CF/Feeding Tube and High blood sugar

DannysMom

Help. My son has Cf and has the feeding tube G/J. He has severe reflux and uses the Jejunal (J tube)for his night feedings and the GAstric (G tube) for his meds and any bolus feeds during the day.. He is an awful eater.. This last hospital stay they said his sugar was high due to the feedings at night. He is also on IV meds and Prednisone. They started him on Insulin injections before the feeds and has been doing them now for 2 weeks. His Sugar is around 300 at night. It hasn't changed in two weeks. They want us to think about the pump. We have questioned about doing another formula at night. A diabetic formula, but they said it wouldn't digest correctly thru the Jejunal.. They keep saying it is not diabetes but Hyperglycemia and also could just be medication induced.. Has anyone had this problem?

DannysMom

Help. My son has Cf and has the feeding tube G/J. He has severe reflux and uses the Jejunal (J tube)for his night feedings and the GAstric (G tube) for his meds and any bolus feeds during the day.. He is an awful eater.. This last hospital stay they said his sugar was high due to the feedings at night. He is also on IV meds and Prednisone. They started him on Insulin injections before the feeds and has been doing them now for 2 weeks. His Sugar is around 300 at night. It hasn't changed in two weeks. They want us to think about the pump. We have questioned about doing another formula at night. A diabetic formula, but they said it wouldn't digest correctly thru the Jejunal.. They keep saying it is not diabetes but Hyperglycemia and also could just be medication induced.. Has anyone had this problem?

DannysMom

DannysMom

DannysMom

JazzysMom

Although the feeds can cause it I have NO doubt that Prednisone is contributing moreso....

I dont know how different it is for the tube feeds, but I know for me when I have sugar issues (med induced or otherwise) that I have a standard dose (some count carbs) & then there is a sliding scale to adjust up the amount of insulin needed based on what the numbers are.

I, personally, wouldnt jump to an insulin pump while he is on the prednisone. Now once he is off of that & if he continues to have high sugars then I can see it.

I also dont know enough about tube feedings to understand how/why there is a diabetic version of a formula that cant be used. It doesnt make sense to me....

Hopefully others with more experience will speak up!

JazzysMom

Although the feeds can cause it I have NO doubt that Prednisone is contributing moreso....

I dont know how different it is for the tube feeds, but I know for me when I have sugar issues (med induced or otherwise) that I have a standard dose (some count carbs) & then there is a sliding scale to adjust up the amount of insulin needed based on what the numbers are.

I, personally, wouldnt jump to an insulin pump while he is on the prednisone. Now once he is off of that & if he continues to have high sugars then I can see it.

I also dont know enough about tube feedings to understand how/why there is a diabetic version of a formula that cant be used. It doesnt make sense to me....

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I dont know how different it is for the tube feeds, but I know for me when I have sugar issues (med induced or otherwise) that I have a standard dose (some count carbs) & then there is a sliding scale to adjust up the amount of insulin needed based on what the numbers are.
<br />
<br />I, personally, wouldnt jump to an insulin pump while he is on the prednisone. Now once he is off of that & if he continues to have high sugars then I can see it.
<br />
<br />I also dont know enough about tube feedings to understand how/why there is a diabetic version of a formula that cant be used. It doesnt make sense to me....
<br />
<br />Hopefully others with more experience will speak up!

C

ClairesMom

Hi there - I have a 12 year old daughter with CF. She does a feeding tube at night and has a pretty normal appetite during the day. Last year she was in the hospital and on steroids in IV form..that's when the high blood sugar started. Upwards of 300 at times. They decided to start using insulin, counting sugars and carbs, etc...turned out when the steroids were stopped, her blood sugar normalized a bit. She has since developed CFRD (CF Related Diabetes) and uses a long acting insulin (Lantis) at 7pm which holds her for 24 hours, through her feeding tube and all meals throughout the day. When we spot check her, she is usually fine, sometimes actually a little low. I know from experience over the last year that when she's fighting an infection, her blood sugar will raise slightly. That's become a good indicator for us. I have done a little research on CFRD and found that it is pretty common for our CFers to develop this at around teenage years because the pancreas is compromised. I would recommend doing a long acting insulin at bedtime rather than another pump to manage - I hope this helps!!
Melissa

