CF and Family History

blindhearted

I notice people talking about having multiple cases of CF in their family (siblings, cousins, etc.). Is anyone the only one with CF in their family's history? I am the only offically known person with CF in my family. I know of family member who are carriers and unexplained deaths in children way back in my history, but that was before CF was ever known about, so we can only guess there. Sorry if it sounds stupid, but it was something I was curious about.

cfmomma

My son has CF. His dad has two cousins and had an aunt with CF. We don't know of anyone on my side that has or had it. My dad's uncle died of pnuemonia at the age of three--but we don't if it was due to CF or something else.

wuffles

I'm the only one in my family.

Not unlike you, there's one case way back in my family history where a child died because of "failure to thrive", but that's just guesswork.

anonymous

I too am the only one in a very large family. My father comes from a family of thirteen, my Mom four. Not quite half of my dad's sibs are carriers but no one else has been lucky enough to either marry another carrier or they just rolled the lucky dice. Until I did a family tree of sorts on CF did I realize that those who are carriers could be married to a carrier and were just lucky nothing happened. I think a lot of people find they are the only one, or that there is no family history related. Even going back on both my grandmother's sides (they are the carriers back that far) there is nothing really suspicous before that.

Sarah
28 w/cf, getting married in two weeks!

serendipity730

It isn't at all ununusual to not have a family history of CF and still have CF. I don't have a family history of CF either. In fact, there is only one individual in my family history (that I know of) who could have even poss. had CF, and even that would have been a long shot. Recessive diseases (where both parents have to be carriers) tend to only show up once every generation or so. It's most likely that you would see CF in two siblings or in your neices and nephews.

EmilysMom

We traced family history after Emily was diagnosed at two days of age and couldn't find anything on my mom's side except my cousin, Artie, who died at the age of 8 (keep in mind this was 40 years ago when they didn't know what CF was) due to several problems but they never really defined what killed him. They were very wishy washy on cause of death but I remember something about his bowels being twisted.
On my dad's side, we could oonly trace a short way because my great grandmother was adopted and there really aren't any records to trace.

JohnnaMarie

When i was born i was the only one in my family with Cf....un diagnosed CF........then later on my brother was born and then i was diagnosed after they found out he had it........I later found out that a relative on my mothers side had Cf and she is about my age and doing okay. I should try to get in contact with her.

anonymous

I am 44 with CF (yes, they did know what CF was 40 years ago!). I am the only one in a HUGE family with CF. We do not even have the children who died or anything. Just me.

NoDayButToday

I am the only known case of CF in my family. As for us CFers being related, I believe the CF gene can be traced back to one person hundreds of thousands of yeras ago, so we are all VERY distant relatives.

Emily65Roses

My mom didn't say this.... They tried to trace back and see if there were any other family members with CF in the past. But also I am the only one who has it among all my cousins, aunts, and uncles currently alive. So there may have been some in the past (though there's really no way to know), but as for now, I'm the only one.

Purplelungs

oopps I didnt meant to do that ^

I am the only one in my family with cf. We know of a handful that have the gene....that would be my parents and two cousins who got tested for the gene. Not really any body else. There are two people we guess about. One on my dads side....like my grandmothers cousin or sister i dunno i just know it was a lady. She died and no one really knew why (the ones alive i mean) but they think it was pnumonia. No my grandmother doesnt even know because she would say one time one thing and another something else...we think because she wants things to seem worse than they are sometimes and now she has dementia so she wouldnt remember or know what we are talking about. So thats only a guess and she died in her 20s early 30s. I seriously doubt she had cf unless i had more info on her. Then my dad had a brother..They said he was always soooo skinny and could eat anything. He had "bad asthma". My dad thinks he didnt have cf because he played sports and farmed fine, just had asthma problems and would get hot easy. Denial i think. His sister and her daughter got what i was saying and now they are curious and think he could have. I need to talk more to my aunt about him growing up. But he died in a car accident in his late teens early 20s. I think his symptoms are close enough for a mild case of cf. Other than those GUESSES...nothing nadda. I am the special one.

Purplelungs

OH and 40 years ago they knew about cf but it wasnt widely known....doctors even now dont know much about it and brush it off unless you have all symptoms and are really sick. So it doesnt surprise me in the least 40 years ago some doctors didnt do much about it. Even now some doctors are still ignorant and think you have to have a family history to consider a person having cf. So some people have to argue with their doctors on that issue.