CF mentioned on NCAA Basketball tourney broadcast

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey everyone,

Just thought this was kind of cool. Last week when my husband and I were watching the Ohio State vs. Iona game we noticed the Iona head coach and coaching staff were wearing warm ups, as opposed to a suit and tie. The announcers went on to say that the Iona basketball team and staff had been wearing the warm-ups all season to bring awareness to cystic fibrosis. They even had to get special permission from the NCAA to wear them at the tournament. They said someone on the team has a child close to them who has cystic fibrosis, they were a little vague about the relationship, but that's neither here nor there! :) They mentioned cystic fibrosis more than once and went onto say it was a disease that needs attention, so that was great!!

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that CF got a shout out!! Maybe I will start following Iona basketball? ;)

Autumn 32 w/CF

albino15

I agree that it needs more awareness but lately it has been popping up more, especially on TV shows. I can name a few TV shows within the past few years where it's gotten a mention or had a character with the disease. A Canadian show called Degrassi, a show on TNT called Falling Skies and most recently a new show on A&E called Bates Motel. Also on two medical dramadies, Royal Pains (but that was just a quick name drop) and Emily Owens MD. Huh, maybe I watch too much TV. LOL

ForeverDance

I didn't realize there was a character on Degrassi with CF. I haven't watched that since the original when I was a kid (which was a while ago now) and my DD15 just never got into it.

albino15

Degrassi didn't have a character with CF they just mentioned it. I think one of the characters new someone with a brother who had it or something like that. It was a year or so ago.

triples15

Super Moderator
what is the NCAA Basketball Tourney?

I abbreviated tournament to "tourney". It's a college basketball tournament. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

The NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship is a single-elimination tournament played each spring in the United States, currently featuring 68 college basketball teams, to determine the national championship of the major college basketball teams. The tournament, organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), was created during 1939 by the National Association of Basketball Coaches, and was the idea of Ohio State University coach Harold Olsen.[SUP][1][/SUP] Played mostly during March, it is known informally as March Madness or the Big Dance, and has become one of the most famous annual sporting events in the United States.

If you've ever heard the term "March Madness", they are referring to this basketball tournament. A lot of people watch, so I was glad to hear CF mentioned!

Take Care,

Autumn