CF careers-ultrasound or human resources

kmhbeauty

I am almost done with my associates degree (went back to school later) and I need to figure out which direction to take for a career. I was thinking about going into medical sonographer (ultrasound tech) or getting a bachelors in human resource management. I live in CA and well if you don't have experience, even if you have schooling, it is hard to find a job right now. Ultrasound schools in CA are very hard to get into. I will have to do one years worth of pre-reqs and then hope to get into the one school that is accredited in my area (loma linda). Once I get into the program it is two years long, ful time, mon-fri 730am-430pm. If I choose the human resources program, I have one more semester of pre-reqs an then I could transfer and its a two year program after that. My main question is, Im a healthy CFer, and am doing really well. I work and go to school. My main problem is I can not wake up early, when I do, I get very run down. Looking at my two career options, is there anything that you all would recommend? Is there anyone out there in one of these fields? Which do you all would think is a better career choice for a healthy CFer, but one who wants to stay healthy. Any other career options that you could recommend that are maybe in business or medical? I know a lot of you went to school and are very educated, please help me. Im 27 so I just want to get settled into something and be able to later have a child also. I wish I started after high school because I would not feel so pressured to find a career quick.

Melissa75

Administrator
The think the skill set for the two jobs you mention is fairly different, so you can also ask yourself what you are more interested in doing and better suited to do skill and talent-wise.

I worked in a hotel's HR dept one summer as a substitute for someone on maternity leave. She was the second in command, but they took college-student me for three months because I speak Spanish. Intense organizational abilities in terms of computer and physical files were a must. Also careful diplomacy in speaking with employees and applicants so that you don't get your company in trouble. Enjoyment of being around people all the time and helping people with a variety of problems (immigration and medical paperwork).
I bet someone knows more than I do from just a brief summer, but I figured I'd share what little I do know.

As for U/S tech, one of my friends was looking into it as a career change. I only know about the job from her and from being a pregnant and cardiac patient getting U/S's. I thought she was perfectly suited for it, though, because she has a gentle and positive demeanor, is very good with equipment like cameras, and has a eye for details and precision. She wanted the greater flexibility this job offered in terms of hours compared with her 9-5 job.

Hope this helps, and that others comment.

W

welshwitch

Given the choice, I would stay away from any job in which you had to work in a hospital (ie, the ultrasound job, assuming you would be). The reason is that a lot of hospitals have incredibly strict protocols regarding any type of bacteria. Ie, if you were to acquire MRSA there could be some negative repercussions. OR you would be exposed to a lot of germs and sick people if you were to be in a hospital on a day-to-day basis. I'd just be on the safe side and shoot for a non-hospital job. Give yourself a break --- jobs are stressful enough :) The HR path sounds really cool and you could work in a variety of fields.

kmhbeauty

Yeah that's what I was thinking, the ultrasound sounds amazing because I like the medical field, but at the end of the day, it just isn't a good idea. I made a decision and I am going to go towards HR. I think I might have to get my masters to actually have a chance at a job, but that's ok. The schooling is also a personal goal. I thought I would never go back but I did. Thanks for the advice both of you :)

to be honest. i graduated 9 months ago with my degree in ultrasound. I STILL cannot find a job!:[ The entire ultrasound program is very demanding in hours and studying and everything. i would not have done it had i known that BUT i do love it. i live in CA as well. I am moving to the long beach area so hopefully that opens more doors for me job wise. There are plenty of things you can do to protect yourself heathwise in a hospital also, wearing masks washing hands always using gloves. In the end it is how much you can physically handle. ultrasound is almost always nonstop

kmhbeauty

to be honest. i graduated 9 months ago with my degree in ultrasound. I STILL cannot find a job!:[ The entire ultrasound program is very demanding in hours and studying and everything. i would not have done it had i known that BUT i do love it. i live in CA as well. I am moving to the long beach area so hopefully that opens more doors for me job wise. There are plenty of things you can do to protect yourself heathwise in a hospital also, wearing masks washing hands always using gloves. In the end it is how much you can physically handle. ultrasound is almost always nonstop
Where did you go to school at? Was the school accredited? It is so hard to get into the accredited schools around here. I am a cocktail waitress at a busy winery so I run around like crazy. I know I could do the ultrasound hours, but anything over 8 hour shift does make me run down. Yeah, that ultrasound schooling is demanding, that's why I wasn't sure about it. I knew it was going to be a huge gamble considering money, my health, making it though the schooling, having a life outside school, ect.

