CF athletes

roblake29

Hey, just wondered if we have any people with Cf here who would consider themselves 'athletes'? I am 24 wcf and just ran the London Marathon in April, and after having got in touch with some other athletes with Cf across the world (some who have done marathons, triathlons and Ironman), I was considring the idea of setting up some fundraising initiatives that involve athletic events. I mean like organising runs, walks, hikes etc. in various locations worldwide. Obviously physical exercise is very important for people with Cf, and encouraging and inspiring young people to get involved early on can be of real benefit to their health with Cf later. Also, I have read that continuing cardio-vascular exercise is of considerable use to adults with CF, but that once you stop, it is difficult to get back into it.So, in the light of this I just wanted to hear people's reactions to setting up a charity/website (I was thinking of calling it CFathletes.org) and getting some events underway. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, preferences, ideas, criticisms, feedback of any sort??? Does this sound like a good idea?Rob 24 wcf

anonymous

Rob, I think that is a great idea. I for one, don't have CF, but I know my husband and I would be interested in participating/donating to somthing like that. It is really important to get the education out there for the young CFers who are currently active; to not stop or slow thier activities as long as their bodies can tolerate. Because you are correct, once that momentum is stopped it is extremely difficult and almost impossible to start again. I think it would be worthwhile to start looking around for some start-up support if you are very serious. REach for the stars foundation, the CF foundation, Milan Foundation... to just give you some resources, contacts and such to start. but yes, I think that is a great idea. Julie (wife to Mark 24 w/CF)

roblake29

Awesome, thanks Julie. Yes, I am serious, but my first thoughts were to find out if people thought the idea was a good one and if the charity could prove useful in some ways. It seems most people think it could work, and this is the first step. However, as much as I am determined to see how far I can go with this idea, I am constrained by my hectic schedual at present (I am in the middle of my PhD)... but it is certainly something that I intend to take forward in the next year or two on a grander scale. Also, thank you for the advice in terms of start-up support. I will make connections with these organisations/charities in due course.Cheers my dearsRob 24 wcf

anonymous

Hey rob,I try to keep up my exercise or i find that i lose fitness very quickly. Your idea sounds great, would love to get involved. It would be great to meet like minded people in a similar situation.Dan 21 wcf

anonymous

Here is a recent article about a cross-country runner who has CF<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/sp_prep_sports/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19875_3963400,00.html">CF athelete</a>

anonymous

I am glad you guys are able to run, particularly if you are working with your original lungs.My self, I run occasionally...to the bathroom.I dream of running. If I ever get a transplant, maybe I can catch up to you all.God bless you all for making the most of your CF.34/CFUSA

Dottie

Hi Rob,
I have just started taking some time to read in this site and saw this from 2005. i was wondering how you are doing and if this ever came to be with you. I think it is a great idea and can proudly say exercise played a critical role in keeping me alive with CF, a lung transplant and kidney transplant and now proudly, a Nike Athlete.

I would be honored to help any way i can if this is still a goal of yours-it is a powerful and important message that i have held tightly to for many many years.

Never allow anything to take away your passion and determination, i admire your journey and message!

My Best
Dottie Lessard
diagnosed 6 weeks 1967
Lung tx 1994/Kidney 2002
LIVING LIFE FULLY

Dottie

Hi Rob,
I have just started taking some time to read in this site and saw this from 2005. i was wondering how you are doing and if this ever came to be with you. I think it is a great idea and can proudly say exercise played a critical role in keeping me alive with CF, a lung transplant and kidney transplant and now proudly, a Nike Athlete.

I would be honored to help any way i can if this is still a goal of yours-it is a powerful and important message that i have held tightly to for many many years.

Never allow anything to take away your passion and determination, i admire your journey and message!

My Best
Dottie Lessard
diagnosed 6 weeks 1967
Lung tx 1994/Kidney 2002
LIVING LIFE FULLY

Dottie

Hi Rob,

My Best
Dottie Lessard
diagnosed 6 weeks 1967
Lung tx 1994/Kidney 2002
LIVING LIFE FULLY

Dottie

Hi Rob,

My Best
Dottie Lessard
diagnosed 6 weeks 1967
Lung tx 1994/Kidney 2002
LIVING LIFE FULLY

Dottie

Hi Rob,
<br />I have just started taking some time to read in this site and saw this from 2005. i was wondering how you are doing and if this ever came to be with you. I think it is a great idea and can proudly say exercise played a critical role in keeping me alive with CF, a lung transplant and kidney transplant and now proudly, a Nike Athlete.
<br />
<br />I would be honored to help any way i can if this is still a goal of yours-it is a powerful and important message that i have held tightly to for many many years.
<br />
<br />Never allow anything to take away your passion and determination, i admire your journey and message!
<br />
<br />My Best
<br />Dottie Lessard
<br />diagnosed 6 weeks 1967
<br />Lung tx 1994/Kidney 2002
<br />LIVING LIFE FULLY

CFkarmakid

Hello Rob
I Have cf and I exercise a lot, I ran a half marathon a while ago. I go to college in Hawaii and this gives me great opportunity to Surf, I go out a couple times a week.
I know this was from 2005 but if your still down, I am.

CFkarmakid

Hello Rob
I Have cf and I exercise a lot, I ran a half marathon a while ago. I go to college in Hawaii and this gives me great opportunity to Surf, I go out a couple times a week.
I know this was from 2005 but if your still down, I am.

CFkarmakid

Hello Rob
<br />I Have cf and I exercise a lot, I ran a half marathon a while ago. I go to college in Hawaii and this gives me great opportunity to Surf, I go out a couple times a week.
<br />I know this was from 2005 but if your still down, I am.

lxf19

Most customers want that we do Professions Power Leveling, Honor killing Power Leveling and Reputation Power Leveling for them. Now we offer the special prices that get 10% off. Thanks our loyal customers choose our service and we will still offer more specialsRuneScape Gold for you.
We still focus on the speed of tradingRuneScape Gold . So we are collecting wow gold to our stock 24/7 non-stop. And we are so happy that there are many loyal customers choose our service for the Cheap RS Gold. We will still do the fastest delivery to our lovely customers. Come on ,chick it to Buy WOW Gold.

lxf19

Most customers want that we do Professions Power Leveling, Honor killing Power Leveling and Reputation Power Leveling for them. Now we offer the special prices that get 10% off. Thanks our loyal customers choose our service and we will still offer more specialsRuneScape Gold for you.
We still focus on the speed of tradingRuneScape Gold . So we are collecting wow gold to our stock 24/7 non-stop. And we are so happy that there are many loyal customers choose our service for the Cheap RS Gold. We will still do the fastest delivery to our lovely customers. Come on ,chick it to Buy WOW Gold.

lxf19

<br />We still focus on the speed of tradingRuneScape Gold . So we are collecting wow gold to our stock 24/7 non-stop. And we are so happy that there are many loyal customers choose our service for the Cheap RS Gold. We will still do the fastest delivery to our lovely customers. Come on ,chick it to Buy WOW Gold.