CF and Family History

2sickkids

We had no fam history intill my oldest son then my baby then my little cousin's kid maternal side now possible older cousins kid paternal side. Many very small children on both sides died of respitory problems in the past. I thought it was odd no family history and then all the sudden one gen gets multiple cases. They are just getting around to testing me never tested me cause there was no fam history must likely I'm a symptomatic carrier.

anonymous

When my baby is born (I'm 29 weeks pregnant) he will be the first child in my family history to have CF. However, my Grandmother use to always tell us stories about her brother who died when he was just six years old, she was 12. She told us he caught Pnumonia and died in her mothers arms in 1923. Now, I wonder... could it have been CF? I guess I will never know.
Jen

anonymous

The only history in our family was on my mother's side...she has a cousin who's daughter passed away from cf awhile back. However, they neglected to educate both sides of the family that it takes BOTH parents to pass on the gene, so everyone thought it came from his wife's side of the family. We still do not know where it came from on my husband's side of the family. Thankfully our child is doing well!