Cf && Depression

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Feeling depressed is very common, especially if you have so much to deal with with your health. You might want to ask your doctor about getting an antidepressant. They will understand. You could also ask your clinic nurse or socila worker. Zoloft has really helped my boys!!

i know the doctor will understand its my dad im worried about.. he has a weird way with emotions.. nd he try's to understand this CF thing but he cant nd he gets mad when i say i wanna be normal and im scared if he knows im depressed he will take it the wrong way.. its hard to explain

Meagan

i know the doctor will understand its my dad im worried about.. he has a weird way with emotions.. nd he try's to understand this CF thing but he cant nd he gets mad when i say i wanna be normal and im scared if he knows im depressed he will take it the wrong way.. its hard to explain

Meagan

Meagan

karenanne99

Hey Meagan...
Im 18 too and i completely understand what you mean. I dunno if you are living on your own and going to university or not yet but believe me sometimes I get soo down.
You just really need to find a way to deal with it. Alot of times I just feel so bad about myself and FOR myself. I would often not hangout with friends when they wanted to or just sleep all the timme. But you have to remeber that even if you "dont feel like it" you should hangout with someone who loves you...it really helps to be arond other ppl ( they can support you kinda)...even if they dont COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling and what you are dealing with.
Also be sure to find a way to cope ...even if it takes seeing a doctor or you might make mistakes like thinking alcohol will help ( I was guilty of that ) Anyways I dunno if i make sence so i better head out!! Good Luck........Karen

karenanne99

Hey Meagan...
Im 18 too and i completely understand what you mean. I dunno if you are living on your own and going to university or not yet but believe me sometimes I get soo down.
You just really need to find a way to deal with it. Alot of times I just feel so bad about myself and FOR myself. I would often not hangout with friends when they wanted to or just sleep all the timme. But you have to remeber that even if you "dont feel like it" you should hangout with someone who loves you...it really helps to be arond other ppl ( they can support you kinda)...even if they dont COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling and what you are dealing with.
Also be sure to find a way to cope ...even if it takes seeing a doctor or you might make mistakes like thinking alcohol will help ( I was guilty of that ) Anyways I dunno if i make sence so i better head out!! Good Luck........Karen

karenanne99

Hey Meagan...

thx for the reply karen.. im guilty of the drinking thing and smoking thing.. ive done them both to overcome depression but that was almost 2 yrs ago.. now i dnt do that stuff nd i really dnt know how to cope with nd this sounds weird but im scared to let anybody " in " to help ya know.. im scared the more people i try to let " in " will either hurt me or i will hurt them

thx for the reply karen.. im guilty of the drinking thing and smoking thing.. ive done them both to overcome depression but that was almost 2 yrs ago.. now i dnt do that stuff nd i really dnt know how to cope with nd this sounds weird but im scared to let anybody " in " to help ya know.. im scared the more people i try to let " in " will either hurt me or i will hurt them

anonymous

Hi Meagan,

I don't have cf (my daughter does) so I haven't completly been in your shoes. But, I have bee you age and trying to deal with a lot of stuff, and I have been depressed. There are two things I know for sure:
1. It will not go away or get better on its own. You may not need meds, but you do need someone to help you start sorting things out. For me, seeing a therapist was the kick I needed to get my stuff back togehter. Basically, it pissed me off and that gave the motivation to do something aobut the cause of my depression. Your scenario is totally different, I understand, but in some way, you need to reach out to a professional, at any cost.

2. You dad is you dad. He loves you and wants you to be happy. Regardless of his emotional issues or his inital reaction to learnig that ;you are depressed, he has your best interests at heart. You owe it to yourself and to him to talk to him about this. I was reluctant to talk about my depression with others, too. I was afraid of being judged, pitited, rebuked, ignored...but, once I mase up my mind that something had to be done and I started asking for help, I was given so much unconditional support from those that I love the most...and that alkone really started to make a difference for me.

I will keep you in my toughts and hope that you can find some way to make some changes to this current situation. It is not easy. It is hell. You deserve better.
Take care and update us. I'll be checking in on you.

Best wishes!

anonymous

Hi Meagan,

I don't have cf (my daughter does) so I haven't completly been in your shoes. But, I have bee you age and trying to deal with a lot of stuff, and I have been depressed. There are two things I know for sure:
1. It will not go away or get better on its own. You may not need meds, but you do need someone to help you start sorting things out. For me, seeing a therapist was the kick I needed to get my stuff back togehter. Basically, it pissed me off and that gave the motivation to do something aobut the cause of my depression. Your scenario is totally different, I understand, but in some way, you need to reach out to a professional, at any cost.

2. You dad is you dad. He loves you and wants you to be happy. Regardless of his emotional issues or his inital reaction to learnig that ;you are depressed, he has your best interests at heart. You owe it to yourself and to him to talk to him about this. I was reluctant to talk about my depression with others, too. I was afraid of being judged, pitited, rebuked, ignored...but, once I mase up my mind that something had to be done and I started asking for help, I was given so much unconditional support from those that I love the most...and that alkone really started to make a difference for me.

I will keep you in my toughts and hope that you can find some way to make some changes to this current situation. It is not easy. It is hell. You deserve better.

Best wishes!

anonymous

Hi Meagan,

Best wishes!

anonymous

I've been depressed with thoughts of suicide before and it sucks, I know how you feel. Once I got to college (lucky i made it so far) things have improved. For me anti-depressants scare the heck out of me, I've come to find out that your friends and family will normally do all they can to help you as long as you try and help yourself. Talk to your dad, its incredibly common to be depressed at that age and moreso with Cystic Fibrosis (my own observation, just what I think) Your dad will likely understand and try and help.

anonymous

I've been depressed with thoughts of suicide before and it sucks, I know how you feel. Once I got to college (lucky i made it so far) things have improved. For me anti-depressants scare the heck out of me, I've come to find out that your friends and family will normally do all they can to help you as long as you try and help yourself. Talk to your dad, its incredibly common to be depressed at that age and moreso with Cystic Fibrosis (my own observation, just what I think) Your dad will likely understand and try and help.

anonymous

anonymous

hi my names coleen im 17 and i do not have c.f but my 16 year old brother did, he often got depressed and didnt no what was going to happen to him and it really dragged him down, he couldnt oncentrate on the life he had at times and would only concentrate on the life he did not have. It was very difficult trying to support my brother sometimes he would cry for days especially after his best friend died of cf when she was only 15. He would refuse his treatment and would say over and over again " i just wont to be normal" but c.f does not determine who you are its something that you deal with. I obviously dont no wat you are going through first hand but i do have an idea. My brother daniel found it helpfull to see a concilour but as a friend rather then a docter and it helped him, yes true not always but it made him smile and live his life to the full, and i no if my brother had a nouther chance at his life he would try and be happy and not be so down on himself. You can and will do it, im sure you are an incredible person. Please try and to think positivly it will make you feel better on the indide aswell. I hope this helps a little bit and i wish you a long and happy life. I no my brother would of liked that.