CF and Bad Breath....HELP!

JazzysMom

There are many things that can cause bad breath. If you breathe thru your mouth instead of your nose (due to polyps, cold etc), bacterias (MRSA & PA have distinct ordors), not brushing, flossing & gargling (be sure to do the tongue as well as your teeth) which allows food, meds & buildup from nebs to accumulate as well as acid reflux (even if you dont "feel" it).

Dehydration will do it also.

JazzysMom

There are many things that can cause bad breath. If you breathe thru your mouth instead of your nose (due to polyps, cold etc), bacterias (MRSA & PA have distinct ordors), not brushing, flossing & gargling (be sure to do the tongue as well as your teeth) which allows food, meds & buildup from nebs to accumulate as well as acid reflux (even if you dont "feel" it).

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />
<br />Dehydration will do it also.
<br />
<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Sinus infections can cause bad breath -- my non-cfer niece used to have the nastiest breath when she'd get a sinus infection.

And tonsil stones/chronically infected tonsils can cause REALLY rancid breath. Prior to my tonsilectomy, I struggled for years with this. Do you have white spots on your tonsils that look like cauliflour? Bleah! Still cringe when I think how nasty those things were!

Also, do you floss? If you don't, that could be the issue, too!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Sinus infections can cause bad breath -- my non-cfer niece used to have the nastiest breath when she'd get a sinus infection.

And tonsil stones/chronically infected tonsils can cause REALLY rancid breath. Prior to my tonsilectomy, I struggled for years with this. Do you have white spots on your tonsils that look like cauliflour? Bleah! Still cringe when I think how nasty those things were!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />And tonsil stones/chronically infected tonsils can cause REALLY rancid breath. Prior to my tonsilectomy, I struggled for years with this. Do you have white spots on your tonsils that look like cauliflour? Bleah! Still cringe when I think how nasty those things were!
<br />
<br />Also, do you floss? If you don't, that could be the issue, too!

mamerth

My hubby says when I don't flush everything out of my sinuses my breath smells like parmesan cheese. Usually another round of nasal flushing usually gets rid of the smell for a short while.

mamerth

My hubby says when I don't flush everything out of my sinuses my breath smells like parmesan cheese. Usually another round of nasal flushing usually gets rid of the smell for a short while.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

lauren04rdh

I'm a dental hygienist, so of course I say: make sure you have regular dental exams and cleanings. The smell could be coming from periodontal/gum disease, which is also very unhealthy to the rest of the body. Also try a tongue cleaner/scraper, followed by ALCOHOL FREE (or even all-natural) mouthwash. The alcohol dries out the mouth and cause even more bacterial growth in the long run.

With that said, the chronic sinus infections and sputum can make breath matters worse, even if oral hygiene is good.

lauren04rdh

I'm a dental hygienist, so of course I say: make sure you have regular dental exams and cleanings. The smell could be coming from periodontal/gum disease, which is also very unhealthy to the rest of the body. Also try a tongue cleaner/scraper, followed by ALCOHOL FREE (or even all-natural) mouthwash. The alcohol dries out the mouth and cause even more bacterial growth in the long run.

With that said, the chronic sinus infections and sputum can make breath matters worse, even if oral hygiene is good.

lauren04rdh

lauren04rdh

lauren04rdh

<br />
<br />With that said, the chronic sinus infections and sputum can make breath matters worse, even if oral hygiene is good.
<br />