CF Kids and Pets?

NKPOWER

Hi - I am new to this forum. My sweet niece is 5 years old and has CF. She falls sick often and misses school. I wish that she could enjoy life like any other kid. She is so smart and spunky. I want to know if she can have a dog or cat. Would this be bad for her CF condition? Thanks for your info.

Beccamom

I agree that pets can be wonderful company especially when sick. I would suggest testing for allergies before getting the pet. Also since you are the Aunt I would make sure you are prepared to take the pet during hospital stays etc. I find it difficult to find pet care as needed.

C

Cherylwithone

We have 3 cats, one dog and one chinchilla. My daughter has CF and is now 19.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I think only if there are issues with allergies. Though ds' cf doc isn't a fan of cats. Not sure if its an allergy issue or litterbox concern. We did ask about our dog and he wasn't concerned

LeChampion

My family has always had a dog...and have had no problems. I also competively show horses and do well with that...with the exception of the dust and hay sometimes bothering me in our barn.

running4life

I wouldn't be as healthy without my lab. We run and walk almost daily. If I am too sick, I have to bring him to my mom's house to run around in the backyard since I don't have one. I have always had dogs growing up and they always got me outside running and playing which is great to CF. Plus, my dog gets me out of bed every single day. The love from a dog is irreplaceable.