cervical mucus

Scarlett81

I have the typical cf rubber cement cerv mucus during ovulation. That being said-I conceived on the 2nd month of trying using Robitussin, ovulation kits, and I do think that mymonthlycycles.com helped too. It helped me be in tune with my cycle.

Scarlett81

By the way-by rubber cement mucus, I mean thick, glob/jelly like mucus. Healthy cervical mucus should be clear and stretchy-when you get it on your fingers, you should be able to strech it a few inches, that means that sperm will easily swim through it. If its too thick, the sperm can't get through.

Scarlett81

By the way-by rubber cement mucus, I mean thick, glob/jelly like mucus. Healthy cervical mucus should be clear and stretchy-when you get it on your fingers, you should be able to strech it a few inches, that means that sperm will easily swim through it. If its too thick, the sperm can't get through.

Scarlett81

anonymous

so is cervical mucus a thing all women get or just cfers...i dunno much about it but do you usually get it once a month like a couple of weeks before your period (prob when you ovulate) ...sorry to be so uninformed but i guess i am....

anonymous

so is cervical mucus a thing all women get or just cfers...i dunno much about it but do you usually get it once a month like a couple of weeks before your period (prob when you ovulate) ...sorry to be so uninformed but i guess i am....

anonymous

Jennifer1981

My understanding is that it is a CF thing.

In a normal person, they have a little mucus but it is still normal in consistency, texture, and color. During ovulation, their bodies shed that small amount of mucus to allow fertilization.

In CF, we always have abnormal mucus lining in the cervix all the time. And when we ovulate, our bodies don't shed the extra mucus like our normal counterparts. That is why it is so much harder for CF women to conceive. Also, that is why CF women usually use Robitussin or Mucinex to thin the cervical mucus. Most CF women are not sterile, they just need a boost.

That is how my doctor explained it to me. I hope that helps. I am trying this month with the Robitussin after 1 year with nothing.

Jennifer 24 w/CF

Jennifer1981

In a normal person, they have a little mucus but it is still normal in consistency, texture, and color. During ovulation, their bodies shed that small amount of mucus to allow fertilization.

In CF, we always have abnormal mucus lining in the cervix all the time. And when we ovulate, our bodies don't shed the extra mucus like our normal counterparts. That is why it is so much harder for CF women to conceive. Also, that is why CF women usually use Robitussin or Mucinex to thin the cervical mucus. Most CF women are not sterile, they just need a boost.

That is how my doctor explained it to me. I hope that helps. I am trying this month with the Robitussin after 1 year with nothing.

Jennifer 24 w/CF

Jennifer1981

Jennifer 24 w/CF

Scarlett81

All women discharge cervical mucus every month when they ovulate. About 2 weeks after your period, it comes out. The only difference between cf women and noncfers is the mucus we discharge can be too thick, which makes it harder for some of us to conceive.
Cervical mucus is the key to conception b/c this is how the sperm get up into your uterus to find the egg. They have to swin through that fluid to get there. So for women, in this case mucus is a good thing if it of healthy consistency. But with us, if its too thick, the sperm get stuck and can't get to the egg. That's why we can take Mucinex or other mucus thinning drugs to help get pregnant.

Scarlett81

All women discharge cervical mucus every month when they ovulate. About 2 weeks after your period, it comes out. The only difference between cf women and noncfers is the mucus we discharge can be too thick, which makes it harder for some of us to conceive.
Cervical mucus is the key to conception b/c this is how the sperm get up into your uterus to find the egg. They have to swin through that fluid to get there. So for women, in this case mucus is a good thing if it of healthy consistency. But with us, if its too thick, the sperm get stuck and can't get to the egg. That's why we can take Mucinex or other mucus thinning drugs to help get pregnant.

