CF newbie..30 yrs old

cmorgan

Hi there. Brand new to the forum and I was wondering if everyone could help me get up to speed with CF. I haven't had any issues with my lungs until the end of '06 when I was hospitalized with pneumonia. Ever since then, I have started coughing up mucus on a continuous daily basis and have started to use clearance devices such as the flutter and inhaled albuterol and hypertonic saline to remove said mucus. My question is: How do you guys pay for your CF related materials? I don't have insurance and the cost of these preliminary medicines/devices are beyond belief.( i.e. Tobi!!!) I can't keep skirting the issues, so I wanted to ask people who know about CF how they make it happen. Thanks.

-Bink

cmorgan

Hi there. Brand new to the forum and I was wondering if everyone could help me get up to speed with CF. I haven't had any issues with my lungs until the end of '06 when I was hospitalized with pneumonia. Ever since then, I have started coughing up mucus on a continuous daily basis and have started to use clearance devices such as the flutter and inhaled albuterol and hypertonic saline to remove said mucus. My question is: How do you guys pay for your CF related materials? I don't have insurance and the cost of these preliminary medicines/devices are beyond belief.( i.e. Tobi!!!) I can't keep skirting the issues, so I wanted to ask people who know about CF how they make it happen. Thanks.

-Bink

cmorgan

-Bink

cmorgan

-Bink

cmorgan

<br />
<br />-Bink

BaylorCrew07

Bink,

You will probably qualify for assistance in paying for your meds; <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cfpaf.org/">check out this website</a>

The link above has a quick calculator, which will tell you if you qualify for assistance. I just discovered it a few months ago, and it's been a lifesaver.

Also, TOBI has a $10 co-pay card. Call 1-877-999-8624 to get set up.

Hope this helps; I know the costs are ridiculous!!

BaylorCrew07

Bink,

You will probably qualify for assistance in paying for your meds; <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cfpaf.org/">check out this website</a>

The link above has a quick calculator, which will tell you if you qualify for assistance. I just discovered it a few months ago, and it's been a lifesaver.

BaylorCrew07

Bink,

BaylorCrew07

Bink,

BaylorCrew07

Bink,
<br />
<br />You will probably qualify for assistance in paying for your meds; <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cfpaf.org/">check out this website</a>
<br />
<br />The link above has a quick calculator, which will tell you if you qualify for assistance. I just discovered it a few months ago, and it's been a lifesaver.
<br />
<br />Also, TOBI has a $10 co-pay card. Call 1-877-999-8624 to get set up.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps; I know the costs are ridiculous!!

cmorgan

Thank you for the response. I checked that cf website you mentioned and my income disqualified me. I guess what I'm figuring out...is that if you have CF and a certain income level, then you're on your own. Problem is, if I pay for this CF out of pocket, it would pretty much break me financially. So then my family is up the creek. Catch 22, I guess. Pay for the CF outright, be broke, and live longer. Or I can DIY to the best of my ability as I've been doing, live much shorter, and have my standard of living stay the same for the time I have.

cmorgan

Thank you for the response. I checked that cf website you mentioned and my income disqualified me. I guess what I'm figuring out...is that if you have CF and a certain income level, then you're on your own. Problem is, if I pay for this CF out of pocket, it would pretty much break me financially. So then my family is up the creek. Catch 22, I guess. Pay for the CF outright, be broke, and live longer. Or I can DIY to the best of my ability as I've been doing, live much shorter, and have my standard of living stay the same for the time I have.

cmorgan

cmorgan

cmorgan

BaylorCrew07

Yeah, I understand your frustration. Fortunately (I guess?) my job pays me really poorly, so I qualify for assistance for now.

However, once my bf and I get married, with both of our incomes, I will no longer qualify. He makes more than me, but it will still be a huge financial strain to make the payments w/o assistance, even with both of our incomes.

BaylorCrew07

Yeah, I understand your frustration. Fortunately (I guess?) my job pays me really poorly, so I qualify for assistance for now.

However, once my bf and I get married, with both of our incomes, I will no longer qualify. He makes more than me, but it will still be a huge financial strain to make the payments w/o assistance, even with both of our incomes.

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />However, once my bf and I get married, with both of our incomes, I will no longer qualify. He makes more than me, but it will still be a huge financial strain to make the payments w/o assistance, even with both of our incomes.