yeah i went to school at SJVC in Bakersfield CA and it was not accredited so i have to wait a year to take my registry but they said i wouldnt have a problem haha riiiighhhtt. anyways, yes money wise and you get really exhausted. But you should always make the decison based on what you WANT. :]

kmhbeauty

The unaccredited thing is going to be difficult. Do you have a Bachelors in anything? That is really the only way of getting around the unaccredited school thing. That bugs me that they made it sound like it would be easy to find a full time job after school, so untrue. If you don't end up finding something, look into getting a Bachelors in anything so you can take your registry. I was looking into Platt College because they offer a BA in DMS, they are not accredited, but you would still be able to take your registry right after school. The main problem I had with Platt was that the schooling would cost 60k an it was an hour drive. If the school was around 30k and wasn't so far, I would of done it. 60k is just a crazy risk. When you move to long beach, look into your options, you will probably have a better chance of making it out there then where you are now. I figured also if worst comes to worst, after I get my BA in HR, I could always go to an unaccredited school later. Some companies will accept people from an unaccredited program and some prefer an accredited but at least I would be able to do my registries. I probably would look into Platt, they were the only unaccredited school that seemed good. If you go for just the associates at Platt, I believe its around 30k.

65rosessamurai

Perhaps there is no need to limit yourselves to Ultrasound for humans. I was in the non-destructive testing field, in which inanimate objects were being tested. Basis is the same, but additional factors come in, which doesn't include testing on human lives, but does occasionally have a different work environment that may or may not be "healthy". I think it is worth looking into. From Airplanes to semiconductors, Ultrasound testing has been used. And you don't even have to stay in Ultrasound, I had been exposed to other test methods, such as infra-red (thermal) and such. With an ultrasound base, perhaps its worth checking out options in similar fields...just a suggestion

rmotion

Having always worked hard and gone to school and had a very successful career and now own my own business. Looking back I wish I did things different, I struggled and still do. We all want to work and need to work but our health is a huge problem we have to factor in. I think we think if we feel well then I should work as much as possible. We work hard to feel normal and productive and to hide from our health. I have done it for the last 23 years. I wish I was smarter about it and had more planning. You are looking a two jobs and comparing them to each other. But what job can you do to put your health first. What are your financial requirements. Do you have enough SSDI work credits to qualify for disability, can you work for the next five years and then qualify( if need be). I am going through the same thing right now. I need to not work so much and work on my health. My goal and probably our collective goal is to see what the next few years brings for us in regard to these new drugs. Will they allow us a break from CF will they help us live better. We want these asap and hopefully they are coming soon, so what can we do in the interim to stay well. There will always be a job to do or a class to go to but at the end we are still dealing with our health. I look at the landscape over the next 2-8 years and feel CF patients will have options and more drugs to give us a life. Imagine if we can create a perfect job what would that look like. Maybe there are other medical jobs out there that you can do. I just had an ultra sound done yesterday and I am sure it just becomes another day another patient, the tech seemed nice but not sure. I know they pay pretty well as a job but like anything you have to get there. Do some soul searching and planning and see what you come up with based on what your health needs are. I have purposely crafted all my career choices for the most part around my health problems and limitations. I don't think I could go back and get a nine to five job and say hey I need to take 4 months off a year for medical reasons, tough to accommodate that. Ok good luck and keep us posted.

kmhbeauty

Hello, thank you for the advice. How do I find out if I have enough SSDI work credits? I have never looked into that but it would be good info to know. I have worked for the past 10 years straight. I really never not had a job, and I have never used unemployment. The jobs I have had were just your basic jobs, waitress and assistant manager in retail. I was also thinking about the new coming drugs since I am ddf508. Right now I have medi cal. It makes me wonder, maybe I shoud not strive to make too much money. Just enough where I can still get my medical insurance and qualify. Just random thinking. I am not to the point where I have to take time off every year but the nice thing about being a waitress is taking time off is super easy. I have not gotten sick (fingers crossed) since I started my new job (cocktail waitress at a winery) in a year now, so we shall see how it goes once I do. Ive been making sure I get plenty of sleep and I juice a lot to keep healthy because I really cant take time off work. I don't have anyone to help me financially. I have my fiancé but he really doesn't have any money to spare and has to take care of a 6 year old (his son). Thinking about this, health is going to be vital in the career choice because I cant afford to get sick. I just gave one of my shifts away for the first time in one year and I can barely afford to do that. Sadly taking one day off, hurts my wallet for bills.