Scarlett81

Y

yocelyn

hi, jennifer. i also have cystica fibrosis. i have tried to get pregnant for almost 4 years now im starting to let go of the idea of becoming a mother. i have heard of this robitussin before but there is so many im not sure which one is the one that might help me. i was hopping that you can tell me which one. well good luck.

yocelyn

Y

yocelyn

hi, jennifer. i also have cystica fibrosis. i have tried to get pregnant for almost 4 years now im starting to let go of the idea of becoming a mother. i have heard of this robitussin before but there is so many im not sure which one is the one that might help me. i was hopping that you can tell me which one. well good luck.

yocelyn

Y

yocelyn

yocelyn

Jennifer1981

Hi Yocelyn,

Good morning. How are you? First and foremost, does your doctor know that you are trying to conceive? Have you adjusted your meds and are you taking a Prenatal Vitamin? How is your FEV1? I'll be one of the first to comment that pregnancy may not be the best decision for all CF'ers. Are you on any exercise routine?

With that being said, please don't lose your hope yet. If still can happen and trying only 4 months with CF is nothing. Really, you have two choices. Either give it more time doing nothing like you are for a little longer. Well actually, have you been using any ovulation kits or basal temps during those past 4 months?

I honestly don't know too many CF women that conceived without doing anything. Wanderlost had a child in her early 20's without trying. LouLou is currently in her first trimester after only monitering her cycles for about 6-9 months with basal temps and ovulation kits. But again, I don't know too many that have been able to conceive with just monitering.

Scarlett81 is currently pregnant too. She did the basal temps, ovulation kits, and Robitussin. She's actually the one that introduced that concept to me. Also, she and I have a free account on mymonthlycycles.com to better moniter our cycles. The website also helps you better predict ovulation.

As far as the Robitussin, you MUST by the regular one - none with the CF, DM, or any other special formula lettering. If you have any doubts, check out a label on the Mucinex box. Again, the regular Mucinex box formula. They both should ONLY contain the Guiffensin (sorry spelling). DO NOT get any formula with cough aids or anything. They will hurt your baby. However, suggest this to your doctor because he may suggest the Mucinex over the Robitussin because Robitussin isn't really supposed to be great with CF'ers. There is an ingredient in it that some docs frown on with CF. Mucinex is more pricey, though. With the Robitussin, you take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day for the week before and the week of ovulation. I stopped taking it about 3 days after I ovulated. This was my first month with the kits and Robitussin. We'll see if it worked. I know with Scarlett81 it took 2 months of this. Well, I hope this helped.

Jennifer - now 25 w/CF

Jennifer1981

Hi Yocelyn,

Good morning. How are you? First and foremost, does your doctor know that you are trying to conceive? Have you adjusted your meds and are you taking a Prenatal Vitamin? How is your FEV1? I'll be one of the first to comment that pregnancy may not be the best decision for all CF'ers. Are you on any exercise routine?

With that being said, please don't lose your hope yet. If still can happen and trying only 4 months with CF is nothing. Really, you have two choices. Either give it more time doing nothing like you are for a little longer. Well actually, have you been using any ovulation kits or basal temps during those past 4 months?

I honestly don't know too many CF women that conceived without doing anything. Wanderlost had a child in her early 20's without trying. LouLou is currently in her first trimester after only monitering her cycles for about 6-9 months with basal temps and ovulation kits. But again, I don't know too many that have been able to conceive with just monitering.

Scarlett81 is currently pregnant too. She did the basal temps, ovulation kits, and Robitussin. She's actually the one that introduced that concept to me. Also, she and I have a free account on mymonthlycycles.com to better moniter our cycles. The website also helps you better predict ovulation.

As far as the Robitussin, you MUST by the regular one - none with the CF, DM, or any other special formula lettering. If you have any doubts, check out a label on the Mucinex box. Again, the regular Mucinex box formula. They both should ONLY contain the Guiffensin (sorry spelling). DO NOT get any formula with cough aids or anything. They will hurt your baby. However, suggest this to your doctor because he may suggest the Mucinex over the Robitussin because Robitussin isn't really supposed to be great with CF'ers. There is an ingredient in it that some docs frown on with CF. Mucinex is more pricey, though. With the Robitussin, you take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day for the week before and the week of ovulation. I stopped taking it about 3 days after I ovulated. This was my first month with the kits and Robitussin. We'll see if it worked. I know with Scarlett81 it took 2 months of this. Well, I hope this helped.

Jennifer - now 25 w/CF

Jennifer1981

Hi Yocelyn,

Jennifer - now 25 w/CF

Jennifer1981

Hey, it's me again. Also, check out the pregnancy section of the forum and do searches. That should help too.

Jennifer - now 25 w/CF