyone but I think iirc if people continue to eat wheat products (not gluten free) intestinal cancer can arise.

KMV77

I have a resident where I work that was dagnosed with Celiac sprue disease. We now get him all gluten free products. Not to alarm anyone but I think iirc if people continue to eat wheat products (not gluten free) intestinal cancer can arise.

KMV77

Alyssa

There is a connection between Celiac and CF. Both are caused by European genetic mutations. I don't know how common or rare it is to have both, but I do know I was told if you have CF, your chances of having Celiac are higher than those without CF. It seems to me that if you have the CF genes, it is likely your sister could have the Celiac genes.

Ditto to everyone else -- blood test is 85% accurate, biopsy is best and yes, you have to be eating wheat for at least 10 days prior to the biopsy.

Alyssa

There is a connection between Celiac and CF. Both are caused by European genetic mutations. I don't know how common or rare it is to have both, but I do know I was told if you have CF, your chances of having Celiac are higher than those without CF. It seems to me that if you have the CF genes, it is likely your sister could have the Celiac genes.

Ditto to everyone else -- blood test is 85% accurate, biopsy is best and yes, you have to be eating wheat for at least 10 days prior to the biopsy.

Alyssa