C

ClairesMom

Hi there - I have a 12 year old daughter with CF. She does a feeding tube at night and has a pretty normal appetite during the day. Last year she was in the hospital and on steroids in IV form..that's when the high blood sugar started. Upwards of 300 at times. They decided to start using insulin, counting sugars and carbs, etc...turned out when the steroids were stopped, her blood sugar normalized a bit. She has since developed CFRD (CF Related Diabetes) and uses a long acting insulin (Lantis) at 7pm which holds her for 24 hours, through her feeding tube and all meals throughout the day. When we spot check her, she is usually fine, sometimes actually a little low. I know from experience over the last year that when she's fighting an infection, her blood sugar will raise slightly. That's become a good indicator for us. I have done a little research on CFRD and found that it is pretty common for our CFers to develop this at around teenage years because the pancreas is compromised. I would recommend doing a long acting insulin at bedtime rather than another pump to manage - I hope this helps!!
Melissa

C

ClairesMom

Melissa

C

ClairesMom

Melissa

C

ClairesMom

<br />Melissa

dasjsmum

I dont think you mentioon the age of your child? As was already stated, prednisone will raise BGL due to insulin resistance. My son developed type 1 diabetes in dec 08 on top of his cf.He went strraight onto four injections a day, Lantus (long acting) and Nova Rapid (short acting for bolus).

We received a grant and were able to purchase an insulin pump. The pump is fantastic, so much better then injections, stabilises the BGL heaps better, and dont have to have injections count carbs etc.

You might think the pump is connected in some permanent way, but it isnt. It is connected via a small catheter to the tummy or back for three days then has to be changed. The application of the small catheter that sits under the skin is virtually painless and takes a couple of minutes. You work out the exchanges of carbs, do a BGL, key that and the carbs into the pump and it delivers the right amount of bolus for the meal, plus tiny bolus doses over 24hrs.

The pump is actually less work for you and your child.It will help you a lot, take a lot of pressure off. I would definitely recommend it. Although, it is odd that the pump has been considered since the high BGL would be temporary I believe.

dasjsmum

I dont think you mentioon the age of your child? As was already stated, prednisone will raise BGL due to insulin resistance. My son developed type 1 diabetes in dec 08 on top of his cf.He went strraight onto four injections a day, Lantus (long acting) and Nova Rapid (short acting for bolus).

We received a grant and were able to purchase an insulin pump. The pump is fantastic, so much better then injections, stabilises the BGL heaps better, and dont have to have injections count carbs etc.

You might think the pump is connected in some permanent way, but it isnt. It is connected via a small catheter to the tummy or back for three days then has to be changed. The application of the small catheter that sits under the skin is virtually painless and takes a couple of minutes. You work out the exchanges of carbs, do a BGL, key that and the carbs into the pump and it delivers the right amount of bolus for the meal, plus tiny bolus doses over 24hrs.

The pump is actually less work for you and your child.It will help you a lot, take a lot of pressure off. I would definitely recommend it. Although, it is odd that the pump has been considered since the high BGL would be temporary I believe.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<br />
<br />We received a grant and were able to purchase an insulin pump. The pump is fantastic, so much better then injections, stabilises the BGL heaps better, and dont have to have injections count carbs etc.
<br />
<br />You might think the pump is connected in some permanent way, but it isnt. It is connected via a small catheter to the tummy or back for three days then has to be changed. The application of the small catheter that sits under the skin is virtually painless and takes a couple of minutes. You work out the exchanges of carbs, do a BGL, key that and the carbs into the pump and it delivers the right amount of bolus for the meal, plus tiny bolus doses over 24hrs.
<br />
<br />The pump is actually less work for you and your child.It will help you a lot, take a lot of pressure off. I would definitely recommend it. Although, it is odd that the pump has been considered since the high BGL would be temporary I believe.